• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uglesich's Cookbook is Out!

Mayhaw Man

The Uglesich's Cookbook. Butter and Garlic not included.

As soon as I type this I will be running to the bookstore for a copy. This book is filled with stuff that I like to eat.

For those of you that have never had the pleasure of being smashed into the miniscule dining room amid the mismatched tables and the Barq's, Dixie, and Abita cases, this book will afford you the opportunity to see just what Yugoslav/Creole is all about. I have not even seen the book, but I feel safe in highly reccomending it.

I love the place. Frankly I loved it even more before all of the tourists made it a lunchtime mecca, but such is the cost of being good. Uggie can't find anybody he trusts to run the place, so this may be your only chance to try some of the simple yet delicious food that has been prepared in the tiny kitchen with all of that beat up cookware. Uglesich's has become another New Orleans institution, but unlike Galitoire's, Antoines, Tujagues, and Commander's Palace, this one is a one man band and the band has probably played it's last tune. Don't miss a chance to meet these wonderful peope if you get the chance.

I am trying to reach the publisher for a tour schedule and as soon as I do I will post it here.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Frankly I loved it even more before all of the tourists made it a lunchtime mecca,

hey, now.

our ladies lunch trek to uglesich's was one of the highlights of our brief trip to your fair city. miz gail took us right under her wing, and made sure we had all the best stuff to try.

absolute heaven.

in fact, i now try to keep a constant supply of "uggie sauce" mellowing in the fridge, so i can make shrimp uggie whenever the whim strikes.

their website uglesich's has a brief list of signings.

i am so there! thanks for the heads-up!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Don't misunderstand. We LOVE tourist. The more the merrier. But as with many things, Uslesich's was more fun when I could take out of towners there and not only had they never heard of it, but when they got down by the dairy and we were riding around looking for a place to park-they didn't even want to get out of the car. :shock::laugh:

I was also a tourist who dragged three companions to Uglesich's. They thought I was nuts, especially when a shingle flew off a roof of one of the many rundown houses in the neighborhood and almost hit us. Dirt was being blown around, yet the outdoor seating was still full. What's a little dirt on your food when it's that good?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Mayhaw, I just ordered mine! They even sign it with a personal message. yoohoo!

I was very happy to see on there web site that they will be reopening October 1st.

My husband and I will be in New Orleans in November celebrating our 10th Anniversary and Uglesich's was wayyyy up on the list.

I was heartbroken when I read in previous threads here that he would be closeing soon......do you know if that's still the case? Hope he lasts through November at least. :sad:

I could be wrong. And I tried to get to the signing on this side of the lake to find out, but had to work :angry: , so I will just report what the TV said the other night (yes, this kind of thing is news in a town like this-we like food like some of you like your sports teams) -They will reopen in late October. But I don't know how true this is. I will making the rounds Wednesday night and will find out for sure.

• 4 weeks later...