• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

alphaiii

I have read alot of good things here about this rum.

However, I also heard alot of good things about Flor de Cana rums, and I tried the 7 year and do not like it. I actually like Mt. Gay Eclipse better. However, I don't really enjoy either enough to sip straight or buy them again. And I much rather have Captain Morgan Private Stock for mixing (I know, it's not a premium rum like Flor de Cana, but I like it....just my tastes).

I am hoping the Matusalem would fit the bill for a sipping rum. It's about at my upper limit pricewise that I can swing. I just can't go out and spend $35 on a bottle of Zaya or Mount Gay Extra Old.

So, should I even bother buying the Matusalem (having an idea of my taste in rums)? I'd hate to drop $25 on a bottle and not like it, since I just did that with the Flor de Cana ($20).

Matusalem was a good deal back when it was $18 , but at $28, sorry to much competion at that price. I didn't particulary enjoy Zaya, ok,but a bit to expensive. If you can find the Cruzan 5 yr. ( estate diamond ) give it a try....I like better than the single barrel. Speaking of Cruzan, the Trader Joes out here in California are now stocking both the 2 yr ( light and dark ) and the blackstrap ( which I would stay far away from )

Alpha,

Matusalem is $22 in PA in October???? I'll pick up a bottle if it is. I don't really need any more rum at the moment, but I've had an itching to try the Gran Reserva for a while. I'll definately do it if it's on sale.

Also, I've heard that the middle Matusalem, Clasico, is supposed to be more like the "real" Cuban Matusalem. Less vanilla taste than the GR...can anyone confirm/deny this? Clasico is aged 10 years.

Thanks!

Bruce

PS-Alpha, any idea if you can get the other Matusalems in PA???

I've heard good things about Pampero, but it runs $32 a bottle in PA.  And the Matusalem is on sale for $22 next month.

Alpha,

Matusalem is $22 in PA in October????  I'll pick up a bottle if it is.  I don't really need any more rum at the moment, but I've had an itching to try the Gran Reserva for a while.  I'll definately do it if it's on sale.

Also, I've heard that the middle Matusalem, Clasico, is supposed to be more like the "real" Cuban Matusalem.  Less vanilla taste than the GR...can anyone confirm/deny this?  Clasico is aged 10 years. 

Thanks!

Bruce

PS-Alpha, any idea if you can get the other Matusalems in PA???

As of right now, the only Matusalem listed in the LCB catalog is the Gran Reserva. And I have yet to see it in any of the stores I've been in, even though it's listed as a regular item. I contacted the LCB and they said I'd probably have to have my local store ship it in from their warehouse.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

Clasico is nice rum, but the label says something 10 Solera Blend and though you might think it is ten years old, it isn't.

If you don't like Flor de Cana, and prefer Captain Morgan Private Stock for mixing you probably shouldn't be spending more than $20 on a bottle of rum.

I would definitely try the Cruzan Estate Diamond, but if you aren't inclined to drink rum neat or with a little ice or water you might not like that either.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Clasico is nice rum, but the label says something 10 Solera Blend and though you might think it is ten years old, it isn't.

If you don't like Flor de Cana, and prefer Captain Morgan Private Stock for mixing you probably shouldn't be spending more than $20 on a bottle of rum.

I would definitely try the Cruzan Estate Diamond, but if you aren't inclined to drink rum neat or with a little ice or water you might not like that either.

I bought some Grand Havana on a whim last week and I do like it. I like it alot better than Private Stock for mixing with coke, and I like it alot better than Flor de Cana for drinking over ice. I'd say it's the best rum I've had to date, but I haven't tried many rums at all. I don't know if I could drink it neat, as it's not quite as smooth as I'd like.

Ed, I know you commented that Westerhall Plantation rum is very similar. Would you say one is better than the other? I'll probably try the Westerhall since it's significantly cheaper than the Grand Havana.

I keep holding off on the Cruzan Estate Diamond since my brother has some. So, when I can get up to NY to visit, I'll try some of his before I special order it in PA (why it's not available regularly I have no idea).

alphaiii - when you visit your brother in NYC you may also find the Pampero for less than $32......the discount liquor store on Broadway and 7th Street (ish) has Pampero for about $26. Also, not far from there is Astor wines, which has a great rum selection too

alphaiii - when you visit your brother in NYC you may also find the Pampero for less than $32......the discount liquor store on Broadway and 7th Street (ish) has Pampero for about $26.  Also, not far from there is Astor wines, which has a great rum selection too

Actually, by NY I meant the state. I won't be in NYC, but upstate near Saratoga. I'll check the discount warehouse in that area though.

• 4 weeks later...