• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

Chris Amirault

Okay, this may sound weird -- and it's certainly a very unattractive drink -- but:

One recent evening, after a dinner where I ate a little too much to be entirely comfortable, I came home and couldn't quite decide between a scotch on the rocks (which is what I really wanted) and a Fernet and soda (for the fullness). Something prompted me to mix the two, and godawful as it looked, it was very good. I'd say about 4 parts scotch to one part Fernet, and the merest whisper of soda.

Hey! A reply!

Okay, this may sound weird -- and it's certainly a very unattractive drink -- but:

One recent evening, after a dinner where I ate a little too much to be entirely comfortable, I came home and couldn't quite decide between a scotch on the rocks (which is what I really wanted) and a Fernet and soda (for the fullness). Something prompted me to mix the two, and godawful as it looked, it was very good. I'd say about 4 parts scotch to one part Fernet, and the merest whisper of soda.

This sounds a bit like a rusty nail -- the metal thing as well as the drink -- but I'll give it a go.... :huh:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I keep meaning to spend some good quality time with both of the Fernet products and see what I can come up with.

It is important to remember that these are technically "bitters"... and as we all know, one way of using bitters in a cocktail is just with the mearest dash.

Of course, while nobody is going to suggest that you quaff down a glass of Angostura, the Fernet (and other) products are intended to be taken straight, and often are. So it would most likely be appropriate to use more then a "dash" in a properly constructed cocktail, perhaps even more then a "splash".

A while back, I took on the challenge of trying to use Jagermeister to create a "good" cocktail, and not just one that some boozing college student would claim was "da bomb"... It took a while, but what I finally came up with is something I am fairly proud of:

Mahogany

- 1 1/2 ounce dry vermouth

- 3/4 ounce Jagermeister

- 3/4 ounce Benedictine

Stir with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Extra Credit: Before adding the drink to the glass, use an atomizer to spray the glass with a mild cinnamon tincture.

To make your cinnamon tincture, soak 4+ sticks of cinnamon in 1 cup of vodka for about 2 weeks.

While the Jagermeister is playing a fairly "active" role in in this drink, the cinnamon tincture is taking on the traditional "bitters" role. You "can" leave it out, but if you then try it "with" the tincture you will clearly notice an extra depth is achieved, without really being able to put your finger on where it is coming from (ok, sure, you could probably add a dash of tincture to the cocktail, but "misting" the glass from an atomizer just seems so cool :-)

-Robert

I love Fernet Branca. One good drink is simply to make a Fernet Branca and coke. It's a great drink.

Branca Menta has more mixing possibilities, though, because of the mint flavor. Just use it in any drink where you might use creme de menthe. For example, I like Dr. Cocktail's Delmarva Cocktail (original recipe here. And changed it as follows:

2.0 oz : straight rye whiskey

0.5 oz : dry vermouth

0.5 oz : Branca Menta

0.5 oz : fresh lemon juice

simple syrup to taste

1 fresh mint leaf, for garnish

The simple syrup is added for balance because Branca Menta isn't as sweet as white crème de menthe

--

• 4 months later...

I realise you're not hungover, and I note you reference "Nose to Tail Eating" in your sig line, but have you tried Fergus Henderson's Dr Henderson from the book? It mixes Fernet and creme de menthe over ice and while, yes, it's recommended as a hangover cure, it's also pretty good. I particularly enjoyed Fergus's post-script: "Do not let the cure become the cause."

• Like 1

I realise you're not hungover, and I note you reference "Nose to Tail Eating" in your sig line, but have you tried Fergus Henderson's Dr Henderson from the book? It mixes Fernet and creme de menthe over ice and while, yes, it's recommended as a hangover cure, it's also pretty good. I particularly enjoyed Fergus's post-script: "Do not let the cure become the cause."

Nope -- I have never purchased creme de menthe, so I don't have it around, and the idea, frankly, is vomit-inducing! But perhaps in the spirit of culinary adventure I should try it out. Don't hold yer breath -- but if I do, I'll let you know!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

gotta agree w robert,

best way of using fernet branca is as bitters,

it'll liven up a vodka lime and soda, or even a gin martini no end,

played a game in the last bar called 'fun w fernet branca' where we all took turns to make a drink w it, problem being that after everyone else tasted it, you had to finish it, not alot credible or worthwile came out of that except use it in moderation!

would probably work well in place of amer picon / torani amer, esp in a picon punch.

branca menta can't help but enjoy by itself!

also good in a sazerac instead of the absinthe.

bon chance.

s

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

Calling all potable Fernet Branca recipes. A quick google produced little, and save for FB and ginger ale -- or the variations of hangover cures[...]

What do you think of the recipes posted at http://www.webtender.com/?

Wow... I hadn't seen that before. I think I'm trying the Piedra Putamadre tonight (just before the Pats crush the Eaglets). That would be "Stone of the Mother-Whore", right? :huh:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

What do you think of the recipes posted at http://www.webtender.com/?

