• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

my kingdom for some Indian food

I'm not Indian, but I grew up eating very good Indian food at the homes of friends of mine whose parents were remarkably good cooks, and it spoiled me.

I've lived in Seattle for two and a half years and I work on the eastside, and I've found several places with solidly mediocre Indian food, but I have yet to discover anywhere really transcendent. My favorite place so far has been Udupi Palace, the vegetarian place on the eastside, but I'm trying to find some other options. I'm open to both North Indian and South Indian places. I just want some place where I'll get good food and if possible minimal white-girl-ifying (i.e. the automatic downgrading of my spice preference to mild... I understand why it happens, but this white girl likes it hot).

So what about it? Do any of you have places in particular that you'd recommend?

Kieran

I haven;t yet made it to Udapi though it comes highly recommended by South Indian friends. The only place I'll eat Indian, at this point, is Savoy, on 148th by the big Feewd Meyer, right off 520. They have a sizable grocery attached to the place though the stocks at the grocery have been slowly dwindling for months and I fear it will soon vanish altogether. They are a bit heavy on the ghee but the food has the complexity of flavor that I love in north Indian cooking. They have South Indian food as well and about the most extensive bffet I've ever seen,, though I tend to order a la carte entrees since I can get them hotter than the buffet default. It's the only thing that I miss about working on the East side.

Many other places have been recommended to me but they all seem to sufer from the same problems. Each dish has a single primary flavor plus sweet. No copmplexity, life or body to any of it and they sweeten the hell out of nearly everything. It's a little weird even.

-Amir

I'm not Indian, but I grew up eating very good Indian food at the homes of friends of mine whose parents were remarkably good cooks, and it spoiled me.

I've lived in Seattle for two and a half years and I work on the eastside, and I've found several places with solidly mediocre Indian food, but I have yet to discover anywhere really transcendent. My favorite place so far has been Udupi Palace, the vegetarian place on the eastside, but I'm trying to find some other options. I'm open to both North Indian and South Indian places. I just want some place where I'll get good food and if possible minimal white-girl-ifying (i.e. the automatic downgrading of my spice preference to mild... I understand why it happens, but this white girl likes it hot).

So what about it? Do any of you have places in particular that you'd recommend?

Kieran

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I haven;t yet made it to Udapi though it comes highly recommended by South Indian friends.  The only place I'll eat Indian, at this point, is Savoy, on 148th by the big Feewd Meyer, right off 520.  They have a sizable grocery attached to the place though the stocks at the grocery have been slowly dwindling for months and I fear it will soon vanish altogether.  They are a bit heavy on the ghee but the food has the complexity of flavor that I love in north Indian cooking.  They have South Indian food as well and about the most extensive bffet I've ever seen,, though I tend to order a la carte entrees since I can get them hotter than the buffet default. It's the only thing that I miss about working on the East side. 

Thanks for the reply. I know and enjoy the Savoy buffet for lunch and I think it's a good buffet. I should have clarified that I'm looking more for a non-buffet dinner place. I've actually never ordered a la carte there since I've always been there for buffet lunches with co-workers. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Kieran

Thanks for referring me to the thread. I checked it out and now I'm excited to check out the place in Kent. One of our good friends here is Punjabi and I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks of it.

Any other good places, I'd love to hear them.

Cedars is better than I expected it to be. I think the kitchen may suffer a little from fragmentation -- doing two cuisines makes it hard to do a really great job with either, but it's not bad. I think they're more successful with their Indian food than with their Middle Eastern food, and I enjoy their naan a great deal. It's one of those places that I would rarely think of going for a meal, but if other people want to go I have no objection to going along.

Cedars is better than I expected it to be. I think the kitchen may suffer a little from fragmentation -- doing two cuisines makes it hard to do a really great job with either, but it's not bad. I think they're more successful with their Indian food than with their Middle Eastern food, and I enjoy their naan a great deal. It's one of those places that I would rarely think of going for a meal, but if other people want to go I have no objection to going along.

Taste of India is owned and operated by the same family. I agree that Cedars is good but tries to do too much. Have not been to either for quite some time.

