• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

montclair adult school events

pnapoli

i thought this sounded pretty cool:

Game Meats at Orbis ... $100 

One Monday, December 6, 7:30-9:30pm, at Orbis Restaurant, 128 Watchung Avenue, Montclair

Join the owner/chef and a guest speaker for a meaty evening. Watch the preparation of Canadian wild boar, American buffalo, and Scottish grouse as well as other truly wild-game meats. Dine on these flavorful dishes as an expert talks about the distinctive flavor and origins of each meat.

Nancy Caballes, owner/chef, Orbis Restaurant.

George Faison, co-owner, D’Artagnan, game meat purveyors.

also thought some might be interested in this:

Amanda Hesser on Food and Entertaining New York Style ... $15 

One Monday, November 1, 7:30-9pm, at Montclair High School

Do you rush out to the newest restaurant? Create fabulous food in your own kitchen? Get passionate about good food? Just enjoy eating? Here is an opportunity for food lovers to get a behnd-the-scenes look at the work of a food writer. Amanda Hesser, trained cook, author, and New York Times food editor, will share her experiences and adventures with food and reporting. Discover what is expected of a food critic, how she uncovers dining trends, and brings us the latest cooking techniques.

Amanda Hesser, Food Editor at The New York Times Magazine; editor of The Times’ 'T: Living' magazine, which debuts November 7; author of The Cook and the Gardener and Cooking for Mr. Latte, both of which won the International Association of Culinary Professionals' Literary Food Writing award.

full Food & Wine course schedule is here

• 1 month later...

Anybody else going to see Hesser on Monday night?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Was supposed to attend Hesser appearance, but she got stuck in traffic

and never made it. It's been rescheduled for Mon., 11/15 in case anyone

was interested and couldn't make the original date. I assume they're

accepting new registrations for that evening.

I knew I couldn't have been the ONLY eG member there on Monday! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

So did Amanda Hesser already appear? Can't tell from posts and can't find the listing in the adultschool website. It may be that I'm very tired today...

If she did, how was it?

Am interested in that champagne tasting at Orbis restaurant? What's Orbis restaurant like? Thoughts?

thanks. :biggrin:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

She didn't make it on Monday due to major traffic (and communication) issues; they told us at about 7:45pm that they had just spoken with her and she was still sitting in NYC traffic after 1 1/2 hours. The lecture has been rescheduled for Monday Nov. 15th at 7:30pm. According to the letter I received at home, they're issuing refunds to those who can't make the new date, so I'm guessing that they'll also accept new registrations. The main number is 973-746-6637. Hope that helps!

Curlz