• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Fresh and In Season Right Now?

This week I made a chanterelle quiche from Julia Child's book and we ate it with a leek, potato and corn potage, also from her book. Very tasty and we toasted her with our glass of Pinot Gris. I'm obsessed with these soups where you don't add a meat stock, but just let the vegetables shine. Fresh leeks and peeled potatoes in equal proportions by weight, simmered in some water and salt, then you add what you like, in this case corn. It's greater then the sum of its parts. Sometimes I blender it and other times I just mash up the potatoes with the spoon and leave it "rustic".

Dave, I wish I could see the photos of your find, they sound so good. I love matsutakes in a nice clear and light Japonese soup.

regards,

trillium

Dave, I wish I could see the photos of your find, they sound so good.  I love matsutakes in a nice clear and light Japonese soup.

Had matsus last night on the grill and then with a dipping sauce of mirin, soya, fresh ginger, green onions. To me they are one of the strongest of the mushrooms and carry a tremendious amount of unique flavor.

Tonight it's noletes on pasta with some tri-tip.

dave

A couple days ago my sweet husband bought some king boletes for me from a guy who said he finds them in eastern Washington. They are really, really good, as good as the porcini from the old country.

I've been having handmade papardelle with a simple chicken stock and porcini sauce and it has improved my attitude about everything tremendously. If the guy comes back with more, we'll serve them at Lago, but this batch I'm afraid I was too greedy with...

I picked up some really nice leeks this weekend at the market which will turn into potato leek soup. Also some fennel for fennel, parsley, red onion salad. I think we will use the chantrelles in either a creamy sauce for penne or a risotto. And still lots of cucumbers......going to try to recreate the roasted salmon with tarragon cream fraiche and cucumbers that we had at Chez Panisse.

• 2 weeks later...

At last weeks market we got a nice selection of mushrooms and made a wild mushroom risotto with roasted garlic. Very tasty. I'm going to try to get more this week, anyone ever try the 'fried chicken' mushrooms?? funny!

Also the asian pears at the UDist market have just been incredible! we are hooked.

Smeared some of the yummy goat cheese found there on toasted baguette slices and dolloped with a bit of home made pesto.

We might try the oysters this week, we buy the mussels often!

I love Sat mornings!

anyone ever try the 'fried chicken' mushrooms?? funny!

Yep, and just came home with some from the U Farmer's Mkt. They are AWESOME. Also brought home some matsutakes. The lady there (is this Donna?) has TONS of them. All sorts of varieties were there this morning. Some I'd never heard of or seen before.

Born Free, Now Expensive

We just got home too!!!

More Chanterelles, carrots, corn, leeks, summer squash and this time some oysters!!

ok, will get some fried chicken mushrooms next time! How do you best like to use them malarkey? Is it from the 'something wild' booth. I tried the one at the back this time.

I can't believe I missed both of you! I bought pumpkin ravioli, kabocha squash, beets, carrots, bread-and-butter radishes, mixed salad greens, and potatoes of many colors. I plan to make some sort of curried carrot/kabocha soup.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hehe I was at the U Dist. market too today, though near its closing time.

Got a bunch of apples, Honeycrisp and Fuji. Also got a tub of Quark (German yogurt cheese) and a brick o' cheddah.

The mushrooms did look amazing, especially the lobster mushrooms. Missed the fried chicken ones though, will go back for them next time.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

A word to the wise on the mushroom front. The larger porcinis and matsutakes are favorites for colonies of burrowing worms. Befuse using them, bisect the stems from root to cap and check whether they are solid of riddled with small holes 1mm or so in diameter. If they have the holes, worms have moved in. Sometimes as many as half of the mushrooms you buy can be affected. If you get to know a good supplier, they may let you cut the mushrooms open with a pocket knife to check them out at the time of purchase.

BTW, this tip comes courtesy of Chef Steve Smrstik of Flying Fish.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

A word to the wise on the mushroom front.  The larger porcinis and matsutakes are favorites for colonies of burrowing worms.  Befuse using them, bisect the stems from root to cap and check whether they are solid of riddled with small holes 1mm or so in diameter.  If they have the holes, worms have moved in.  Sometimes as many as half of the mushrooms you buy can be affected.  If you get to know a good supplier, they may let you cut the mushrooms open with a pocket knife to check them out at the time of purchase.

BTW, this tip comes courtesy of Chef Steve Smrstik of Flying Fish.

Would this be true of the larger chanterelles also? we have been trimming the ends and then slicing them thickly with no sign of holes but good to know right?

Would this be true of the larger chanterelles also? we have been trimming the ends and then slicing them thickly with no sign of holes but good to know right?

I have never seen worms in chanterelles, nor in matsutakes. I have, however, seen slugs on chanterelles and a beatle like bug on matsutakes.

It really depends more on where the mushrooms come from and the time of the season. Boletes, in the PNW, are almost always wormy in the Spring. if you pick Spring boletes you will see a tell-tale little white fly around theushrooms in the field. The flies have layed their eggs and the worms will work their way up the stem and into the cap. Doesn't matter whether it is a mature bolete or a fine button. If you look at the end of the stem of the bolete you can see the pin holes most of the time.

Fall boletes are seldom infested with worms.

If it is damp as it has been the last week you will start to see decay, slime from slugs and other deteration. Other things (besides people and bugs) that like mushrooms and especially boletes are kangaroo mice, squirrels and deer.