As far as I know, the recipes at Webtender are not monitored by anyone, so I imagine the quality varies dramatically, depending on the particular person posting the recipe.

I'm much more likely to check out CocktailDB, brought to you by Dr. Cocktail.

I had been meaning to try Fernet Branca for ages. This thread inspired me to buy a bottle on the way home. I love Bitters, Campari, & Amer - so I was excited to give it a go.

I was surprised by the mint essence - very nice bouquet

For my first taste I decided to go for just the Fernet with San Pellegrino and ice.

In a rocks glass

3 standard size ice cubes

1.5 oz Fernet

Fill with San Pellegrino

Results = YUM I love this stuff.

Then with this thread in mind I made this

In a rocks glass

1.25 oz Old Overholt Rye

1 oz Fernet

Juice from 1/4 Lime

Dash of Angostura bitters

Results = whoa - this was good.

I ended up trying a few more variations adding Apple Jack, Amaretto, & Pomegranate Syrup that were all really good.

I love this stuff, and look forward to creating a few more beverages with it tonight and hopefully reading more recipes here.

Cheers,

Scott

• 9 months later...

For you Fernet-o-philes, this article in today's SF Weekly contains many amusing anecdotes and quotes.

The Myth of Fernet

As Fogarty does a quick shot with some friends, it starts to rain outside and a cool, clean breeze enters the bar though the open doors and under the shelf of empty green bottles, bringing to mind the parting words of Branca's spokesman, Ricardo Destesano. "I say to San Francisco: I give you my baby! Enjoy! Take the good care!"

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I love Fernet Branca.  One good drink is simply to make a Fernet Branca and coke.  It's a great drink.

About how much Fernet Branca do you like in this drink? Just a dash or a bit more than that?

Thanks!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

In a rocks glass

1.25 oz Old Overholt Rye

1 oz Fernet

Juice from 1/4 Lime

Dash of Angostura bitters

Results = whoa - this was good.

I gave this a try with an (accidental) overpour of rye. The menthol flavor of the Fernet dominates, resulting in a "challenging" drink. Maybe too challenging. Maybe cut the fernet in half? And I used 1/2 oz. of lime juice, which was more or less 1/4 of my slightly dried out lime (dry winter air).

also good in a sazerac instead of the absinthe.

This does sound good.

I did one with Gin, fresh Pomegranate juice, and a rinse of fernet, which was subtle and quite nice.

I can't imagine adding more than 1/2 oz to a short cocktail. You're just extending the fernet and blowing away all your other flavors.

What's the actual difference between Fernet Branca and Branca Menta? I haven't done a side by side, but, Menta just seems a bit sweeter to me. Not really mintier or anything.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just realized I probably should have posted this over here the "Dont Give Up the Ship" cocktail http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1080640 its pretty tasty. The Dr.Henderson is pretty good also but as Fergus says "Do not be put off by the color." Anyone else just sip a little in a pony glass after a long meal?

• 11 months later...

Just made a fine Toronto Cocktail thanks to CocktailDB:

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

dash simple syrup

dash bitters

CocktailDB lists Angostura, but I used Peychaud's to good effect. In fact, I'm wondering if replacing the simple syrup with Cointreau and using orange bitters would work, given the happy brightness of the orange sitting atop the drink.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 3 months later...

I've been tweaking away and think that I've come up with a pretty damned good variation on the Toronto Cocktail which -- my first foray into cocktail nomenclature -- I'm calling the Corktown Cocktail:

2 oz rye

1/4 oz Fernet Branca

1/4 oz Cointreau (go light)

1/4 oz demerara 1:1 syrup (go light)

dash Angostura

dash orange bitters

Stir, pour, and serve with a fat orange twist that you've squeezed over the glass.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Chris, why do you call it the "Corktown" cocktail? Funny, I just read about the Toronto over on Jamie Boudreaux's blog. I'll have to give your variation a try as well.

I posted this in the Drinks topic a million years ago; but, it probably deserves it's own mention in the Fernet topic.

Gary Regan wrote a column which featured Murray Stenson's Porteño:

Drink a Porteño and soon you'll be humming about Argentina

Ingredients:

3/4 oz Bourbon

1/2 oz Fernet Branca

1/2 oz Cherry Brandy

1/2 oz Fresh Lime

1/2 oz Falernum (or simple syrup)

At the time, it just seemed wrong that it had more liqueur than bourbon, so I made it (for 2) as follows.

3 oz W.L. Weller 12 year bourbon, 1 tsp. Fernet Branca, 1 oz Creme de Griotte, juice of one lime, 3/4 oz Velvet Falernum.

Still think my variation is a pretty tasty cocktail!

Some time I hope to visit Seattle and ask Murray if the Chronicle recipe was a misprint.

• Like 1

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA