• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

foil pack cooking

iain

I'm going camping this coming weekend. For a few different reasons, I'd like to prepare most of the food at home to cook in foil packs on the embers of the fire. I've done a bit of web research and most of the recipes/ideas on sites out there are exceedingly basic. I'd love to do something a little more interesting that cubes of beef with onions and potatoes.

Does anyone here have any ideas or recipes for great outdoor food that can be mostly prepped in advance?

Why not do a nice filet of fish with lemon, white wine, dill, shallots, and butter? Is this "car camping"? Obviously, backcountry expeditions wouldn't allow for such luxuries as easily-spoiled proteins. If you have a cooler though, it seems like the sky is the limit.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Why not do a nice filet of fish with lemon, white wine, dill, shallots, and butter?  Is this "car camping"?  Obviously, backcountry expeditions wouldn't allow for such luxuries as easily-spoiled proteins.  If you have a cooler though, it seems like the sky is the limit.

This will be car camping, yes. The plan is prepare the pouches at home and throw them in a cooler.

Omelet in a Bag has potential.

This sounds pretty, good, actually.

A second on the fish. Salmon, skin down and topped with salt, pepper, aromatic herbs of your choice, and lemon slices, will steam/roast really well in foil. If you're doing this hours in advance, you might not want to use acidic liquids like wine or lemon juice, because of the reactivity of foil.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

I marinate my ribs before leaving the house and put them in a sealed ziploc bag. They are ready to throw on the grate that night.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Read through some of the recipes on this site.

There are quite a number of camping recipes using foil packs and even cooking bags inside fild packs for even juicier results.

Back in the days when I was young enough to go camping, hiking and fishing in the High Sierras, I used to make up aluminum foil packets of "stew" and when we got to Bishop, before starting up into the high country we would put them in on top of the engine (old 59 Jeep) and by the time we got to Convict Lake they would be done for our first evening's dinner.

Trout, fresh-caught and cooked in foil with some butter and lemon slices (and maybe some dill) tucked inside the cavity is ambrosical, especially if eaten with the fingers right off the foil, burned fingers and all.

Stuffed pork chops, in a triple layer of foil, buried in the coals for about 35 - 40 minutes 9or more if they are really thick) are better than cake.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Read through some of the recipes on this site.

There are quite a number of camping recipes using foil packs and even cooking bags inside fild packs for even juicier results. 

Excellent - thanks for the link. This will be a great starting point for making something truly delicious.

One of our foil pack recipe favorites is chopped pork tenderloin and summer squash, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, onions (green or yellow) marinated in a balsamic vinagrette and topped with feta or goat cheese. Spray the foil with canola or olive oil before loading the goods in so the cheese doesn't all end up sizzled to the foil.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

One of our favorites is boneless chicken, roasted red peppers, roasted onions (this is a key ingredient - roast a whole onion, with skin on, in the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350 or until soft - let cool and then peel and tear into pieces), basil (summer) or spinach (winter) EVOO, salt and pepper, and goat cheese.

DO make sure to spray the foil or use the nonstick foil!

My husband loves this so much that we call it "Danny's Chicken"! :wub: