• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panini Grills and Presses: Which to Buy?

glenn

We have a Cuisinart GR-4, and I absolutely like it. Makes really nice pressed sandwiches, and I've even had good luck with pancakes using the 2nd set of plates.

The nice thing about the GR-4 is the "floating" top, so it nicely accepts thicker sandwiches, and it can handle more than 1 sandwich at a time.

Yeah, that looks really nice. Have you used it for grilling other things like burgers and steaks?

I'm also wondering if this replaces the need for a toaster? I only toast bread for sandwiches, not to make, uh, toast with eggs or anything like that.

Edited by Kent Wang (log)

• 6 months later...

I have a 15" Nuova Simonelli grill that someone gave me to settle a debt. I didn't really want a $800 panini grill. But it was that or nothing. That being said, I've come to really, really like the thing. It makes a fantastic sandwich.

Having a commercial model, I can't understand why people buy lightweight panini grills. I've yet to see one that feels heavy enough to make a proper sandwich. The model I have weighs more than 50 pounds.

I also can't imagine how ceramic would do as good a job as cast iron. Ceramic makes a great insulator. Iron makes a great conductor. I want a great conductor for crusting up my sandwiches.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

. . . .

Having a commercial model, I can't understand why people buy lightweight panini grills. I've yet to see one that feels heavy enough to make a proper sandwich. The model I have weighs more than 50 pounds.

. . . .

I'm guessing that a price tag in the range of $800 has a lot to do with it. That, and for some reason, people don't take smaller kitchen appliances that seriously.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The old Toas-Tite sandwich press has been reborn and looks like fun. Some background in the New York Times: Return of the Toas-Tite

I saw that article yesterday, too. I also pulled up this e-gullet thread on the topic to help me decide whether to spring for one or not. Still on the fence at the moment.

It's a jaffle!! Or at least that's what they're called here. The cheese can get surface-of-the-sun-hot, but a tomato in it is usually worse. We have an old electric jaffle maker an I have used to make ersatz fruit pies with purchased puff pastry and whatever sounds good as a filling.

I have a Breville at home and am about to buy a second one for the staffroom. The non-stick surface conducts heat just fine, an it seems that it doesn't take an enormous amount of pressure to crisp and flatten the sandwiches. When we were renovating the kitchen it was our only cooking surface.

I have a Foreman thing that has exchangeable plates to turn it from a panini grill to a waffle iron and that thing works surprisingly well. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it's been a handy machine that I'd not want to throw out. Use it more for waffles now with the kids, but it also worked great to make nice crips bacon or those paninis.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 2 months later...

I’ve become very interested in the Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler. Im hoping someone has purchased the waffle inserts and is very happy with them. I’m hoping to make whole-ish grain waffles.

Ill probably use this more for waffles than panini, but now that Im back to baking bread (via machine) I might get interested in panini with all the SV 'cold cuts' I now have.

Thanks

I have the Cuisinart and considered the waffle plates, but they cost as much as a complete waffle maker! (I actually have a GE waffle iron that works well.). The Costco version of the GR-4 (I think it's a GR-8) appears to be identical in every way except it costs about half. I got mine for even less when they had a coupon.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs