• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When concession food sucks

Ellen Shapiro

It's a fruit that has an odor a bit reminiscent of unwashed feet. Very popular (and considered a delicacy) in Asia. I like them; most people don't.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There's also a Chinese wine-type beverage that has a similar aroma. I like it too. As for unwashed feet, it depends whose.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think its wrong to bring food on an airplane.  I routinely bring Goldfish crackers because the bag is so small I have no trouble fitting it into my carry-on or purse.  And it's nice to know I have a snack for my kids or myself.  Imagine if the flight was delayed for an extended period of time after the passengers have boarded!  They are kind of my insurance, and pretty discreet at that.  

One of the last flights I was on I noticed a couple of teenagers brought in a bag of Burger King hamburgers.  Even though they're not a favorite of mine they made my stomach growl and everyone around them seemed to be licking their lips in envy.  The flight attendandts didn't seem to mind at all.

Denise :D

The only movie theater I would not bring food or beverages into is the Angelika

Just out of curiosity, why?  Just because they show independent films?  They're owned by one of the big chains (Loews or Sony) and were one of the first to raise their admission to $10.  The place I worked at was solicited by them to advertise and was told that in the near future there would be on screen advertising.  Don't get me wrong, the Angelika is one of my favorite theaters, but they're far from independent any longer.  Tip --- the prices for drinks are cheaper downstairs than in the cafe upstairs.

Personal fave = chocolate chip cookies.  

[in general, I always make sure to get an extra soda, one to spill on the seat in front of me so no one sits there.]

[in general, I always make sure to get an extra soda, one to spill on the seat in front of me so no one sits there.]

Now why didn't I think of that?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Glenn--fair question, but for me it has nothing to do with ownership, independence or artsy films.  I buy books from Amazon.com, rent DVD's from Blockbuster--and also willingly pay full price for books at local independent or specialized bookstores.  

The reason I have a different attitude about the Angelika is that it's the only theater I've been to that made a serious effort to provide more than mundane pretzels, hot dogs, popcorn, candy and soda. When I lived in SoHo I can't tell you the number of times I would get to the Angelika early, just to mill around with a real iced tea with lemon wedge, an espresso, a good nosh of a bagel or sandwich or whatever and peoplewatch on the steps out front. It was just one of those special things that makes you feel glad you are where you are.  I'm sure all could be had better, though not necessarily cheaper, elsewhere.  I wanted to reward the attempt, the effort and would do the same at my local megaplexes if ever given the chance, which is unlikely.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve Klc,

Putting food aside for just a microsecond (gasp), I'm curious if the Uptown Theater in D.C. is still operating.

It's still there. It was renovated a few years ago. The last movie I saw there was Harry Potter...if I want to see something I check if it's playing there before I check anyplace else. Sadly, Uptown Scoop, my old resource for post-Uptown movie snackies, is closed as the strip it was on is being Gappified by Federal Realtors. Wah. I wish Ann Amernick's bakery was open later in the evening, I'd gladly stop by there and sneak some caramels into evening Uptown showings if their hours were more accommodating.

It's a fruit that has an odor a bit reminiscent of unwashed feet.

I have to say Durian left me disappointed.  I got past the smell okay, but I found the pulp soapy and disagreeable.  I have also eaten Durian puree from a hotel buffet in Malaysia.  Not much better.  It's not inedible - I just can't really see the point to it.

The reason I have a different attitude about the Angelika is that it's the only theater I've been to that made a serious effort to provide more than mundane pretzels, hot dogs, popcorn, candy and soda...  I wanted to reward the attempt, the effort and would do the same at my local megaplexes if ever given the chance, which is unlikely.

Steve, have you been to Cinema Arts Theatre in Fairfax?  I don't know how close it is to you, but I think you'd be pleased with the concession offerings.  There's a partial listing on the theatre's website:

link to Cinema Arts Theatre site

They also happen to show a good selection of independent flicks, some of which I haven't seen offered in DC.  It's a good alternative to the Shirlington cinemas if you don't want to go into the city.  Cinema Arts definitely wins on concessions, but Shirlington has the Carlyle Grand Cafe for a pre- or post-movie meal (a personal fave of mine, as are the other members of the Great American Restaurants chain in the area).

Cinema Arts is next to a Trader Joe's, so you can always go there afterwards and pick up provisions for a feast at home.  For me, it helps counteract the strip-mall ambience.  (Now if there were only a TJ's near every multiplex so good-quality snacks could be procured in advance, we'd all be set!)

Erin

Erin

Wilfrid, you probably had crummy durian. You've got to get it in season and you've got to have the help of a durian connoisseur when selecting your fruit. It's like caviar, not sex. That is to say, if it's not great, it's lousy (caviar); rather than if it's not great, it's still pretty good (sex; also bacon).

Crummy durian, brittle kitchen knives.  My luck, eh?  :raz:

It was certainly in season, as I was in a market in Singapore where you couldn't move for the things.  Maybe I didn't get the best though.

Happily, I can spend the rest of the afternoon allocating things to the "like caviar" catgeory and the "like sex/bacon" category.   I think poems come under "like caviar".  Beer, however, comes under "like sex/bacon".

Nah, there's worthless bacon. If it's not good, it's not good. And when it's great, it's great. But I've had slimy bacon, shattered bacon. Worthless. And I've had bacon that transcends "great".

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

My implied point, Wilfrid.

You all are obviously a bunch of frigid bacon-haters.

(With my luck, this will be the post some journalist decides to quote in a news article about eGullet: "Shaw wears a fedora, and calls eGullet users 'a bunch of frigid bacon-haters.'")

• 1 year later...

I can forsake most of the concession food because I won't pay the prices. I do have one weakness tho-hot fresh buttery caramel corn! I have been known to pay outrageous prices for a small bag ($5.50). Usually I bring a banana and cashews or crackers and cheese from home and spring for just a small cherry cola or cappuccino.

I used to sneak in bags of real buttered freshly-popped popcorn.

I had a boyfriend who could spend $20 on junk food (stale bulk candy, stale popcorn lubed with imitation butter-flavored recycled motor oil, and vats of watered down soda) at the movies just for himself, most of which ended up uneaten and thrown away. I had trouble identifying with that concept, especially because we really couldn't afford to throw away that much money.

I did used to patronize a theater/restaurant (since closed) where the food was really bad, and it was impossible to complain unless you were willing to miss parts of the movie while you were looking for someone to bitch at. We gave up on the food, but I miss having glasses of real beer to drink while watching a flick out.

Before they sold kosher food at Yankee Stadium, I used to bring in my own food all the time. I still remember stocking up on deli sandwiches before heading up to the stadium for a double header. Once, on a 90 + degree day, I brought in with me a gallon container of frozen water so I would have cool drinks through out the day - no one said a thing and I kept myself happily hydrated. On occasion, I will still bring a bag of peanuts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs