• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quickest Afterwork Dishes

Suzi Edwards

We've been dissing ready meals in the UK forum, and the conversation has moved towards easy afterwork cookery. Can we share some ideas here for Hallie to save her from ready meal hell?

Here's a link to our discussion

Ready Meals? No thank you

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

OK, me, I'll go first.

Emergency Salmon

take salmon fillet. Sear in frying pan then cook to how you like. when seconds away from serving, pour over a tbsp of soy and a tbsp of balsamic, swirl about, dust black pepper, go. Meanwhile you will have steamed some sugarsnaps or broccoli.

Emergency Cod

take cod fillet (line caught of course). dust with flour, then fry in quite a lot more olive oil than you would normally use. When seconds away from serving, chuck over 2-3 tsps drained capers (I use the nonpareille little ones in sherry vinegar), couple of tbsps chopped parsley, and the juice of half a lemon (or slightly less). Swirl about in the olive oil to make yummy sauce, dust s (takes quite a lot of s) +p and go. Meanwhile, you will have steamed some tiny potatoes or nuked a bag of spinach.

Also this one for garlic greens + soba noodles

I have to admit, I keep a list of quick supper ideas in my PalmPilot so if I'm stuck for inspiration I can remind myself.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

For the occasional, too-tired-and-hungry-to-cook dinner...

Hmmm. When tired and hungry I think breakfast. Eggs are very quick. Eggs and bacon.

I usually serve a slice of terrine or cold cuts with various pickles when I'm too tired to even pick up a frying pan. It looks like I did it on purpose. :raz:

Salads are easy. If you're too beat to wash the lettuce, just a sliced up tomato with some mozzarella is an idea. Or tomatoes and cucumber with yougurt dressing.

A pick me up when dying of hunger and fatigue is a glass of salted buttermilk. It gives me enough go to get to the tasks at hand.

have thought of another one:

Trixie's Bean Soup

fry an onion in olive oil till soft and floppy, add some mulched garlic, stir about a bit, add a tin of chopped tomatoes + a tsp of Marigold bouillon. Fill the empty tomato tin with water and pour that into the pot. Bubble away for a bit. Meanwhile rinse a tin of canellini beans; finely shred some green cabbage; chop some salami. Add the beans + greens, when greens cooked + beans heated through stir in the salami and lots of black pepper. Serve at once with olive oil for drizzling + maybe some parmesan for grating over.

Can substitute pretty much everything in this soup: use chickpeas; use chorizo or prosciutto or cubed pancetta (in which case obviously add it with the onion); use spinach or kale or finely sliced mushrooms. I often add thyme or a bay leaf or some red chilli flakes at the tin of tomato stage.

this is deceptively filling - it looks like it will only just serve two but if you eat it all between you, within 20 minutes you'll be lying on the sofa with your eyes bulging from the internal pressure. don't say I didn't warn you.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Pasta - Broccoli & Anchovy

For 2 Put on some penne-type pasta (1) to boil, and steam some broccoli (2) florets as the pasta cooks, until broccoli is just cooked. Meanwhile melt a tin of anchovies in a bit of olive oil over a very slow heat. When the broccoli is cooked mix with the anchovy gunk, and add a knob of butter, then when the pasta is cooked (minutes later) mix it all together. Serve with parmesan.

(1) we eat 300 g between us

(2) 500 g or so

Edited by PoppySeedBagel (log)

one day a week you should fine chop onions, celery and carrot and refrigerate, oh, and do garlic too, or just roast a load of garlic and refrigerate

this is my kids favourite

tricolor pasta in one pot of boiling water

extra virgin olive oil - hot

fine chop onion - soft - about 1/2 tbsp

salt and pepper

fine chop garlic - just browning about as much as you'd like

salt

2-3 peeled plum tomatoes whole, put in pan and smash with something,

dried oregano - enough to darken the sauce

maybe a little extra juice and a slice of fresh tomato

black olives

boil for a minute then gently simmer until pasta is cooked

drain pasta

pasta in tomato pan

heat off

add parmesan

slide onto a plate

drizzle more extra virgin olive oil

eat

if you don't prepare this before, you can get it done in about 20 minutes

otherwise it should take about 16 minutes

add some red wine too if you'd like with the tomatoes

you don't need to chop a whole onion remember

what else is there? let's see

is this thirty minute meals or something?

cereal with cold milk has to be the quickest

how about a ploughmans ?

