• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron Salt

foodietraveler

Wherever did you hear of such a thing?

Such a thing? You are funny.

I saw it on the cover of Monica Bhide's cookbook, The Everything Indian Cookbook.

The other spices on the spice rack are curry powder, turmeric, chili powder, and ginger powder.

I thought this was another rich people ingredient my family did not know of. That is why I ask. Mom knew nothing about it. Some local chef friends do not know it either. But I know there are many ingredients I learn about from Suvir and Monica here and from all that comment on this site.

monica bhide,

the cover to your book The Everything Indian Cookbook has a image of wooden spice rack. It has 6 bottles in it. Curry Powder, Turmeric, Chile Powder, Cardamom (powder I can tell by looking at it), Ginger (also powder as I can see from bottle), Saffron salt (looks like powder in photo).

And as I check the back cover, you have same spice rack on back cover too.

I am very curious about it. Would love to know where I can buy it. Seems new item. Thank you.

PS: I add this comment to help Monica know I ask her a question in this discussion about saffron salt. Thank you.

You are correct Dave. I had no input into the cover. I talked with the publisher earlier today and let them know.. they indicated the tiny rack is for illustration only, really i could not even read it. The book is going into another reprint and they will take care of it then

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I'd be surprised if Monica has much, if anything, to do with the cover of her book. These things are usually handled by the publisher.

Aah! I an relate to that. As designer, not all my clients take as much interest and nor do we give much leeway to others. Some meddle too much when we give them say, others cannot find time to relate to our jobs, so we do not gain much. Better not have say, so we keep to our self. Thanks for bringing this up.

From Monica Bhide being silent, I assume this is surprise to her. Monica, look at it this way, your books cover may have a spice no one knows, but at least we all speak of it and have some nice discussion trying to figure it out. One miss out of 6 spices is not bad for publisher. If they had asked you, they would get all 6 corect one time, but that does not take from your good efforts.

I had question about cover, one more, but now I will forget I had it. Thank you.

You are correct Dave. I had no input into the cover. I talked with the publisher earlier today and let them know.. they indicated the tiny rack is for illustration only, really i could not even read it. The book is going into another reprint and they will take care of it then

I thank my gf and my trade then. And I hope you are happy I was able to help you correct mistake on cover of your own book. Your publisher must be unhappy, but will be good for your book I think. My eyes are not best, I wear glasses, but i do try observe things minute enough so I can work and enjoy my life. I am sorry if I make your day busy than it can be sharing in discussions here. All is well that end well. I will enjoy your book with this cover, and I have it with some other books I have, most vintage and antique book, that have illustrations like yours. They are charming, even if wrong and out of place. And I am sad that there is no saffron salt. I felt maybe they make it in America.

Thank you Monica. And wish you success with this book. Maybe next time, your publisher will be better for the book and give you input on this part of your book. Since your name is what make them successful in first place. Author should be important and for too much more than just writing. But that is my simple thinking. You have proven success. I idly enjoy writing by those that come to this indian site.

i'm very confused by all this saffron salt business--it seems to me there's far more egregious errors INSIDE many other cookbooks (and on these forums). do any of the recipes in the book actually call for saffron salt? but whatever...

congratulations monica! here's to a third and fourth edition!