• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting San Antonio

TastyShow

:huh: I'll be visiting San Antonio in a couple weeks and will be taking out-of-town clients to dinner 3 of those nights. I'm looking for a variety of experiences from casual one night to great Tex-Mex to fresh and innovative young chefs or anything else you would recommend, so I'm looking for your favorites. I'll be staying near the convention center. I've tried to research the local newspaper's reviews but many of the pages are no longer posted. What would you recommend? Price points can vary, too. Thanks for helping an out-of-towner!

My #1 suggestion in San Antonio is always Liberty Bar. It is a small, cozy place with cool atmosphere, great food, and great prices. I've taken several out-of-towners there, and they all seemed to like it. You should give it a search online, check out the info about it, and see if you like it. It has become one of my favorite places in San Antonio. Hope this helps.

Hard to imagine that anyone could say that they had the "Central Texas Experience" unless they visited one of the BBQ temples. I'm assuming you'll have a rental car, and you definitely should hop into it one fine Texas morning and make the short drive over to Luling for BBQ at City Market.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I live in the Dallas area but I did go to Liberty Bar last month and it was very good. It's in an old house that leans to the side and while you won't be sliding all over the place it is visually unnerving at first. The food is unique (not Tex-Mex!)and everything we had was done well. It is a casual place and a bit on the noisy side but I think it will work for your business needs.

For Tex-Mex and if the weather isn't too hot, the patio at La Fogata on Vance Jackson is pretty, the food good, the service is sometimes hit or miss. Went there yesterday and the service was great and the hongos flameado with flour tortillas were (as usual) my absolute favorite.

For fine dining down on the Riverwalk, Biga on the Banks is always just about perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly agree with the Biga recomendation. I did a report on several of my dinners there last April in this Forum. Also, try Acenar, on the Riverwalk, for great Mexican and Southwest influenced cuisine. If nothing else, the bar is lots of fun. I also like A.H. Burritos for Puffy Tacos, and the Pig Stand for drive-in food.

Captain Hongo

Acenar is an excellent place to eat. I highly recommend it. If you are looking for something that isn't as daring, La Fogata and Los Barrios are great. The food is a good example of how Tex Mex should be done. But if you want good Tex Mex eats for a low price, El Jarrasco has your menu. I've eaten at a couple of thier restaurants and all have been consistant in food and price. You can get a large plate of skirt steak with pickled napoles, rice and beans, salad and tortillas for $6. And it's good. Beats out La Margarita and and Mi Tierra in taste and price hands down.

Edited by spoonbread (log)