• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

As we turn towards Fall...

Really Nice!

I hear you Kevin, though we might get an early winter here in Dallas this year...

Lamb Stew!!!!

I have 6 legs in the freezer, just waiting.

Chicken and dumplings

Chili

fall veggie soups

Hell, soups of all kinds.

Stuffed cabbage

truffles

Pozole. Oh yeah that fits under soups.

Roast leg of lamb

Rockin' J Chicken

Shortbread

Cinnamon rolls

Gulash

Shiro wat

Christmas cookies

Thanksgiving pies

I know there's more.......

Slow braising: chuck, blade, osso bucco, lamb shanks and shoulders, pork curries, pork belly.

Duck. I find that I rarely do duck in the summer.

Prime rib.

Scalloped potaoes, pomme Anna etc.

Thick fish stews and mounds of colcannon or champs.

One hundred thousand things one can do with cabbage.

Caussolet.

edit:

And a wee bit of bacon.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

all the hearty recipes i have been collecting since spring to try like beef with sundried tomatoes.... and some old favorites. tomorrow since it will be rainy and getting cooler i'm making meatloaf with sundried tomato catsup, garlic mashed tomatoes and a texas squash casserole(two new recipes there - plus leftovers :biggrin: ). making meatballs and freezing them so when i need to in the next two months i can just pop a few into some tomato sauce and dinner(with pasta of course).

after 1 december... the sky's the limit for me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Meat loaf (polpetone). The thought has risen and fallen over the last weeks. Soon, soon.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It will be time to pull out Laurie Colwin and make gingerbread, eaten with bourbon and cinnamon-laced schlag. Every time I make gingerbread I wonder why I haven't baked it in so long.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It will be time to pull out Laurie Colwin and make gingerbread, eaten with bourbon and cinnamon-laced schlag.  Every time I make gingerbread I wonder why I haven't baked it in so long.

Gingerbread! How perfect. Applejacks too.

I should also start planning for my holiday baking & preserving - fruitcakes, chutneys, cookies, etc.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The weather here in upstate NY just turned into fall. Yesterday 4 inches of rain fell from hurricane Ivan and roads were very flooded when I went to Wegman's this morning. Now it's turned sunny, windy, and quite chilly. Quilt on the bed tonight!

I see many folks make onion soup in the fall. I like to make mine in the spring with vidalia onions and I put up a big patch in the freezer for the winter. Just my taste. I use Julia Child's recipe.

This season's Wegman's magazine has a lot of ideas of ways to cook various squashes which I plan to try. I love fall vegetables (except those smelly brussel sprouts!) :-)

I love to use pumpkin but our local farmstand was flooded this morning - so sad to see the field of pumpkin stems sticking up out of the water ...

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

It's 97 degrees outside but I just HAD to roast a chicken. It's covered in fresh rosemary and chopped garlic and smells heavenly.

The AC is valiently trying to keep up with the oven....

Baked, stuffed squash....especially pumpkin: stuffed with bread and gruyere in a lovely custard. I can't wait for the temps to drop to do that . It'll be late October.

Edited to add: rhubarb and apple crumbles! How could I forget those??

Edited by foodie52 (log)

It's 97 degrees outside but I just HAD to roast a chicken. It's covered in fresh rosemary and chopped garlic and smells heavenly.

The AC is valiently trying to keep up with the oven....

Baked, stuffed squash....especially pumpkin: stuffed with bread and gruyere in a lovely custard. I can't wait for the temps to drop to do that . It'll be late October.

Edited to add: rhubarb and apple crumbles! How could I forget those??

Funny, I did essentially the same thing. 7 am it was raining and pea-sized hail was falling. Seemed like a great day to bounce out of bed and put on a pot of soup. Lentil/Brown rice soup with veggies.

Not too long after the soup started simmering...the clouds broke...the sun came out...and it is about 85 degrees out!

Can't wait for fall...

Tonight was Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef in Red Wine).

From episode 96: The French Chef.

Page 271 in The French Chef Cookbook (paperback).

It was priceless. The only change I made was to sprinkle the meat with flour to make a nicer fond. I also used veal stock, duck fat, and Barnard Griffin Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

We here in the Northlands are tenuoslly clinging to summer. There were gills firing everywhere. For us, it was the last of the sweet corn, brats, dogs, the last of the finest of summer.

All too soon, this season of local bounty will end. In the meantime, we enjoy, hoping that memories of this bounty will sustain us through those cold winter months...those months of nothing fresh, nothing local, except meat.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"