• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

As we turn towards Fall...

Really Nice!

Okay, it's not even Labor Day, but Fall is coming.

I'm looking forward to making:

· French Onion Soup

· Soupe au Pistou

· Coq au Vin

· Braised Lamb Shanks

· Roasted Foie Gras

· Pot Roast

· Le Pichet Chicken

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

tarte tatin

baked squashes

squash soup

anything with potatoes (i have a lot of potatoes)

roast chicken

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Potato leek soup

Deef stew - it's not a typo, duck and beef stew

pot roast

braised anything

hot pot

shark's fin soup

ragu bolognese

prime rib

gumbo

jumbalaya

chili - cause it's football season, GO HUSKIES!!!!

You know I was all bummed out that summer is ending but now, bring on the fall! :laugh:

Rocky

This is truly the time of year to contemplate making those warming, indoor, cherished comfort foods .. as the heat of summer retreats ...

Personal favorites? thick soups (lentil with sausage, potato watercress, etc.), fruit-stuffed acorn squash halves, casseroles & cassoulets (see cholent!), creamy risottos, dumplings and stuffings, overstuffed deep-dish apple cinnamon pies, cranberry anything!

I prefer fall foods to almost any other season .. once we had a thread on which season was everyone's favorite for cooking and autumn won by a significant margin! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm with lalala:

tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin :wub:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Anything made with in season root vegetables, roast beef (I make a mean roast beef, if I do say so myself!), butternut squash soup, chili, brussel sprouts.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This is truly the time of year to contemplate making those warming, indoor, cherished comfort foods .. as the heat of summer retreats ...

***Well I'm patiently waiting for the heat of summer to retreat a little more !

I just spent about an hour watering my yard and working up a sweat out there... :angry:

Bring on Fall...I'm ready and will be cooking:

Ragu Bolognase

Bastila

Mushroom Soup

White Lasagna

Pork Roast

Something from the October issue of Bon Appetite.

Well, back to the yard...I've got tomatoes, corn, squash, green beans and MORE tomatoes waiting to be rescued from the vine :biggrin:

I'm a whore for braised meats all year round, but it only gets worse in the fall and winter.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

In order of appearance

Redfish

Big Ass Speckled Trout

White Shrimp

Doves

Squirrels

Rabbits

Quail

Teal

Ducks

Venison

Geese

Turkeys (if there is any luck and the Gods are pleased with me, anyway)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hard to think about in Northern Calif but looks like Braised anything and Soups. Crabs are coming later. Pick and press seems to be the order of the day. Taste last years and adjust. Finish the Tomatoes.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Chicken and dumplings--couldn't wait for fall, made it last night....umm, comfort food!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I'm with lalala: 

tartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatintartetatin.....

I'm guessing that you're particularly fond of your tarte tatin. Any chance you'd share with us your fave recipe?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

On KCTS last Saturday they had four hours of comfort food with recipes contributed by restaurants and viewers. One chef, I don't know who he was, made meat loaf and mashed potatoes. It looked horrible. Meatloaf was dry and he dumped the mash into a kitchen aid and whipped it. It was lumpy. (Use a potato ricer!)

Anyway, it inspired me enough to make my grandma's meatloaf to commence my autumn cooking transition. It was very good!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Well, aren't y'all a bunch of optimists. I'm feeling rather down about the passage of summer and the fact that I never ever find enough time to make all of the summer foods that I love. I guess I look forward to pomegranates and local oysters, and I did make a nice roast chicken (Marcella's) last night.

As summer turns to fall, so now, my thoughts return to making Onion Confit. Onion Confit is now the base for my French Onion Soup every time :biggrin:

Prime Rib

Stews

Pot Roasts

Red Wine Casseroles

It is however, now that my vegetable consumption starts to drastically reduce. I'm not a squash and turnip fan, and most of my favourite veggies are summer ones : beans, corn, peas....

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Prime rib of beef

Beef tenderloin with dijon & cognac sauce

mashed potatoes w/ horseradish

mushrooms saute'd with truffle oil

clam, crab, and shrimp chowder

3 burn chili

cornbread

Enchiladas

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Someone should move this thread to the Cooking forum :wink:

As I type my first stock of the fall is simmering full of early root veggies

Al_Dente's braised short ribs :wub:

Anything else I can learn to braise

Italian Wedding Soup

Roasted Chicken with root veggies

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Anything else I can learn to braise

All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking

:laugh:

It's my favorite cooking method too.

Drink!