• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dang that chana dal......

nessa

This is the second time that I've cooked chana dal. Last time I gave up and ate them still a bit firm. Mind you, I cook all manner of legumes, but chana is still new to me. It is still firm after a 16 hour soak, and 8 hours of cooking on the stove. I don't have a pressure cooker. It tastes good, but the dal are still firmer than I think they should be. I'm not looking for mush, but these still seem a bit al dente, if you will.

What might I be doing wrong? Or, is this the way they are supposed to be? Will 8 hours overnight in a slow cooker help, or should I just shut up and eat them already?

What do you prefer with chana dal? Roti? Rice? Nothing but a spoon?

:unsure:

Edited by nessa (log)

This is the second time that I've cooked chana dal.  Last time I gave up and ate them still a bit firm.  Mind you, I cook all manner of legumes, but chana is still new to me.  It is still firm after a 16 hour soak, and 8 hours of cooking on the stove.  I don't have a pressure cooker.  It tastes good, but the dal are still firmer than I think they should be.  I'm not looking for mush, but these still seem a bit al dente, if you will.

What might I be doing wrong?  Or, is this the way they are supposed to be?  Will 8 hours overnight in a slow cooker help, or should I just shut up and eat them already?

What do you prefer with chana dal?  Roti? Rice? Nothing but a spoon?

:unsure:

Are you talking about split and skinned chana dal? 16 Hours soaking and 8 hours cooking and they are still firm!!!!!!!! I think your dal may be really old. Not even whole kala chana take that long.

I only soak mine about 5-8 hours. I often use a pressure cooker, especially if I want them to be soupy. I also really like them butter soft but still holding their shape. That is a little hard to achieve though.

I like chana dal with roti, rice and a spoon please :smile:

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Yes, the split kind. I buy them at the Indian grocer, so one would assume they had a high throughput and that the dal weren't old.

They aren't hard, just not as soft as I'd like them. Tasty, though.

I *really* need a pressure cooker!

I  *really* need a pressure cooker!

Your profile doesn't reveal your location, but the thrift stores in my area usually have them for less than ten bucks.. Gaskets for them are available at many hardware stores..(recommends replacing it) Fifteen bucks investment and you are good to go..

Yes, the split kind.  I buy them at the Indian grocer, so one would assume they had a high throughput and that the dal weren't old.

They aren't hard, just not as soft as I'd like them.  Tasty, though.

I  *really* need a pressure cooker!

Nessa - repeat after me - pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Nessa - repeat after me - pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good

*Always the obediant one....

pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good... pressure cookers are good

:rolleyes:

Honest, its on my kitchen wish list, right there at the very top. Hopefully I'll be making a trip to the restaurant supply store soon!