• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Texas Chat with Chef Lanny Lancarte II

Richard Kilgore

Thanks for being with us, Lanny. And thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion.

Here's a link to the dinner that Scott - DFW is organizing for this coming Saturday at Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana. Please post your interest there or PM Scott -- DFW.

I hope you still check this. Sorry for the delay on the response. I think that Tex-Mex cuisine is an American Regional cuisine. It was created by immigrants to this country to accommodate the tastes of the local communities. It has roots in Mexican cuisine but separates itself (how ever you take it) with American ingredients. I am a little torn on this subject, I consider my great-grandmother a pioneer of Tex-Mex cuisine and have taken a lot of shots as to the bastardization on Mexican cuisine. I know that my great grandmother could anything under the sun and was born in Michocan in a Mexican Kitchen. With that said in her time she could have tried some authentic dishes on her clientele but what she ended up serving pleased her patrons and caused two things: repeat business and the evolvement of Tex-Mex cuisine.

It is a hard answer on the city with the best Mexican. I do think Chicago has good food, Santa Fe is a little to Southwest for me, unfortunately I have not dined in L.A. and here in Texas, I always enjoy frequenting restaurants in Hispanic Neighborhoods. As long as someone is pouring his or her heart into the food, the city has no choice but accept an exceptional restaurant.

My last meal would have to be about a 30 course tasting. Mainly Mexican, but there would have to be an Italian chef involved with some Italian wines. More specifically if I had to choose, which I hope I never do, Chicken in Black Mole.

And lastly, being reservation only and knowing the menu, we have a pretty "tranquillo" kitchen. If I do curse its usually all in Spanish (as I am the only one in the kitchen who speaks English) it would have to be Chingado, ya; ya se quemo.

I would entertain any more questions if you like. If not I enjoyed talking with all of you. Thanks.

Lanny Lancarte

Thanks for the response. I'm more of a Yosemite Sam, mumbling cusser in my home kitchen, so "pinche" is most appropriate for me, I think. Though, yours could get a lot of use, I think.

Thanks again. I look forward to seeing pics from the coming dinner.

Hi again Lanny,

I've enjoyed this chat very much.

As a DC-area resident who knows the food scene quite well in this area, I see this forum as "part x of y" of your leap onto the national stage.

What do you think about that? Do you even WANT to be nationally recognized for your work, or do you prefer to remain locally respected and revered?

I believe chats like this are a fine way to "introduce" yourself, to make yourself known, to the larger, national community, but to take it to the next step might require some serious PR. Would it be worth it? I don't think there's a wrong answer here, depending on what you wish to do.

Kind regards,

Don Rockwell

P.S. And yes, we're watching you from up here in the nation's capital, with great interest in the fine job you're doing with this chat. Though there may not be immediate national dividends visible, I've found (personally found) that dilligence and articulation pay off, even when you don't intend them to.

Carry on, Lanny. I look forward to coming down there soon.