• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wagyu/Kobe in NYC

Does anyone here know of any sources for either American Wagyu beef, or actual Kobe beef from Japan? I've gotten it in the past from Lobel's, and some restaurant purveyors, but I would like some good retail sources in the NYC / long island area. Also, have any guleteers ever had a great wagyu experience in NYC restaurants?

I don't suppose anyone here has ever had it in Japan?

Your Friend,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

They have it at Citarella sometimes. I don't get what you're after when you say you want "some good retail sources in the NYC / Long Island area." What's wrong with Lobel's? Lobel's falls pretty squarely into "NYC / Long Island." Or is it the case that what you're really looking for is waygu beef in metro-NYC for a lower price than Lobel's?

--

The Rancher's Choice "Wagyu" appears to bea cross between Angus and Wagyu. Maybe that is good, maybe it isn't, but it appears to be only part "wagyu".

Ranchers Choice beef is a cross of registered Angus and Japanese Wagyu cattle.

Judy, have you compared these to pure "Wagyu" bred steaks? The prices are not inexpensive but still less than those of pure Wagyu.

Expect to pay $100-150 per pound for the best-quality Wagyu. If you see it for $29.95 per pound … remember, you get what you pay for.
from Lobel's website.

It is interesting that the product from Rancher's Choice is labeled "Kobe". I would prefer it if they kept to the term "Wagyu" rather than the more deceptive "Kobe".

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

No, I am just looking for places other than Lobel's that carry it. I can't believe you would accuse a man as commited to meat as MISTER CUTLETS of stinting on cost. :shock:

They have it at Citarella sometimes.  I don't get what you're after when you say you want "some good retail sources in the NYC / Long Island area."  What's wrong with Lobel's?  Lobel's falls pretty squarely into "NYC / Long Island."  Or is it the case that what you're really looking for is waygu beef in metro-NYC for a lower price than Lobel's?

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

In Japan, Kobe beef sells at more than $300 per pound. Lobel's American Wagyu, while still more expensive than USDA prime, costs a bit more than $100 per pound. In terms of quality, taste and texture, Wagyu and Kobe beef are indistinguishable.
from the Lobel's website.

I feel this is a misleading statement. Of course they are distinguishable. Maybe that is wht Lobel's doesn't have pictures available of the $100+ per pound Wagyu beef cuts up on their website. In addition, Kobe beef is roughly $125 per pound here in Japan, not $300 as stated. I verified this price at Mitsukoshi yesterday. When you look at a true Kobe beef strip steak with it's intense marbling and bright pink hue, you simply can't say they are the same as the US Wagyu beef.

With overnight shipping of all sorts of fresh seafood and produce between Japan and the United States, why hasn't anyone imported true Kobe beef? It can't simply be the cost.

In addition, Kobe beef is roughly $125 per pound here in Japan, not $300 as stated. I verified this price at Mitsukoshi yesterday.

The price of Wagyu, including Kobe Beef, varies depending on the cut and the lanel. One can have Shabu-Shabu/Sukiyaki cuts from around 35-40 USD up to more than 500 USD/pound for the most expensive cuts and labels. When I have guests from overseas and I want to treat them to the worlds best beef I usually get cuts from a butcher of Kagoshima or Saga beef that costs me around 200-250 USD/pound. I have never heard anyone say anything but "This is the best steak I have ever had".

With overnight shipping of all sorts of fresh seafood and produce between Japan and the United States, why hasn't anyone imported true Kobe beef? It can't simply be the cost.

The reason why you can not get Wagyu from Japan is because it is currently illegal to import it to the US. When I had people visiting me in the US from Japan I was always tempted to ask them to bring some.

When you look at a true Kobe beef strip steak with it's intense marbling and bright pink hue, you simply can't say they are the same as the US Wagyu beef.

I couldn't agree more. I have tried Wagyu on a few occassions in the US both from retailers and in restaurants and it always makes me disappointed. In terms of flavor, marbling and tenderness US Wagyu just doesn't compare with the beef you can find in Japan.

You can't really compare Kobe beef (of Matsusaka beef for that matter) with those Wagyu Angus crosses available here in the US. Although it is good beef, it's not quite there in the same league as real kobe beef. Having said that, the best wagyu angus beef I've had in the US is from Snake River Farms. Better than the Australian stuff from Lobel's.

The French Laundry and Per Se both use Wagyu from Snake River Farms.

#1456/5000

You can't really compare Kobe beef (of Matsusaka beef for that matter) with those Wagyu Angus crosses available here in the US.  Although it is good beef, it's not quite there in the same league as real kobe beef. Having said that, the best wagyu angus beef I've had in the US is from Snake River Farms. Better than the Australian stuff from Lobel's.

The French Laundry and Per Se both use Wagyu from Snake River Farms.

I was in Wyoming, recently. Snake River Farms is in Jackson, Wyoming. Beautiful country. They sell us Wagyu cheeks and excellent Chateaubriands. Wagyu is also coming from Australia and New Zealand now.

Mark

I thought that I would mention something not well known about Kobe/Wagyu Beef.

In Honolulu, Hawaii the Hawaiian Beef Company during the 1970/80's regularly shipped live Beef from Honolulu by air to Kobe that was selected by the Japanese Beef Buyers to improve their stocks of Cattle.

The favorite selections were from the "Robinson Ranch" where the often produced smaller beef that would often Grade Prime with excellent marbling and configuration after being kept on the feedlot.

After the success of the raising and breeding of the original Hawaiian Beef they shipped regularly from the Islands to enhance their brood selections, but made much less top quality available locally.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

should a cow with a computer chip is its ear beaming out its feeding schedule and tracing its movements to someones computer screen be able to be called natural?

So long as the chip is not in the cut of meat :laugh:

In all seriousness, although I am an avid supporter of Slow Food and sustainable agriculturre, I have nothing against appropriately used technology that improves production in a sustainable way and that also helps preserve variety. I see nothing a priori to make me think that what you suggest is inconsistent with this. In my book "natural" has limited meaning and that is exaggerated. To me genetic modification of crops is not a problem because it is not "natural", but because it has so many potential other problems. This philosophic and scientific point is not really a subject for this discussion topic, but perhaps others.

Are wagyu beef raised this way?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz