• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poste, Hotel Monaco, 8th & E Streets NW

morela

One could do a neat little reviewing style comparison exercise with Todd Kliman's recent piece on the same place -- but only if one were willing to be hit up for $2.95. Mutter. Grumble. Make the reviews free for all time and maybe I'll start contributing to your Restaurant Rater thingummy, City Paper powers that be.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

One could do a neat little reviewing style comparison exercise with Todd Kliman's recent piece on the same place -- but only if one were willing to be hit up for $2.95. Mutter. Grumble. Make the reviews free for all time and maybe I'll start contributing to your Restaurant Rater thingummy, City Paper powers that be.

What the... I was able to get in by going through the restaurant finder section:

http://restaurants.washingtoncitypaper.com...e9eb45a787e2325

Sweet. A loophole.

PS: So who started the whole "fries in a paper twist" thing in DC? I think the first time I had it was at 15ria when it opened. As to "TRUFFLED fries in a paper twist," I think we all know the culprit (benefactor?) on the other side of Dupont Circle.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Interesting how the dish one loved (the ravioli), the other hated.

Not so.

Tom Sietsema: "Vegetarians are welcomed with two big ravioli stuffed with fresh ricotta and nettle (an edible weed) and displayed atop a bright broth of sweet corn. (Much better than the raviolo, oddly dense with lobster, that accompanies an entree of Alaskan black cod.)"

Not so.

Tom Sietsema: "Vegetarians are welcomed with two big ravioli stuffed with fresh ricotta and nettle (an edible weed) and displayed atop a bright broth of sweet corn. (Much better than the raviolo, oddly dense with lobster, that accompanies an entree of Alaskan black cod.)"

Oh, so you agreed? Sorry, my bad...

I'm trying to decide which bugs me more: when a reviewer likes a place I don't, or vice versa. Hmm.

• 4 weeks later...
You know what I'm sick of? Mini-burgers! They just appeared on the menu at a little store I otherwise love (Adega) and it sent me over the edge. THEY'RE DONE. Over. Finished. Finito. Fini. Cooked. Passe. Trite. Hackneyed.

That's because you haven't had the Kobe beef tartare miniburger at Poste. :smile: It's ten dollars for a single miniburger, and you only get the top half of the brioche, but it's hand-chopped and gooood, with tiny little flakes of Malden salt resting atop the bun.

(Contrast: after visiting Poste, I paid a return visit to Matchbox where, for the second straight time, the miniburgers came back overcooked, and even had some sort of grease (from the onion straws perhaps?) sitting on top of half the rolls, but that's for another thread I suppose.)

Cheers,

Rocks.

• 4 months later...

Robert Weland is serving the best food around MCI Center right now, with the exception of Le Paradou (which is too far away (and expensive) to count) and maybe Indebleu (the jury is still out after only one full meal there).

Suggested meal: the mussel appetizer is just about perfect, and the Boeuf Bourguignon is a lesson on the greatness of winter vegetables in the hands of someone who knows how to prepare them (the vegetables are also available as an outstanding $4 side dish - it's possible to eat very inexpensively here with a combination of apps and sides).

Go to Poste and you'll be happy you did,

Rocks.

• 1 month later...

I took my folks and fiancee to dinner at Poste last week for an outstanding meal. I anticipate dropping in here much more often. Go in and try the mussels-- probably the best Asian style mussels I've had. The ravioli were excellent as was the beef Bourguignon with beautifully prepared winter veggies which are available as a side dish.

If you haven't been lately, go! This place deserves a lot more attention. :wub:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

How's the bar? Seem to recall favorable discussion in this forum about it.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

How's the bar?  Seem to recall favorable discussion in this forum about it.

It was quite packed this past Thursday night. It would have been a struggle to get your drink ordered. But, in the past, I've gotten lucky here-- I mean in the sense that I found a spot to sit.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.