Omelettes and a green salad are my stand-bys for exhaustion. I also keep tortellinis in the freezer and chicken stock on the shelf, for emergency elegant starters.

How about using a crockpot? Put the ingredients together in the morning, they simmer all day, and you walk into a house that smells wonderful! Dinner is waiting for you!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Pasta is my usual quick fix.

I make a quick "shrimp fra diavolo" with frozen shrimp, jarred sauce, and some tabasco sauce.

I usually add frozen spinach, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic (minced in a jar) to frozen tortellini.

Couscous or Asian rice noodles also cook quick in a flash. I throw in diced (or canned/frozen) veggies and leftover meat (if we have any).

Fish and thin-cut pork chops cook up in a flash (<5 minutes) on the stove top. Sometimes a squirt of lemon or a sprinkilng of herbs is all they need.

Bagel (or pita) pizzas--frozen bagels, jarred sauce, cheese, and whatever we have on hand.

Grilled cheese or ham and cheese sandwiches with canned soups are another standby for us.

When we're feeling really lazy, we go for bowls of cereal....

Sausages are always quick and easy. I always keep a stock of various ones frozen in my freezer, and if I need a quick meal, I just open one up, toss it in a skillet with some onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms, whatever, fry it up till the juices all mingle, cut it up into bits, and serve.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

One of my staples is an adaptation of a pasta dish from Mark Bittman.

Boil large pot of water, add spaghetti.

In morter and pestle, make a paste of one clove of garlic with a bit of salt. Add a handful or more of pitted kalamate olives and mash them lightly. Add a splash of olive brine and several tablespoons of olive oil and stir to incorporate.

When the pasta is nearly done to your liking, add a generous amount of spinach (Any type, even frozen. Just use lots.) to the same pot. Continue cooking. Reserve a bit of pasta water. Drain pasta and spinach. Toss with sauce. Serve with copious amounts of grated parmesan.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Well, one of my staples is boiled shrimp. I can stop and buy fresh shrimp on the way home about two blocks from my house, and have them done thirty minutes or so after purchase. Everybody is happy and it is easy to clean up. Roll up all of the newspaper on the table and go find a dumpster.

I also find myself, like Susan G.., making omelettes and hash browns on lazy nights when I am in a hurry.

Then there is our all time quickie favorite-Spaghetti Carbonara. I almost always have what I need and everybody in my house and all of our "entourage" of adolescent and teenage boys love it. I can knck it uut in thirty and all I have to do is clean a griddle (bacon) and a pot. That's it. Eat it on paper plates and get out of my kitchen. My kinda meal.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Pasta with Sage in Brown Butter is a staple in my house! While penne or your favorite noodle is boiling, melt a good amount of butter in a large saute pan ( I use 4 TBS to 1/2 lb. of pasta) . Once the butter stops foaming add whole or roughly large chopped fresh sage leaves, they will "fry" up and give an amazing aroma! Drain the pasta really well, add to the butter and sage, grate some parm or pecorino and toss. Green salad on the side, a perfect meal.

Microwave popcorn for those really desperate nights! :wink:

Pasta!

Really quick: saute in olive oil some garlic, onions and anchovies. Sautee until the anchovies melt. Add some fresh tomatoes, olives, chili peppers, capers...what ever you have around. Meanwhile the water is boiling. Throw in the capellini or angel hair. Before the pasta is fully done, put a few tablespoons of the cooking water in the sauce. Drain pasta and put into the sauce. Cook until the bit of water is absorbed. Eat now!

Sinful, but quick and fabulous chicken.

Dust boned and skinless chicken breasts in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper (I like lots of salt).

Using a heavy frying pan, melt lots of butter, wait until butter is just starting to turn brown then add the chicken. Let the chicken cook all the way and quickly bring the pan to the table. Set it down and douse with some fresh lemon juice. The whole pot goes "whooosh" in steam and sizzle....your dining companions will be impressed....and then eat!

Have a salad to help unclog those arteries.

My favorite "instant" supper when I am so tired I can barely get into the kitchen is very simple.

Quesadillas. Flour tortillas which I always have on hand, shredded or grated cheese that I prepare and keep in a 2 quart Cambro container in the fridge (the half and half colby jack that comes in the big blocks and has just the right flavor), and a can of diced green chiles, the mild ones.

I have a small microwave in my mini kitchen in the great/family room close to my recliner.

