• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for Yourself

Varmint

Mrs. Varmint doesn't eat red meat -- i.e., any flesh that came from an animal with fur. Thus, I don't eat red meat at home very often. However, tonight, I was a bachelor as the family was on the road. So what do I cook for myself on that ultra-rare occasion when I have the house to myself???

GIANT HUNKS O' BEEF!!!

Actually, I had the classic steak house meal: a big, thick strip steak with lots of black pepper seared in an ultra-hot cast iron skillet and finished in the oven -- bloody rare steak it was. I also had a huge baked potato with butter, sour cream and fresh chives. With lots of pepper, of course. And creamed spinach, with plenty of pepper (if you haven't caught on, Mrs. V isn't a fan of pepper, either). I drank a bottle of Rioja to go with this, as I needed to offset the near full stick of butter that went into this meal.

I'll pay for it tomorrow, but damn, that was a fine, simple meal.

What do you cook for yourself when you get that rare opportunity?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

With a husband who travels often, I am in the same boat. What to cook when alone?

Being a fan of red meat myself, yes, I will often sear a steak in a cast iron pan. I seldom have anything else to go with it. Although, in the summer, when fresh green or yellow beans are available, I''ll cook those up to go with my steak.. Usually in a butter/almondine sauce.

If I'm feeling really decadent, I'll cook myself up a batch of spareribs and saurkraut, as it's not a spouse favourite, but I love it.

AndBTW, I adore pepper. :wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It's not what I cook when HE's away. It's what don't I cook. He hates the following things that I love: deviled eggs; chicken livers in just about any form; raw tomatoes - so a tomato and sweet onion salad is always on the menu when he's gone during late summer; anything with mayo; anything with obscene amounts of garlic; chocolate deserts; french onion soup; fondue. Yes it's true. He hates these things. Oh, and add cold soups to the tally. And there's still more I've mercifully forgotten presently.

There are days I consider murdering him in his sleep. But then... well, you know.

Get the honey Junior.

I agree with the fact that when I'm alone I don't, most of the times, really feel like cooking so I usually turn to quick dishes, especially pastas I can't make when my wife's at home.

My no.1 choice? Carbonara! My wife doesn't like the almost-raw egg taste so in those very rare occasions she's away I use the chance. Usually I make enough for two-three people and wipe it off without problems.

Otherwise pasta with garlic and chili loaded sauce. Last time I was alone I tried a recipe mentioned in a book from Andrea Camilleri, a best selling author in Italy, called "i perciati ch'abbrusciano" or the perciati (a kind of long hollow pasta) that burn. The burning part is easily explained. The sauce (for one person) is made up of: oil, onion, two garlic cloves, two anchovies, a teaspoon of capers, black olives, a chili pepper, tomato, basil, black pepper and grated pecorino. Salty, hot, delicious :smile: !

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Yes, I'm in the camp of folks (I know there are more of us, as I've had similar conversations with friends) who cook a lot less when left home alone. My husband will be away on business next week, and I'm sure one or two dinners will consist of a nice bowl of muesli and some fruit. :wub:

That having been said, after reading the above posts, I might have to splurge on a small piece of red meat. I don't usually eat it, and my husband is veg, so it might be a nice treat.

or perhaps some shrimp, if I can find them over here.

I find that my solo cooking sessions tend to be bizarre experiments. I'm less likely to try something completely different when I'm cooking for anyone else.

*edit* to correct some icon madness

Edited by cakewench (log)

GIANT HUNKS O' BEEF!!!

Actually, I had the classic steak house meal: a big, thick strip steak with lots of black pepper seared in an ultra-hot cast iron skillet and finished in the oven -- bloody rare steak it was. 

That is precisely what I eat if I am here alone .. and for pretty much the same reasons ... rarer is better, but I am the only one who thinks this ... and, yes as well, to Varmint's huge baked potato! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

GIANT HUNKS O' BEEF!!!

Being single, I've mastered the art of cooking for one, but I have to admit I do cook steaks a lot, and thanks to eGullet, I have also mastered roasting stuff in the oven, and to go with my steaks, my faves are(especially when I sear the steak on the stove with my 80 year old iron skillet, then pop it in the oven a bit):

roasted cauliflower(olive oil, salt & pepper-sometimes achiote powder)

roasted carrots (these rock!-olive oil, cumin, salt...)

roasted potatoes(old standby-with olive oil or butter & rosemary)

roasted brocolli(butter, lemon pepper)

Frank in Austin

I usually gravitate toward egg dishes while alone, as I am this weekend. One of my favorites is a Spanish Tortillia, although just plain old scrambled eggs and toast usually makes an appearance as well.

