• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

phaelon56

The Pecan Pie Topic

Okay, it is FINALLY in the oven.

I settled on a hybrid recipe based on the brown butter one on pg 1 of this thread.

but since I was concerned my brown sugar was a bit hard and dry and couldn't get together 2 cups to pack, I added some Lyles (maybe 2oz)) and a bit more tha a TB of molasses.

Well the brown sugar melted well although a good deal of the butter stayed separate , I tempered the eggs using that butter,and they combined smoothly.

As someone suggested I used a combo of vanilla AND bourbon. :wink:

In the meantime I ruined one Dufour's pate brisse crust- It shrank and the bottom made a disk while the sides came apart as a cylinder. :shock: I followed their directions to the letter and it came out very shrunken and uneven....so - I decided to do a shorter (6 minutes) par bake on my extra crust and at first when i took it out, it started to stick to the top layer of pie pan (they come sandwiched between two foil pans which you keep on it to parbake) Then I realized the crust is 8" and the recipe- and the pie crust shield I have are for 9" pies.

So I eyeballed it, filled it to within 3/8- 1/2" of the edge of the pie pan, and used a safety pin to shorten the silicone shield Whew! And I'm guessing 1/2 hour in stead of 40 min now....

Now I'm going to use the discarded bits of crust #1 layered with leftover filling and nuts and make a few in pyrex ramekins. I will mix in a few walnuts as someone else upthread suggested, and see how that goes. I figure, I have to do something with this filling.

My first pie should be out of the oven in about 15 minutes, and it's smelling very good already!

I will try and get some pics to post for you all.

Thanks so much for all the ideas!

Edited by butterscotch (log)

Mine is just cooling now, but I believe I can answer you this- I parbaked just 6-7 minutes- just enough to dry out the dough, not give it any color, and it's burnt after just a half hour. I think this filling gets super extra hot, maybe it's the sugar in the crust too?

The pie itself looks great, and I was thinking, like you, and the directions from Dufours that I could parbake just a little bit, , but this crust is burnt. Burnt butter crust and burnt butter pecan pie. At least it's thematic. :shrug:

For those who have tried making this pie: Any reason not to use a pie crust that has been partially baked before filling? I almost never make a pie that doesn't have the crust at least partially blind baked before filling. I assume that would be fine here, but thought I'd inquire of those who have already baked this pie.

And pecan season is upon us once again! Got to start it off right, and that means pecan pie... this week I used the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Pie and Pastry Bible. Her secrets, as mentioned above, are using Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup, and using unrefined brown sugar (I used a dark Muscavado) in place of regular brown sugar. I amuse myself by arranging the pecans in concentric circles on the crust (the Cook's Illustrated Vodka Crust, in this case):

gallery_56799_5925_3374.jpg

The other reason I like this recipe is the ratio of pecans to filling is high because it's really more of a tart than a pie. Here's what's left by the time I remembered to take a photo:

gallery_56799_5925_29624.jpg

Jaymes   

Here's mine:

Southern Bourbon-Pecan Pie

Put 1T of molasses and/or 2T of maple syrup into measuring cup

Add dark Karo Syrup (or Blue Ribbon Cane) to make 1 Cup

1/2 C white sugar

1/2 C dark brown sugar

1/3 C melted butter

3 T bourbon (or 2 t vanilla if you don't like bourbon)

4 eggs, beaten until mixed but not frothy

1 1/2 C pecan pieces

Combine syrups and sugars and mix well. Add butter and bourbon. Stir in eggs and combine well.

In bottom of pie shell scatter pecan pieces. Pour pie filling over. Bake 350º for 35-45 minutes. Pie is done when center no longer ripples in middle when moved. Cool well before serving.

This makes enough for a big pie (10"). If I haven't made a shell that large, I just pour the leftover filling into a smaller pan and bake one sans crust.

Pecan Pie season is almost upon us once again.

I was asked for my recipe. Here it is.

And, I'm wondering if anyone has tried a chocolate pecan pie?

I love chocolate and I love pecans and I'm wondering how they would do together in a pie.

• Like 1

rotuts   

I make a very similar Pecan pie. I use Rum. re: chocolate: I sometimes add semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Jaymes   

I make a very similar Pecan pie. I use Rum. re: chocolate: I sometimes add semi-sweet chocolate chips.