The tortilla goes onto a rigid paper plate - better than china which attracts water condensation -

using a slotted spoon I put about a tablespoon of the green chiles on a tortilla, spread them around a bit. Add shredded cheese and place in the microwave, set timer for 50 seconds ( longer in a lower powered unit) until cheese is melted.

Fold in half and eat when cool enough.

If I happen to have leftovers of cooked steak or pork I shred or chop it fine and add some on top of the cheese along with a little salsa but this is not necessary, the plain cheese and green chile quesadilla is enough for me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Risotto. Other than the stirring -- which is very soothing and relaxing -- not terribly labor intensive and well worth the effort. Click here for Craig's course.

Indian food in general. Most wet or dry vegetable curries can be prepared in under thirty minutes, prep time included. In particular, I am a HYOOOOGE fan of cumin potatoes smothered in yogurt. This is basically potatoes that have been cooked with spices fried in ghee and then covered with flavored spiced yogurt. Serve with chappatis or rice. Other vegs can be substituted in place of the potatoes...such as okra. (hear that Brooks? :raz: )

Soba

one of the things we do when pressed for time is

pound out chicken breast; season with s & p and any other herbs you like(i use tarragon or dill or right now oregano and basil i've dried)

saute in a bit of extra-virgin olive oil

plop in a pan

put about a cup of tomato sauce(this is the tricky part - i have to remember to take it out of the freezer the night before) over the sauteed breasts

pop into 350 oven for about 15 minutes

in the meantime cook trader joe's rice pasta

plate chicken on pasta sprinkle with freshly grated asiago or locatelli

salad on the side

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For the occasional, too-tired-and-hungry-to-cook dinner...

Hmmm.  When tired and hungry I think breakfast.  Eggs are very quick.  Eggs and bacon. 

Me too. AND pasta: quasispaghetti carbonara. or linguine, or whatever long noodles I touch first.

Put on big pot of water to boil.

Dice a few slices of bacon, throw in skillet, wok, whatever.

Dice a shallot or two, slice a clove of garlic, add to pan once bacon has crisped.

Beat together eggs, grated parmesan, a bloop of ricotta, S&P, red pepper flakes.

Wash a few leaves for salad.

When water boils, add salt, add pasta.

While pasta cooks, finish leaves etc. for salad. Open wine.

Drain pasta lightly, dump in pan with bacon etc. Toss.

Pour on egg/cheese, toss, turn heat to lowest.

Dress salad.

Toss pasta one last time, serve. Serve salad. Pour wine.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Fried rice

An omelet and a glass of wine (thank you Elizabeth David)

A reuben sandwich--I normally have all those ingredients around

Chicken parmigiana--I don't bother with breading the chicken breast, and even if I don't have a thawed breast around I can thaw one in just a couple of minutes using the microwave

Turkey or beef burgers

A big salad with whatever cooked meat or cheese is laying about, with a glass of iced coffee--my Bubbe's favorite dinner.

* Saute shrimp in butter with a few jarred sliced roasted red peppers, pour over pasta.

* As mentioned earlier, any hunk o' fish, smeared with EVOO and lightly sea salted under the broiler for about 8 minutes is tasty. Sometimes I mix apple jelly and prepared horseradish as a glaze. Or I'll mix together a can of black beans and some jarred fruity salsa (pineapple is good) and spread that over the top of the fish before serving.

*Crock Pot... our absolute favorite is to put a pork tenderloin in there with some soy, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Very tasty.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Even the Russian dressing?  I'm very impressed :laugh:.

THW

Well, it's easily made, isn't it? Some mayo, some relish or a couple of diced cornichons and capers, a squirt of chili sauce or ketchup. Works for me. I stir it up in a little ramekin.

I also eat a lot of Reuben dogs--kraut, Swiss, and the dressing on a Kosher hot dog instead of corned beef.

I'm surprised no one has hit on my fave when I'm too tired to cook or do dishes... call up a friend and invite yourself over! :hmmm:

Then again, I'm single without kids...

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Quick homemade pesto: couple of cloves of garlic, some salt and 3 tbs pignoli nuts in the processer till chopped fine, add 3 cups basil leaves, process til chopped medium fine, add 1/2 cup olive oil while the machine is running and finally add 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Regianno. Takes 15 minutes tops, and the pasta is ready when you're done chopping. You could start with a nice heirloom tomato, basil and bufala mozzarella salad.