• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

Chris Amirault

Don't Give Up the Ship

I was introduced to this drink by Sam Ross when he paid a visit to Noble Experiment earlier this year, and was happy to see it in the Bartender's Choice cocktail app. It's a harmonious mix of gin, sweet vermouth, fernet branca and curaçao. For some reason I decided to finish my bottle of Cointreau but did not have enough so I ended up using half Cointreau half Clement creole shrubb. Next time I will use the Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao. In any case, I liked the interplay between the fernet and the curaçao a lot.

8111115497_1603a39ce2_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Regarding Don't Give Up the Ship, I noticed that the recipes floating online seemed to differ quite a bit from the Bartender's Choice app version that I used. Most of the online versions call for Dubonnet and reduced amounts of curaçao and Fernet. For reference, the version I used had 1.5 oz gin and 0.5 oz each of sweet vermouth (I used Vya), curaçao and Fernet Branca.

I was curious about this and last night, while looking up this cocktail online, I found a detailed discussion of this drink on a local San Diego blog so I thought I would reference it here. It goes over various versions of this drink. In the end, when using sweet vermouth the ratios from the Bartender's Choice app seemed to work the best. Dubonnet worked better with Grand Marnier than with Cointreau, with the amounts of Fernet and Grand Marnier reduced to 0.25 oz.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

A year later almost to the day and here I am on this thread again. For some reason, the slightly cooler temperatures put me in Fernet mood. Going through Fernet cocktails in the Kindred Cocktails database I found this crazy thing called a Summer Hemingway. It does have some of the components of a Hemingway Daiquiri with the grapefruit juice, lime juice, and maraschino liqueur. But then the base liquor is Plymouth gin instead of white rum, and there is a generous and somewhat intimidating 1/2 oz Fernet float on top. There were no reviews on Kindred but since the recipe was originally published in StarChefs.com I thought that it could not be completely horrible.

Summer Hemingway
by Jeremy Strawn, Mulberry Project, NYC.
1 1/2 oz Gin, Plymouth
1 1/2 oz Grapefruit juice
3/4 oz Lime juice
3/4 oz Simple syrup
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur, Luxardo
1/2 oz Fernet Branca (as float)

Shake all but fernet, strain into a double old fashioned, float fernet.

--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

10320916095_dd6831d338_z.jpg

Surprisingly it does retain the main flavor characteristics of a Hemingway Daiquiri. It is crisp and refreshing with a layer of complexity. The mint/eucalyptus notes of the Fernet give it a great finish. And as an added bonus they seem to do wonders for my seasonal allergies thanks to a noticeable decongesting effect. (Yes it is scientifically proven to work better than Claritin).

I think that this easily goes into my list of favorite Fernet cocktails, together with the Hanky Panky and Don't Give up the Ship. Thanks Rafa for entering it into the Kindred Cocktails database where I was able to find it.

Thanks for being brave enough to review it. I've bumped it up in my to-try list.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Thanks for being brave enough to review it. I've bumped it up in my to-try list.

Wait. What? You're contributing cocktails that you haven't tried. We're watching you, bud. ;)

And apparently some of us trust him enough to try anything he enters into the database! (Ok, maybe not this one.)

Wait. What? You're contributing cocktails that you haven't tried. We're watching you, bud. ;)

Wait, do you not? I have dozens of drinks in my cocktail book (not all of them uploaded by me, but still) that I haven't gotten around to making, due to not having all the ingredients at the time or whatever, but that I think look really good. I basically use KC as my master list of all cocktails I could or would want to make, by trusted or respected drinks mixers. Have I been using the site wrong? Besides all the obvious ways, I mean.

And apparently some of us trust him enough to try anything he enters into the database! (Ok, maybe not this one.)

No true cocktailian would neglect to try that masterpiece.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

No true cocktailian would neglect to try that masterpiece.

Noted. Next time I see King Cocktail, I will make sure to ask him to make me one.

