• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Chutney

RupenRao

I love peanut chutney goes well with idlis, dosas, plain rice. From my multitude of trials errors I've prepared an ever ready list on the tip of my mind to use here goes:

1 cup fresh roasted peanuts,

3 Red chillies freshly roasted alongside peanuts,

1 - 2 green chillies,

1 clove garlic,

1 gum ball size tamarind,

1/2 fresh coconut or 1/2 to 3/4 cup dessicated coconut,

Salt to taste.

Tadka:

1 Red chilli

mustard and urad dal whole or halved skinless

curry leaves :unsure::smile:

grind all these dry then when they are all ground to an equal size, add water in sufficient quantity to make a paste homogeneous.

Then use a little oil (1 tsp) for tadka using the ingredients listed under tadka

and let the mustard seeds to splutter :wacko:

add to chutney. :cool: Tadka gives a different taste and flavour to the chutney.

Some times to an eager admirer of peanut chutney the necessity of tadka is not so great :laugh:

I love peanut chutney goes well with idlis, dosas, plain rice. From my multitude of trials errors I've prepared an ever ready list on the tip of my mind to use here goes:

1 cup fresh roasted peanuts,

3 Red chillies freshly roasted alongside peanuts,

1 - 2 green chillies,

1 clove garlic,

1 gum ball size tamarind,

1/2 fresh coconut or 1/2 to 3/4 cup dessicated coconut,

Salt to taste.

Tadka:

1 Red chilli

mustard and urad dal whole or halved skinless

curry leaves :unsure:  :smile: 

grind all these dry then when they are all ground to an equal size, add water in sufficient  quantity to make a paste homogeneous.

Then use a little oil (1 tsp) for tadka using the ingredients listed under tadka

and let the mustard seeds to splutter :wacko:

add to chutney. :cool:  Tadka gives a different taste and flavour to the chutney.

Some times to an eager admirer of peanut chutney the necessity of tadka is not so great :laugh:

Your peanut chutney sounds divine. I cannot wait to try it

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi guys:

this is a recent recipe that I uploaded on my website for peanut chutney. I was wondering if anyone of you have any other recipe for the same.

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=70

Regards,

Rupen

Can you tell us a bit about this Rupen? What makes it special? what part of India is it from? How do you use it?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi,

Frankly, I dont know whats the origin of this recipe. I use it the idli or even as a side dish. Typical with something south indian dish.

We used to buy idlis from the *idli wallah* all the time in Mumbai. Once I asked him for the recipe for his chutney, he stopped acknowledging me since then! :unsure:

Then one day I managed to get it from him (about a few months later) :raz: I promised him that I will not share his recipe with others...oops, I did it again :rolleyes:

Rupen

I made something similar a couple of times in the last few weeks. I had a lot of cayenne peppers from my backyard and wanted to do something with them. I tossed about 20 red cayenne peppers, a big handful of peanuts, two cloves of garlic, salt, a little sugar, some water, and juice from one lime into a blender till I had a smooth paste. I was not working off a recipe and kept adding ingredients till it tasted right. Since I created it, I decided to call it Red Chile Pesto. I liked it so much that I made a green version of it this past weekend using Thai Chiles.

I do not recall ever having a peanut chutney before. I thought I invented something new till I saw these posts here about peanut chutneys.

rkolluri