• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Pudding (Kheer)

foodietraveler

I love Indian Chinese food...

Is there a new trend in Indian Chinese restaurants to serve rice pudding???

In my time they never had Indian style puddings. But things change.

Are there members commenting here that live in India? Please tell what kind of kheers are being served at your local Chinese restaurant. Curious here.

I love Indian Chinese food...

Is there a new trend in Indian Chinese restaurants to serve rice pudding???

In my time they never had Indian style puddings. But things change.

Are there members commenting here that live in India? Please tell what kind of kheers are being served at your local Chinese restaurant. Curious here.

Irish, Italian and Mexican cuisines all have their own versions of rice pudding. But Chinese rice pudding? My understanding of Chinese cuisine is limited, however, as far as I know one distinct feature of authentic Chinese cuisine is that it doesn't use any dairy products.

Probably in Indian-Chinese restaurants they serve rice pudding. Then again, most ethnic restaurants operating in countries other than their own tend to incorporate local favorites in their menu. And rice pudding is a salient feature of Indian restarant menus.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

Irish, Italian and Mexican cuisines all have their own versions of rice pudding. But  Chinese rice pudding? My understanding of Chinese cuisine is limited, however, as far as I know one distinct feature of authentic Chinese cuisine is that it doesn't use any dairy products.

Probably in Indian-Chinese restaurants they serve rice pudding. Then again, most ethnic restaurants operating in countries other than their own tend to incorporate local favorites in their menu. And rice pudding is a salient feature of Indian restarant menus. 

Ammini

Ammini, I have not eaten at Indian Chinese restaurants recently. BUt when I have, they hever never had rice pudding or any such pudding. Closest was gello puddings and fresh fruit and ice creams... But as you said, things will change.

I asked if those living in India can tell us what kind of Indian Chinese restaurants are serving kheer. It is of great interest to me.... because Indian Chinese is very fun and very unique. And that it continues to change is of no surprise to me.

And of all rice puddings I have tried, kheer, made Indian style, is my very favorite of all.

I called upon my Chinese friend / Chef to ask him about the rice pudding ala Chinese style, his quote " As far as I am aware of we Chinese do not make rice pudding"

here is a link to the Gourmet Magazine where my rice pudding was published this year in the... You asked for it coloumn.

My Rice Pudding

I called upon my Chinese friend / Chef to ask him about the rice pudding ala Chinese style, his quote " As far as I am aware of we Chinese do not make rice pudding"

here is a link to the Gourmet Magazine where my rice pudding was published this year in the... You asked for it coloumn.

My Rice Pudding

Thank you prasad. I saw it as dessert in a menu at Chinese restaurant or a cookbook. Both gf and I were surprised. She because she never thinks of Chinese food and rice pudding, me less surprised, but still curious because Indian Chinese restaurants that I knew never had rice pudding.

I was wondering if I have missed a trend.

I know puddings, cakes, trifles, custards, parfaits, mousses and pastries have long been part of India. But this was still different to me. I did not grow up in India of these desserts. Our family was not too wealthy, had not traveled much, so we knew people ate western style desserts regularly, but ours were the tasty Indian counterparts like gulab jamun, kheer, rabri etc. I make up for it now. I enjoy all kind of dessert these day.

I can't comment on Indian Chinese restaurants, so perhaps this is off topic. But I was in Cambodia a few months ago. Cambodian culture is a fabulous very historical mixture of Indian and China, as it was part of ancient trade routes between the two places I beleive. So in the shadow of Angkor, which was built in the 13th Century (I think) as a Hindu temple, with amazing sculpture of the churning of the ocean of milk and other stories from Bhagwatam, and is now a bhuddist temple, I was eating a big bowl of sticky rice and bananas with coconut milk. I was struck by a lightening bolt of inspiration...Very kheer like. In fact, when i got home I cooked up sticky rice and dumped over it a can of evaporated milk, some cardamom, and it was a lot kheer like. The sticky rice soaks up liquid after its cooked. Utterly wrong and inauthentic I know, but it tasted damn good!

My chiense/indian/cambodian fusion confusion contribution.

Edited by Yajna Patni (log)

There is -a- Chinese rice pudding (maybe more than one but this is the one I know), kinda doubt there's any relation to kheer though. It's called Eight Treasure Rice Pudding, and not only is there no dairy, but the old school version contains lard as well. It's glutinous rice, candied fruits, nuts, lard, sugar and sweet red bean paste underneath.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

.....  Please tell what kind of kheers are being served at your local Chinese restaurant. Curious here.

The indian Chinese served in most cities in India is run by non-chinese. Hence once can not really distinguish. The old-fashion Chinese restaurants in tangra,Kolkatta did not serve kheer (this was ofcourse in mid-70s)

On the other hand, In HKG(Hong Kong), many restarants liberaly use condenced-milk in many dishes specialy during YumCha /Dim Sum

anil

I can't comment on Indian Chinese restaurants, so perhaps this is off topic. But I was in Cambodia a few months ago. Cambodian culture is a fabulous very historical mixture of Indian and China, as it was part of ancient trade routes between the two places I beleive. So in the shadow of Angkor, which was built in the 13th Century (I think) as a Hindu temple, with amazing sculpture of the churning of the ocean of milk and other stories from Bhagwatam, and is now a bhuddist temple,  I was eating a big bowl of sticky rice and bananas with coconut milk. I was struck by a lightening bolt of inspiration...Very kheer like. In fact, when i got home I cooked up sticky rice and dumped over it a can of evaporated milk, some cardamom, and it was a lot kheer like. The sticky rice soaks up liquid after its cooked. Utterly wrong and inauthentic I know, but it tasted damn good! 

My chiense/indian/cambodian fusion confusion contribution.

That sounds damn good, and easy, too--I think I'll try it soon. :cool: