• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nederland, Colorado

has there been any discussion of this place?

we had friends in town for the weekend and on sunday we did the peak to peak drive. stopped in nederland for lunch and this place caught my eye. a very nice space, lots of funky old german-american waiters (including ours who looked like a cross between the old terence stamp and the young rutger hauer,) and, unfortunately, very hit-and-miss food. two of us got the elk goulash special (decent goulash, not so decent egg-noodles), one the calf's liver and onions (this was excellent), and one the sauerbraten (also decent). while the main components of the entrees were fine the sides were very uninspiring: the mushrooms looked like they'd recently emerged from a can and it wouldn't surprise me if the sweet and sour cabbage had similar industrial origins. the torte of the day (a dark chocolate cake with raspberry jam) was the highlight of the menu--the german apple strudel was competent but nothing amazing.

anyone else have experiences to report?

edit: why did i spell menu "mean"?

Edited by mongo_jones (log)

Mongo, we ate there quite some time ago (over a year ago at least) and were very disappointed. The food filled us up, but it was not satisfying. It has been ages since I have had good German food. Recently tried Helga's in Aurora, but it didn't really twiddle my knobs either.

Pretty sad that I'll either have to go to Oklahoma (Old Germany), Indiana (Rathskeller), or Texas (a number of places in Fredericksburg) for a hearty German meal.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Never been to the Black Forest, but if anyone is travelling on I-25 in New Mexico, Renate's is a German restaurant just off the highway in Glorieta - very fresh, very tasty, and reasonably priced. I go there for comfort food: The bratwurst, the potato pancakes, the rum cake!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Speaking of German food, does any one know if Golden Europe is still around in Arvada? That place had the best pork loin I've ever had and probably the best gravy to boot. The Jager Schnitzel was great, and their strudel? drool... In the olden days (few years ago), German food in Denver was usually said to be Cafe Berlin, Golden Europe and Chinook Tavern.

Of course, the owners were/are Czechs, so maybe the cuisine isn't strict German, but I don't care. Everything there was so good.

---

Well, after a trip around Google, it seems that Golden Europe will at least be catering something in October, so I have hope it's still around. Maybe it's time to head down to ye olde hometowne.

Edited by TheMatt (log)

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

Thanks for another tip, afoodnut.

Looks like they're there (or at least they still have an active website):

Andrea's Homestead Cafe

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

• 3 years later...

Any recent reports for this part of the world? I read a few good things about a newer place in Nederland called the First Street Bar and Grill. We'll be taking a leisurely peak-to-peak drive up from Denver next weekend and would like a place to stop for brunch or lunch. Preferably with view, but that would be secondary to the food. Alcohol not important since I'll be driving and my passenger is too young to take over the wheel for me.

I think this place used to be in Blackhawk, (before gambling) and was called the Black Forest Inn. Ate there many times, and always had the Elk tenderloin and spatzel.. Thought it was great. But that had to be 20+years ago...

Bud