• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shalmanese

Shalmanese

On 3/20/2016 at 3:07 PM, Chris Hennes said:

I just made the harissa recipe over on Saveur, and while the taste is great, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of spiciness. As a general rule, how spicy is this stuff supposed to be?

The answer is as spicy as you want it to be! Harissa is a catch all label applied to a wide family of spices that serve very difference purposes. To me though, it's meant to be more of a warming spice than a blow your head off one. To me, the perfect harissa dishes aren't too spicy when you first bite in but warms up gradually over time into a pleasant glow but never enough to stop you from continuing eating.

As with all dishes involving chillis, feel free to modify the quantity and types of chillis to reach the level of spice you prefer.

Shalmanese

Shalmanese

On 3/20/2016 at 3:07 PM, Chris Hennes said:

I just made the harissa recipe over on Saveur, and while the taste is great, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of spiciness. As a general rule, how spicy is this stuff supposed to be?

The answer is as spicy as you want it to be! Harissa is also a catch all label applied to a wide family of spices that serve very difference purposes. To me though, it's meant to be more of a warming spice than a blow your head off one. To me, the perfect harissa dishes aren't too spicy when you first bite in but warms up gradually over time into a pleasant glow but never enough to stop you from continuing eating.

As with all dishes involving chillis, feel free to modify the quantity and types of chillis to reach the level of spice you prefer.