Having traveled to India twice last year, I must admit that I am quite fond of Cedars chai (which is a bottomless cup). The chai is as close to Indian as I have found in the NW. If you find yourself in Tacoma, Gateway to India on 6th Avenue is quite nice. They have a buffet lunch as well. Another thought on chai... Himalayan Sherpa Restaurant on University Ave. by UW has a wonderful Tibetan chai which is richer (creamier) than Indian chai. Regards, White Lotus :rolleyes:

It would be great if someone could post a link for the thread mentioned above from the Indian forum (I couldn't find it)

Here are a few past threads on Indian food in the PNW forum.

In this one, I list addresses of shops/restaurants in Kent (perhaps the same one listed on the other thread??). On the East Hill of Kent (east of 167, accessible via James and Smith Streets), there is a grouping of Indian restaurants along 108th (Benson Highway). Just south of this area, near Target, there is a new development planned that will have a grouping of Indian businesses. I think it will be anchored by a restaurant (sorry, no name for the development that I know of, but it is located north of Target and Top Foods).

Please note: the post below is three years old and some of the info may be outdated:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=kent++indian

Also, here is a thread Schielke started eons ago about Indian food:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=kent++indian

(sorry, would have done the links the better way, but it was giving me trouble.. irritated with the new format)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Having traveled to India twice last year, I must admit that I am quite fond of Cedars chai (which is a bottomless cup).  The chai is as close to Indian as I have found in the NW.  If you find yourself in Tacoma, Gateway to India on 6th Avenue is quite nice.  They have a buffet lunch as well.  Another thought on chai... Himalayan Sherpa Restaurant on University Ave. by UW has a wonderful Tibetan chai which is richer (creamier) than Indian chai.  Regards, White Lotus :rolleyes:

White Lotus...what kind of Indian food is being served at Gateway to India? Is it northern or southern? I love dosas and was wondering where to find them in the Tacoma area....does Gateway have them?

Thanks

White Lotus...what kind of Indian food is being served at Gateway to India?  Is it northern  or southern?  I love dosas and was wondering where to find them in the Tacoma area....does Gateway have them?

Thanks

Gateway is Punjabi (Northern). The only places I have found dosa's in the NW is at Savoy (Udipi) in Redmond as previously mentioned in earlier posts and also at the Indian take-out (whose name I cannot recall) at the Crossroad's Mall food court in Bellevue. Perhaps other eG folks have found it elsewhere. Have you tried those intant dosa mixes in the box at the Indian food stores? Namaste.

Gateway is Punjabi (Northern).  The only places I have found dosa's in the NW is at Savoy (Udipi) in Redmond as previously mentioned in earlier posts and also at the Indian take-out (whose name I cannot recall) at the Crossroad's Mall food court in Bellevue.  Perhaps other eG folks have found it elsewhere.  Have you tried those intant dosa mixes in the box at the Indian food stores?  Namaste.

Udupi Palace in Bellevue Crossroads (which is NOT the food court place, which I think is called Bite of India) serves dosas as well.

Udupi Palace in Bellevue Crossroads (which is NOT the food court place, which I think is called Bite of India) serves dosas as well.

WOW that is a long way to go from down here in Gig Harbor. I wish there was some place in Tacoma for that. I think i am gonna have to move closer to the food places as there seems to be little avilable from where i live.

I would love a good dosa though.

I'll give Gateway a try...i hope it's good

thanks for the info

I can't stand Cedar's. I think they suffer from the same problem as Chutney's and very nearly every other Indian place I've eaten here. Plain flavors and too sweet - dumbed down. I also find it frustrating thedegree to which the staff tends to be in my face - I don't feel like I can have a decent conversation when they are all over us to the point where I'd expect them to actually catch my fork before it hit the ground, should I knock it from the table. I need to try their Lebanese food still, though. I love the Chai at Annapurna - the little Nepali place on Broadway. Reminds me the most of the chai I had in India. I would like to find a place that makes (or has someone who could teach me to make) tungba. The owner of Himalayan SHerpa was threatening to make some a few years agoi but the last I'd heard was that American millet didn't seem to work right. Additionally I can only imagine what sorts of ugly there would be what with the crazy state liqour laws.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell

• 1 month later...
The only places I have found dosa's in the NW is at Savoy (Udipi) in Redmond as previously mentioned in earlier posts and also at the Indian take-out (whose name I cannot recall) at the Crossroad's Mall food court in Bellevue.  Perhaps other eG folks have found it elsewhere.