A little extra protin from worms is okay. just remember: they are better cooked tha raw and wild mushrooms are always safer cooked. Soaking in saltwater also gets worms out of mushrooms but doesn't do much for the cooking or the dish.

dave

I'll be in Seattle on Wednesday and will hit the market (Pike Place) I plan to stock up on chanterelles to take home to the Bay Area. While I hope to do the whole market, any particular vendors to seek out? Also any other top picks? Isn't there a good spice market too? Much appreciated!

I'll be in Seattle on Wednesday and will hit the market (Pike Place) I plan to stock up on chanterelles to take home to the Bay Area. While I hope to do the whole market, any particular vendors to seek out? Also any other top picks? Isn't there a good spice market too? Much appreciated!

Either Sosio's or Frank's for mushrooms. Sosio's will have a larger variety but they also tend to be a little more expensive. There are other stalls close to those two as well, so no harm in checking them out and comparing for what seems best on that day.

There are three spice shops in the market, The Souk, Market Spice and World Spice Merchants (on Western Ave). The Souk specializes in Indian and Pakistani spices, staples, groceries and gifts, and Market Spice is a tea 'n' spices kind of place. World Spice Merchants is the largest and most comprehensive of the three, haven't been there myself yet though my chef instructors recommend them highly.

Pat

whups. Didn't see this thread until just now. Just made a long post about our mushroom finds (esp. matsutakes) on the mushroom thread.

Yes, I also agree the Fried Chix mushrooms are fantastic. We got some from the forest, and I just sauteed them in lots of butter, and they were out of this world. I have read online they are second rate mushrooms, but there was nothing second rate about the flavor of these.

My 2 cents regarding worms... I am meticulous with regards to checking for worms, as I find them off putting (although many people ignore them). I have in the past even had worms in Chantrelles (including yesterdays from the forest after the rain), matsutakes (last year) and boletes (very common in larger boletes). This year's mushrooms for the most part have been excellent!

Fall boletes are seldom infested with worms.

dave

er, I would disagree with this. Some are, some aren't. The one thing about boletes (porcini/cepes) I have noticed, is that the day you pick them, if you remove the sponge underside (in the larger ones), and then store in fridge with damp paper towel on top, one is ok. If you don't remove the sponge underside on the large ones, overnight the worms seem to travel from the sponge into the cap and also spread from mushroom to mushroom. I was able to sucessfully store boletes in my fridge for about a week, after removing the sponge and separating the small ones from the larger ones. I was shocked, but happy they stored well after my prep work.

Also picked up some romanesco broccoli today at UDist market. Wow! It's spendy!! Not sure if we will roast it or steam it.....

Still a good selection of chanterelles. And squash everywhere!!! In every variety!!!

Eggs, spinach, onions, carrots, leeks, potatoes.......mmmmmmmmm

Has anyone tried Bella's Buns? We didn't today but MAN they looked good! Maybe next week.

Has anyone tried Bella's Buns? We didn't today but MAN they looked good! Maybe next week.

We love the sticky buns. Trying to remember the three usual flavors: pear almond, caramel pecan, and a chocolate nut. They also sometimes have special flavors. One Saturday we tried a savory bun, Gruyere and wild mushroom, that was extremely buttery and delicious. They have a website, but no content on it yet. I heard the woman, who I think is Carolyn, telling a customer that they are trying out bun-selling with the plan to open a shop in the future.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

The matsutakes are out in force now. Yesterday Kurt the sunday mushroom guy at pike place had his first round of Oregon black truffles. He's hoping to have them up nearly through the end of the year. He also still had chanterelles, gorgeous matsutakes and some of the nicest black trumpets I've ever seen. No infestations in the ones I got from him - really firm lovely mushrooms. Mine became ravioli filling along with leeks, shallots and year-old gorgonzola. Some of the other stalls buy their mushrooms from Kurt as well and he's a really swell guy and knows his fungi.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Delicata, butternut, cauliflower, onions, arugula, smoked salmon, eggs.

We tried the buns. I was determined not to like them as we have been buying strudel from 'strudel lady' every market day for 2 years. But they were good!!! I had the wild mushroom one that Laurie B mentions. My husband had the almond pear with caramel. Both were wonderful!

The market is really winding down, lots of empty spaces and vendors with less tables than before. It's kind of sad...... :sad:

Yesterday's U-Dist. haul: assorted winter squashes, sack o' organic edamame, umeboshi, more honeycrisp apples, pea vine, hedgehog mushrooms, chanterelles, leeks, and potatoes.

Also picked up my Thundering Hooves pasture finished beef and chicken order two weeks ago, and have been enjoying that.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

At the market today Taylor Shellfish said that the market on Capitol Hill is going to be open year around and he will be there Saturdays after the UDist. is over

lots of apple ciders today, squash, apples, pears.

Thanks for shopping with us MsRamsey! That was fun!!

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Cool, seafood at the Capitol Hill market soon, thanks for the news little ms.

Today at the Capitol Hill market: cup 'o cider, eggs, humongous bunch of celery, dinosaur kale, delicatta squash, apples and pears. Also inquired about bones at the Whidbey Island based pasture finished meat seller's stand but they had none today. She said to try them next weekend so I'll wait until then to make stock.

Was fun riding the bus back home afterwards, passengers around me commented on how good the celery smelled, and they wanted to run right home and make soup ASAP.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)