• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

day trip to Giverny

Cpalms

I will be in Paris on business towards the end of september, I have a day free and had always wanted to see Giverny. Since this is just day trip between meetings I wanted to make the day include a special meal outside the city. I believe we will be taking the train and price is not much of an object, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for lunch. Any lunch suggestions or any other suggestions for that matter would be much appreciated..

Giverny.  Any lunch suggestions or any other suggestions for that matter would be much appreciated..

There are/were two places along the road past Giverny from Vernon but I think they're only open in Summer; we've always eaten in town, usually at Les Fleurs in Vernon (where the train stops) and listed in the Michelin which has a Bib Smiley face; not great but not disgraceful.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

The only way to do Giverny is a picnic. Bring a basket with you, with some wine, cheese, and perhaps saucisson, and have your meal in the glorious grounds. Certainly my idea of heaven.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

One option, particularly in nice weather is the Moulin de Fourges just outside of Giverny in a lovely pastoral setting beside a small river. The cuisine is traditional, not haute cuisine but better than the slim pickings in Giverny. One disadvantage is that the more expensive tours on day trips from Paris visit there in their vans.

• 3 weeks later...

There's the Anciente Hotel Baudy, museum/restaurant( this is where the American Impressionists stayed to be near Monet. It's no longer a hotel) and The Jardin of Giverny, A hotel/restaurant. Both minutes walk from Monet's House and Gardens.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher