• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for Yourself

Varmint

A big ol' pot of steamed clams or mussels. DH likes clams well enough in spaghetti with clam sauce, but doesn't like eating clams "by themselves", which I don't get because it's pretty much the same thing just without a huge batch of spaghetti mixed in. So when he's out of town, I'll often go and make a huge pot of steamed clams and eat it with big chunks of rustic bread warm from the oven, mopping up tons of the yummy sauce as I go.

Otherwise, I go for quick pastas that take little time to cook and make enough to sustain me for a few days. Carbonara with a simple salad is generally my go-to.

These days I rarely get an empty nest. When alone I go for the things my family isn't keen on. Blue cheese and Porto, weird stuff from the fish monger, offal. So I don't feel like a sad bachelor, my rules are 1. don't eat over the sink, and 2. wear pants.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I live with my autistic son, my daughter and step-daughter are grown and gone.

My son and I are Jack Sprat and his wife, i.e., I don't care for fruit and I love vegetables, he, on the other hand, eats three or even four servings of fruit everyday (I make sure of that) But I don't care for most fruit.

So, when he's away, stands to reason, I eat whole meals of nothing but vegetables. Spinach with cheese sauce, broccoli almondine, califlower cheese, tomato pita baked things, onion soup with the added addition of brussel sprouts and lima beans.

I think the whole point is that you eat what your mate/child/roommate doesn't want to eat, and with them not there, it's your chance to indulge.

---------------------------------------

I'm on my own this very night. I will go out for an entree salad with grilled chicken. It works with my South Beach diet and I really enjoy salads for dinner.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;