• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

Chris Amirault

This is a great thread! I was surprised to find that some don't love this fine elixir. The Bronco prefers his Branca in large sips from a cordial glass following a good meal. However, this cocktail, the Industry Sour, from the fine bartenders at Taste in St. Louis is also great:

1 oz Fernet-Branca

1 oz green chartreuse

1 oz lime juice

1 oz simple syrup

This is the recipe they use. It's quite complex, interesting, and at moments challenging. As it is, it's a touch sweet for me. But cutting the sugar in half throws things too out of whack. Meddlers beware.

• 1 month later...

I had to try this one because of its name and because it contained Fernet.

The Trainspotter (Thomas Newcomb via Gaz Regan) with Dickel rye (Willet 2-year rye), St Germain, cherry heering (Luxardo cherry liqueur), Fernet-Branca.

It's a clever way to sneak in Fernet into a cocktail, although it seems like such a crazy idea to combine Fernet with St Germain. Someone thought it tasted like cherry-flavored cough syrup, but I respectfully disagree. It does not really taste like Fernet either; everything meshes together really well, with the rye front and center. It's described as a twist on the Brooklyn cocktail and it has a similar vibe, a bit rich and aromatic.

16604934406_f60e401667_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 6 months later...

(From the cucumber thread)

Also wild and delicious, with cucumber and fernet: Perla's Cantina Band. Now that you're out of tequila :raz:  I recommend you give it a try. 

I tried it. Much more a Fernet drink that a cucumber drink, so I am responding here.

Cantina Band (Perla) with Fernet-Branca, gin (Perry's Tot Navy strength), lime juice, ginger beer (Bundaberg). I reduced the amount of simple syrup quite a bit since Fernet is already plenty sweet.

Ok, so this is essentially Fernet with a little bit of this and that added. Fernet as a long drink. It's fine but the gin (even Navy strength), cucumber and even the ginger beer don't stand a chance. It works as long as that is what you expect. Otherwise the first few sips are a bit brutal.

20713417974_a4c741dfa9_z.jpg

What's that enticing looking snack stacked up in the background? I can tell if it's sweet or meat.

Basler Läckerli, little spice cookies from Basel in Switzerland. Very tasty and not overly sweet. This was a good pairing!

I realise you're not hungover, and I note you reference "Nose to Tail Eating" in your sig line, but have you tried Fergus Henderson's Dr Henderson from the book? It mixes Fernet and creme de menthe over ice and while, yes, it's recommended as a hangover cure, it's also pretty good. I particularly enjoyed Fergus's post-script: "Do not let the cure become the cause."

Speaking about tasty treats, the Clove Club in London makes bonbons/hard candy inspired by Fergus Henderson. It's a very nice way to end a meal! (One of them is partly visible under the card in the picture.)

15004193752_a65a881bef_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

I was happy with this one. Gerard Cocktail (Justin Taylor via Gaz Regan) with Laphroaig 10 scotch whisky, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Fernet-Branca, Bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters. The combination of the peat and savory notes from the scotch, the bitterness and herbs of the Fernet, the rich lushness of the maraschino, and the touch of fruit from the bitters. Very nice sipper.

21340108498_aaf744c6d4_z.jpg

I first read "lushness" as "lustiness".  Even so, nice prose.  Nice picture too!  Someday I might even try Fernet-Branca, maybe.  Is that a real maraschino cherry in the glass?

Now I know where the term lush comes from.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I first read "lushness" as "lustiness".  Even so, nice prose.  Nice picture too!  Someday I might even try Fernet-Branca, maybe.  Is that a real maraschino cherry in the glass?

Now I know where the term lush comes from.

Thanks Jo!

The cherry is a brandied griotte cherry from France, Perigord to be exact. They are called Guinette and I highly recommend them.

Really like this one. Sometimes simple is best, and this combo is a great thing on a hot summer/autumn night. First it's all about the Fernet, then the bourbon starts to peek out, and they end up blending beautifully. It's very refreshing too. The Fernet is there as an intense herbal bouquet accented by the mint garnish.

Midnight Stinger (Sam Ross) with Elijah Craig 12 bourbon, Fernet-Branca, lemon juice, simple.

21478461418_10a4b2d275_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This one seemed a bit odd on paper but I was in the mood for a Fernet-forward cocktail, and I decided to trust the drink's creator...

Magic Julep (Giuseppe González) with mint and equal parts Fernet-Branca, Angostura bitters, simple syrup. It's a little sweet, but complex too thanks to the copious dose of Angostura bitters. I liked it very much actually. I wonder what it would taste like with a different brand of Fernet...

Magic Julep (Giuseppe González) with mint and equal parts Fernet-Branca, Angostura bitters, simple syrup #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #julep #fernet #fernetbranca #mint

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, EvergreenDan said:

@FrogPrincesse Midnight Stinger is nice, even though I'm not a huge mint (and therefore Fernet) fan. I'd make that again for sure. Thx.

Glad you liked it. I'd join you but my mint is in poor condition unfortunately... :(