I'm holding out for the more definitive, precise Williamsburg version. What is up with all this generic "Brooklyn" shit? haven't any of you heard of terroir?

As you can tell, we are all pretty clueless on this board without your input.

I went for bold & direct last night with David A. Embury's Toronto.

2 oz Bulleit rye, 3/4 oz Fernet-Branca, 1/4 simple syrup. This is much heavier on the Fernet than what Chris posted upthread. Lemon peel because that's all I had, but would have preferred orange.

10432378514_25b5a2094c_z.jpg

On the first few sips, the Fernet is not as forward as I had imagined, but rather meshes well with the rye and augments its flavor instead of fighting with it. It's surprisingly tame, at least initially. As someone else wrote earlier, it is rather intriguing; as the flavor evolves you want to take another sip to find out where it is leading you. The Fernet does not become completely obvious until the end when it finally takes over. Nice cocktail.

One of my favourites, though I tend to make it with Canadian whisky (especially Alberta Premium Dark Horse) instead of US rye. I mean, it is named after Canada's largest city, right?

That sounds good. Unfortunately most of the Canadian whisky we get around here does not have much personality.

• 3 months later...

Last night I had Misty Kalkofen's Hocus Pocus, inspired by Plantes Vertes in the Drinks thread. I used the ratios from this article so it's heavier on the Fernet.

12229924165_b17ef7e42a_z.jpg

With Junipero it was pretty intense. I would make it again with a different gin, probably Beefeater.

Last night I had Misty Kalkofen's Hocus Pocus, inspired by Plantes Vertes in the Drinks thread. I used the ratios from this article so it's heavier on the Fernet.

12229924165_b17ef7e42a_z.jpg

With Junipero it was pretty intense. I would make it again with a different gin, probably Beefeater.

How is it for sweetness? It seems like there's an awful lot of sugar in that glass, though a lot of other intense flavours, too.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

How is it for sweetness? It seems like there's an awful lot of sugar in that glass, though a lot of other intense flavours, too.

You know, I was a bit worried about that too. So that's why I went with the Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao instead of Cointreau. Overall the drink did not taste too sweet. I think if you like a Martinez or a Hanky Panky, you will like this too.

I'm holding out for the more definitive, precise Williamsburg version. What is up with all this generic "Brooklyn" shit? haven't any of you heard of terroir?

As you can tell, we are all pretty clueless on this board without your input.

2 oz Bulleit rye, 3/4 oz Fernet-Branca, 1/4 simple syrup. This is much heavier on the Fernet than what Chris posted upthread. Lemon peel because that's all I had, but would have preferred orange.

On the first few sips, the Fernet is not as forward as I had imagined, but rather meshes well with the rye and augments its flavor instead of fighting with it. It's surprisingly tame, at least initially. As someone else wrote earlier, it is rather intriguing; as the flavor evolves you want to take another sip to find out where it is leading you. The Fernet does not become completely obvious until the end when it finally takes over. Nice cocktail.

I made a batch of these (first time) for Super Bowl and, wow, strong buggers. All of us who tried it liked it, but opted for diluting it with seltzer or tonic. Buncha wimps, I guess.

• Like 1

I made a batch of these (first time) for Super Bowl and, wow, strong buggers. All of us who tried it liked it, but opted for diluting it with seltzer or tonic. Buncha wimps, I guess.

"Bold and direct" = strong, as you have found out. The kind of drink that you sip for a long while.

Not terribly imaginative but a Dark and Stormy with added Fernet or Fernet in ginger beer have become staples in my house. Fernet-Stormy?

"Dark and Minty"?

• 1 month later...

I can't find the reference now, but someone suggested 50/50 Campari and Fernet. I tried it and found it a touch sweet and -- dare I admit it -- intense for me. Adding another equal part of dry vermouth turned it into a sort of dry minty Negroni. I liked it. Fernet has the ABV to pull this off.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community