• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OK Wine Festival

DameD

Just got back from an amazing week Kaleden (just outside of Penticton) and spent a couple of days tasting the fruits of the Valley and my those wines esp. in Naramata are great. Being so late in the season we missed out most of the reds, which was disappointing as I wanted a case from Poplar Grove, though got some wonderful blue cheese and camembert and found a great Gamay at Kettle Valley. I was told thru the grape vine (he he) that a lot of wineries will be releasing their secret stock at the Festival, can this be true.. is anyone going up this year??

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

No, sadly - overspent at the Spring Wine Festival & last year's fall wine festival :sad: here's hoping for next year. I hadn't heard that the wineries had kept "secret stocks" - just that a lot of them had sold out (i.e. Poplar Grove) - hmmm - I should contact some of my favourites to see if there's any chance :raz:

No, sadly - overspent at the Spring Wine Festival & last year's fall wine festival  :sad: here's hoping for next year.  I hadn't heard that the wineries had kept "secret stocks" - just that a lot of them had sold out (i.e. Poplar Grove) - hmmm - I should contact some of my favourites to see if there's any chance  :raz:

Definitely as it was Poplar Grove who said they have secret stocks.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

HMMM - thanks for the update - where in Kaleden did you stay?  We love the area & used to stay at the Bears' Den, but Ross & Ed sold up.

We have a cabin there that has been in the family since the 50's, it is right on the beach. But it is great area, nice, quiet and relaxing.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

• 1 year later...

Well... instead of starting a new OK wine festival thread, I thought I'd revitalize this one.

Was up in the Okanagan for the beginning of the fall festival and enjoyed 3 1/2 days of tasting wines and sampling food.

Day one included a stop in the Similkameen as I was inspired to try at least one of the wineries mentioned in Taste of the Similkameen Valley dinner to be held later this month at Bis Moreno.

As I figured we'd be going right past (more or less) the vineyard I wanted to check out (Orofino), I did a bit of research on all vineyards/wineries in the area and came up with this

link.

We only had time to stop at a couple of wineries and the first one we came across was St. Laszlo. What to say.....well, let's just say that I doubt there'll be a return visit. The proprietor/winemaker was quite a charming fellow but his wines did not particularly appeal to any of us. However, I did purchase his rose petal wine as it was quite unique. And, he has a lovely German Shepherd dog named "Nash". :biggrin:

Next stop however, yielded much different results. We found ourselves at Orofino Vineyards and were all quite blown away by this young wineries early efforts. They are working with some vines that are about 16 years in age and have built the first strawbale winery in Canada. As to the wines.... their 2003 Merlot/Cab blend won an award as did their 2004 Chardonnay. I picked up two bottles of their Pinot Noir (to serve with this year's Thanksgiving dinner), a bottle of the Merlot/Cab, one of their Riesling and one bottle of Chardonnay. Am looking forward to the dinner at Bis Moreno later this month that will feature their wines...... if the attendance is high enough that is.

Drove the rest of the way into Penticton to meet up with some other friends and had dinner that night at Theo's..... a restaurant I see was maligned elsewhere in this forum but one that I enjoyed quite a bit. Perhaps they have improved since last year... or perhaps I have a less discerning palette. Who knows.

Up next..... Day Two.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 1 month later...

Well.... it's been a rather long time for me to get back to this thread with additional comments and information about the fall wine fest.... I'm debating about the merits of following through with day 2, 3 and 4.

Not that it’s going to be life altering or anything, :laugh::rolleyes: ... but I do wonder (and this doesn't just pertain to this thread).... if one is out of the loop for a while, is it still worth it to post comments?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Well.... it's been a rather long time for me to get back to this thread with additional comments and information about the fall wine fest.... I'm debating about the merits of following through with day 2, 3 and 4. 

Not that it’s going to be life altering or anything, :laugh::rolleyes: ... but I do wonder (and this doesn't just pertain to this thread).... if one is out of the loop for a while, is it still worth it to post comments?

Yes Sarah,

Considering how many local wine lovers there are in this forum, I think we'd all love to hear more about the festival.

Thanks,

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I just started to see if any of my friends would be interested in going up to the winder ice wine festival. Has anyone ever been and any recommendations for me if I do decide to head up.

I was never interested in wine till this past summer when I was at a dragon boat festival and found myself at 5 different wineries doing tasting ands purchasing bottles. My favourite purchase was two bottles of 03 Tapestry from Little Straw Vineyards.

I also just picked up a nice and unique bottle of late harvest from Blossom Winery since the holidays is coming up fast.

http://www.blossomwinery.com/english/wines/stackable.html