<snipped>

Mayuri (on the eastside at 156th & Northup near the Trader Joes) also makes dosas. Being also not Indian, I cannot vouch for thier authenticity per se, but they taste just like the dosas I grew up eating at Pasand in Berkeley years ago, so they fit my "Comfort Food" bill nicely. Ditto thier raita which (most nights) is thick enough and well salted the way I like it :smile:

Give them a try...

-Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I quite often scan the Seattle forum as we like to drive from Vancouver, B.C. for a meal. I thought I would just add a restaurant that is in Vancouver that you might find mind blowing.

The name is Vij's and it is owned by Vikram Vij a famous chef around these parts.

No reservations allowed, first come first served.

Food top notch every time.

Any visiting foodies always end up there at some point - Jamie Oliver, Martha Stewart :sad: etc.

Well worth the trip .

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Mayuri (on the eastside at 156th & Northup near the Trader Joes) also makes dosas.  Being also not Indian, I cannot vouch for thier authenticity per se, but they taste just like the dosas I grew up eating at Pasand in Berkeley years ago, so they fit my "Comfort Food" bill nicely.  Ditto thier raita which (most nights)  is thick enough and well salted the way I like it  :smile: 

Give them a try...

-Eden

When I lived on Merver Island we would go to Mayuri once per week but now that my family is in Edmonds, we have had troubles finding really good Indian food and have had to settle for less than great Indian cuisine. If anyone knows of good Indian in the North Seattle/Edmonds/Lynwood area....do tell!

Paul Goodman

Seattle Eats Out

When I lived on Merver Island we would go to Mayuri once per week but now that my family is in Edmonds, we have had troubles finding really good Indian food and have had to settle for less than great Indian cuisine. If anyone knows of good Indian in the North Seattle/Edmonds/Lynwood area....do tell!

We used to enjoy Sahib down on the water next to the train tracks and near the ferry dock. However, the last time we went, the quality seemed to have gone downhill and they looked like they might be under new ownership.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

on the North Seattle end, i'll put a bid in for http://seattle.citysearch.com/review/10791231/ on Roosevelt just north of 65th. there's always something interesting on their menu beyond the usual masalas and vindaloos (tamarind lamb chops come to mind) and i quite enjoyed their lunch buffet, too.

will also endorse Mayuri in Overlake, should one happen to be hunting such things on the Eastside. and i've noted some of the other Eastside candidates to try one of these days.

having been spoiled by five years living just down the road from Jackson Heights, in New York, i've been largely stymied to find a worthy regular source. but i'm always hopeful i've just overlooked the perfect place.

We used to enjoy Sahib down on the water next to the train tracks and near the ferry dock. However, the last time we went, the quality seemed to have gone downhill and they looked like they might be under new ownership.

I have been there a few times and was somewhat disappointed. I mean, i guess it fulfills my craving for Indian but i know it is not that good compared to other restaurants on the Eastside and in Seattle. They recently changed ownership within the last year like you had assumed and their menu is awfully small and shockingly enough they don't even carry many of the popular classic dishes - such as my Lamb Saag.

Paul Goodman

Seattle Eats Out

I have been there a few times and was somewhat disappointed. I mean, i guess it fulfills my craving for Indian but i know it is not that good compared to other restaurants on the Eastside and in Seattle. They recently changed ownership within the last year like you had assumed and their menu is awfully small and shockingly enough they don't even carry many of the popular classic dishes - such as my Lamb Saag.

I can understand your feelings. We used to enjoy the lamb biryani at the old place.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

I was unimpressed with annapurna the first tikeI went but it's seemd to have gotten better and the menu appears to have expaneded each time I've gone. Also, their chai reminds me the most of the chai I had in India.

-baconwhores.com

-Sarah Vowell