Stop Family Violence

Stuff like liver, definitely. Also figs with yogurt cheese and a walnut inside...squishy tomato sandwiches...Trouble is, my son1 has inherited my tastes. I really *hate it* when I leave lunch till I've got just a bit more work done, and then he gets home from school unexpectedly early - just as I'm turning off the gas in happy anticipation... :angry:

My spouse does not eat beef, so Sunday nights when he always has rehearsal I usually make either a steak (flat iron or a NY strip, purchased at the Sunday farm market) or burgers. I can't eat it all, so I have the rest the next night...sliced on a salad for a steak, or warmed just enough to avoid overcooking in the microwave for a burger. Mmm, beef.

Being unmarried, single, broken, etc., etc., I do things like pork braises, roast chicken (which smokes up my apartment :biggrin: ) enchiladas, stir fry, lo mein, cereal...

and I wash it down with milk, water, beer, or wine... and occasionally coffee :wub:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

On the rare occasions that Blovie is travelling, I use it as an excuse to eat out at all the restaurants I want to hit (usually with friends). After 9 nine years of being married and having a nightly dining companion, I find it depressing to cook for myself.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Red Meat, Martinis and Grilled cheese for everything else. Veg is Heirloom tomatos.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I'm all alone today, just me and the dog

for breakfast I had sandwich on a croissant (bought them yesterday)

for lunch had day old tuna salad with crackers washed it down with glass (or 2) of wine.

for dinner opened a box of halloween asst'd chocolates (let's just say there's a pile of wrappers beside me) and washed it down with A&W root beer. don't you love this time of year for halloween candies. yum

This is my celebration day actually, because my spouce retires tomorrow. I may never be alone again. My husband's job took him out of town three times a week overnight. I actually enjoyed those days. Heavy sigh!!!

If there's nobody to cook dinner for, I'll head to the bar for a Guinness and a sandwich, hold the sandwich. As much as I enjoy cooking for others, I have almost no interest in cooking for myself. If there ain't no audience, there ain't no show.

What song is that from, anyway? Google just failed me.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I've gotta say, it's HATE-LOVE-HATE, when I have to eat alone at home.

Hate that he's away even for one night.

Love that I can eat anything I want, wherever in the house I want, however I want. I can break out that blue box of mac & cheese, or grill a steak or hamburger, make some ramen, bake up a tuna casserole, open up a can of Hormel tamales, have some of that Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey calling out to me from the freezer, or even order something from Pizza Hut. Anything that reminds me of home (I'm really feeling homesick these days.)

Hate that I've done one or all of the above.

Tonight's one of those nights.

:angry::wub::huh:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Living by myself and dining alone 5 nights a week. Dinners usually look something like... chili + rice, stewed beef + bread, grilled whole fish + rice, veal shank + rice, lamb shank + potatoe, veal/beef fettine + rice and of course pasta/gnocchi... 90% of the time. These have become my favourites because most of them are single pot dishes and can be stretched out to last more than 3 days. All are usually served with the weekly vegetable; best looking in season vegetable at the market.

I should add the caveat that my Caloric brand stove is so much of a pile of crap that I can't even cook pasta for 2 on it when I have company. The unfortunate end result is that cooking--my favorite pasttime--has been a damned frustrating chore for the past 6 months. So, I don't cook like I used to.

Jason, can we get a :despise: smiley to contrast with :wub: so I can appropriately vent my spleen about my POS stove? Yet another reason to switch apartments.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My family happens to be two children who seem to require feeding on a two hour schedule yet who do not become overweight so I can not use any excuse not to keep feeding them. It can be sort of wearing, sometimes, though certainly a pleasure I would not give up for anything! :wink:

So when they are away...for the most part, aside from some excursions into cooking things only I like to eat which end up being enough for twenty people somehow and then have to be eaten endlessly into the future...I'm with bloviatrix...eat out!

It's a good opportunity to sit in a restaurant and not worry whether they have anything the kids will like or whether the drink will be spilled...and a chance to actually eat quietly without the constant required spouting of Mom-stuff such as 'your elbow is in the sauce'; 'barbecue sauce does not belong in your hair'; 'I don't care who started kicking who first both of you stop it or you'll both be in for a bigger kick from me'....you know, the general relaxation of a family meal....

:wacko::laugh:

Being vegetarian living with a partner who doesnt like the best veggies - mushrooms, eggplants and olives, I cook everything I can improvise using these, preferably in one pot and less then 30 minutes...

Edited by Ofer (log)