• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aurora, CO, Vittles

rlm

A few of the places I've been able to check out so far in Aurora (besides the previously-discussed Yummy Yummy):

El Parralito

A co-worker from El Paso recommended this place, so I was surprised at how boring my lunch was. This is in a shopping center on Buckley and looks like an old diner inside. I noticed they sat pitchers of water at each table, so I thought, “A-ha, perhaps I am about to have a pleasing spicy green chili experience.” The salsa is served in what looks like ice cream sundae cups and has a slight bite to it.

I ordered the #10-taco, tamale, enchilada, rice, and guacamole ($7.50). I asked for the tamale and enchilada to be smothered in the spiciest green chili they had and was disappointed to hear, “It’s not spicy.” I didn’t get to sample it anyway, since they ignored my request and brought everything out with red sauce. The taco meat had sauce mixed into it (a nice touch) and was pretty good (though beaten by many other taquerias). Enchilada was of the cheesy Tex-Mex variety & was also pretty good, but the tamale would have been inedible without the sauce & some of the gooey cheese over-spill from the enchilada.

Caldonia's

This BBQ joint/bar at Parker & Iliff would be right at home alongside the bars in LoDo (lots of TVs/neon beer signs). Several old signed pix of celebrities like Clint Black on the wall of the entrance, including that ex-Bronco who was convicted about a year ago of stealing money from several women. Definitely was a male-bonding type of environment. Had the Baby Back Basket (half a rack of baby-back ribs) with hushpuppies for $11.95 and a hot link ($1.95 extra for the link). Other side options are slaw, mashed potatoes, okra, fries, red beans and rice, potato salad, baked beans, and mac-n-cheese. Hushpuppies were small, yellow-brown orbs that were vastly improved by dunking them in the side cup of BBQ sauce. The baby backs were decent (not as good as M&D’s pork ribs), but the hot link was outstanding (juicy, and did not require sauce). Small slice of watermelon was included in the basket.

Helga's German Restaurant and Deli

I think I was the only person under 80 here. Lots of retirees kicking back dark German beers in the middle of the day (good for them, I say). I had the Jager Schnitzel (pork tenderloin with brown Hunter’s sauce and mushrooms) with spatzle and pan fried potatoes (just trying to make my starch quotient for the week) for $9.05. It wasn’t bad, but could have used more seasonings. I longed to try the Black Forest Torte, but the server (who was working half the busy restaurant by herself) told me she had not assembled it yet.

Obee's (Soups, Salads, and Subs)

This is a local outpost of a growing chain based in Florida. This one is in a shopping center on Buckley. They fresh-sliced the meat and cheese after we ordered (a nice touch, but of course, it slows down the line). The ham was sliced into these perfect feathery pillows that made for a nice mouth-feel. All the basic toppings are available, although this location has four or five different kinds of peppers including red pepper rings (not just green bell, banana, and jalapenos). I really hate to use the word “juicy” again, but my Spicy Italian Sub was packed with toppings and the juices were definitely running down my chin after only a bite.

Star of India

Typical buffet spread (Chicken Masala, Veggie Korma, Saag Paneer). I’m not an Indian food expert, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as India House downtown or even the Taj in Boulder. Great price though--$7.95. Their take-out menu features something called a Veg. Ass. Platter.

Fat Burger

A Cali burger chain infiltrating the rest of America. Their shake machines were out of commission when we were there, so we ordered two fat burgers and split some onion rings. Decent burger, boring rings.

So I'm really looking for some GREAT Aurora places to try. Please post if you find any. Has anyone been to Thai Flavor or Bent Noodle?

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

• 2 weeks later...

WAH! :sad: No-one has any Aurora recommendations for me? We really need some more CO people on the board, eh? If you're a lurker, please post. We don't bite. (Well, Mongo might...ha ha.)

Right now, I am really missing downtown (no more walking to Panzano and Tamayo for me).

Thinking of checking out Masalaa and Real de Minas next (since Kyle Wagner says Real's green chile is "hot hot hot" and I've read a few good things about Masalaa as well).

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Go to Masalaa without hesitation, rlm. Dosas, Idli, and many other wondrous things that I can't remember right now, 'cause I get out to Aurora so rarely. They are extremely fairly priced also, big portions, lots of choices and combo plates with a little of many flavors on them.

PS-- have you had that veg ass platter yet?

Edited by fredbram (log)

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

i don't bite--i groom.

have not been to the aurora masala--but i have been to the boulder outpost a bunch of times. that one is somewhat inconsistent but when they're good they do pretty good tamilian food (as good as you can get in places without large indian populations). i hear the aurora original is better.

so, at dim sum did people bat around ideas for the next dinner? this time we really should do it in boulder. rlm, any ideas?

so, at dim sum did people bat around ideas for the next dinner? this time we really should do it in boulder. rlm, any ideas?

I heard you were taking everyone out to Frasca, Mongo. :biggrin:

When is that Indian/Mexican/Italian fusion thing opening at One Boulder Plaza? That would probably inspire some interesting conversations.

Go to Masalaa without hesitation, rlm...

PS-- have you had that veg ass platter yet?

Fred, I think I need to go back for dinner so I can order off of the menu. I am an early eater at lunch and they didn't have very much out on the buffet yet. I asked if I could see a menu and they pointed me towards the buffet, so I guess they won't serve you off of the menu at lunch. ??? The mango lassi I had to drink was yummy. And no, I have not been back to Star of India to order the poorly-abbreviated veg. ass. platter.

Edited by rlm (log)