• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max's Bad BBQ

Stone

I put my pork in at 10-11pm for lunchtime or 5am for dinnertime. I don't have to monitor nothing since I have one of these bad boys...My sweet wife got it for my birthday. Love that girl...

Mmm mmm mmm...smokey

Ant

I bet that looks purty next to your gas grill.

ooooo. SNAP!!! :unsure:

Tommy, this is a discussion between New York State residents. Don't you have an italian restaurant you need to go try or something?? :raz:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I put my pork in at 10-11pm for lunchtime or 5am for dinnertime. I don't have to monitor nothing since I have one of these bad boys...My sweet wife got it for my birthday. Love that girl...

Mmm mmm mmm...smokey

Ant

You're right, I should start smoking my meat under the tailpipe of my big honkin' motorcycle....Vrooom vrooom!!! :raz:

Mmm mmm mmm...smokey

Ant

You're right, I should start smoking my meat under the tailpipe of my big honkin' motorcycle....Vrooom vrooom!!! :raz:

Snapback!

The outer layer was pink, but about a half-inch in, the pork was white. These were very meaty ribs, so I assume they just weren't cooked long enough.

The pink outer layer is the smoke ring. It's supposed to be there. It's got all the nitrate-goodness.

What I was trying to get across was that the smoke ring wasn't that deep in the meet. I think that either they aren't smoking it long enough or switch to less meaty ribs. For example, the ribs at Blue Smoke are pink almost all the way through, but are less meaty than Max's.

Oh. Nevermind.

BBQ Chef,

How come you didn't go to the Hudson Valley Rib Festival? I think there was only one local from Kingston thre.

Where in Newbugh are you?

I was the first one to be invited and turned them on to Hickory. This summer was just too busy for me to be able to attend. In july I took on a second restauraunt from a friend of mine. I knew that around that time I would be taking over the new place and wouldn't have enough of me or staff to handle two restaurants as well as the rib-fest.

Barnstormer BBQ is on Rt. 17K just of the NY Thruway. It is in a stripmall that is currently being re-done by adding a Target. Barnstormer is open 7 days a week during the construction.

Barnstormer BBQ

Rt. 9W

Fort Montgomery NY

845 446 0912

• 3 years later...

I drive by here a lot. Sometimes I think it was a little unfair that the title of the thread I started advertises that it's bad bbq. Perhaps the title should have been something neutral. So I stopped in again (I think I've been in at least one more before this) for a quick meal before a movie.

It's bad bbq. Not negatively bad -- It's not too salty, too fatty, or offensive. It's just not good. I wouldn't have thought it possible to cook meat, much less bbq, with so little flavor.

The brisket (flat, which I prefer) was good to a good texture. That's about all that could be said about it. Not only was there no smoke ring, there was no smoke flavor. There was no flavor at all. I wouldn't think it possible to make such bland brisket unless it was just braised in water. It's billed as served with caramelized onions. Apparently, the kitchen doesn't know the difference between caramelized onion and sauteed onion. Again, no flavor whatsoever.

The ribs were pretty much the same. Well cooked and meaty but with no taste, other than from the brushed on bbq sauce.

The best part of the dinner was the sweet corn.

I guess it's popular because the restaurant has a great design, it's comfortable and the service is friendly. But really, buy some wood and throw it in the oven.

Yeah, the brisket is probably the worst thing on the menu. I'm not praising Max's here, but their pork is much better than their brisket.

I've heard decent things about the barbecue place on 28 in Kingston. That might be a bit of a hike for you though....and I've never actually tried it to recommend it...

All you need is Barnstormer which has moved to Rt 9w just south of West Point and Ummm North of the Bear Mt Bridge...

Geoff where the heck are you guys now? :blush:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association