• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Appetizing on the Upper East Side?

Mulcahy

I am a West Side girl. Do all my smoked fish shopping at either Murray's Sturgeon shop or Zabar's.

I work on the East Side. Tonight I have to pick up some appetizing to take to a friend on the Upper East. Where do I go??

Although I haven't tried either, what about Eli's or The Vinegar Factory?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You have quite a few strong choices available: Grace's, Citarella, Agata & Valentina, Eli's, Vinegar Factory, Dean & DeLuca, and some smaller stores . . . . Can you narrow down the geography a bit?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I work on 50th and 3rd. Am visiting a friend on 86th and 3rd.

Anywhere between here and there, one avenue to the east or west is easy enough for me to get to.

Am looking, specifically, for excellent smoked salmon and sturgeon.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but the best appetizing by far on the UES is at Sable's - 2nd Avenue between 77 & 78.

The guys know how to cut fish - the owner was a lox man at Zabar's for like 25 years before opening this place. There's probably 6 or 7 salmons, sable, sturgeon, chubs, whitefish, pickled lox, various herrings, delicious salads, etc. High turnover means really fresh stuff.

All the others pale in comparison, imho.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?