How many? And when?

And do you make any other adjustments in the ingredients?

rotuts   

about 1/2 cup. in the 'mix' no other adjustment. just make sure the total volume does not exceed the volume of the pie shell.

the chocolate chips melt.

I've never had an authentic American pecan pie, so I'm not sure exactly what's expected, but I can say that I made this last year and it was very very tasty. From memory I didn't include the chocolate chunks, but they would have been a welcome addition.

(it's also corn-syrup-free which wasn't a concern for me but could be handy for folks avoiding it :))

http://www.chefeddy.com/2012/11/port-chocolate-pecan-tart/

rotuts   

The chocolate addition, as tasty as that is might detract from the Pure Pecan Ness of the pie.

Try the Pure from high end carefully toasted pecans ( fresh Pecans Please @! ) first.

there are so many pies from this start ..............

Jaymes   

The chocolate addition, as tasty as that is might detract from the Pure Pecan Ness of the pie.

Try the Pure from high end carefully toasted pecans ( fresh Pecans Please @! ) first.

there are so many pies from this start ..............

Right. A chocolate-pecan pie isn't really the place to start. I'm considering trying a chocolate-pecan pie this year, in addition to the regular pecan pie, and as a variation - a change of pace.

But it just ain't a celebration in the South without a Traditional Pecan Pie.

I've never had an authentic American pecan pie, so I'm not sure exactly what's expected, but I can say that I made this last year and it was very very tasty. From memory I didn't include the chocolate chunks, but they would have been a welcome addition.

(it's also corn-syrup-free which wasn't a concern for me but could be handy for folks avoiding it :))

http://www.chefeddy.com/2012/11/port-chocolate-pecan-tart/

Regarding the "corn-syrup-free" thing...

Pecan pies traditionally call for regular ol' corn syrup; NOT the high-fructose corn syrup (a commercial product) that is the current bugaboo. In fact, I find it very odd that the recipe to which you linked, although clearly aimed at the home cook, mentions leaving out "high-fructose corn syrup," which, I personally, have never seen a home cook use. And I cannot imagine a recipe for a homemade pecan pie that would call for 1 cup high-fructose corn syrup. That makes me suspicious that (in this one instance, anyway) Eddy didn't know what he was talking about.

And, although I think Blue Ribbon or Steen's Cane Syrup is preferable, it's still all sugar.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Quesmoy   

I am wanting to make a honey pecan pie, and I have found a view different recipes. They all seem very similar, but some call for cooking the honey before adding the eggs and other ingredients and others just use the honey with no cooking. Does anyone know which would be better? Also, I was interested in adding the cranberries, as mentioned previously on this thread, and was wondering what would be a good ratio of Pecans to cranberries?

Hey Jeannecake , great to know about your personal favorite recipe and yeah i had tried this recipe by your's method and really it works very well for me. Keep on sharing some others also.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Plum tart with almonds

Starting from the first half of August, in the shops and on stands appear the first domestic plums. In September there are so many of them that I have a problem deciding which kind I should choose. Small and big, round and more ovate, violet, red and yellow. You can eat them fresh or make a lot of preserves (jams, plum stew, stewed fruits, pickles, liqueurs, plum brandy). Our favorite are big and round greengage plums, or slightly firm violet plums.

Plums have a lot of valuable attributes. They regulate digestion and protect us from free radicals. Dried plums are more valuable regarding vitamin and fiber content, but they have five times more calories than fresh fruits.

Plums have quite a lot B vitamins, so for a long time they have been well regarded for having a soothing effect on the nervous system and improving our frame of mind. That's why you simply have to make a plum cake. Either now or when the dreary autumn days arrive. Their benign impact on the nerves could be a good excuse for putting another piece of cake on your plate.

I don't like complicated cookery. In this recipe you will find a lot of ingredients, but even so, preparing this delicious cake is very simple.

Ingredients:
      Dough:
      250g of flour
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      8g of vanilla sugar
      3 tablespoons of sugar
      150ml of 18% cream
      150g of butter
      Filling:
      600g of plums
      1 egg white
      3 tablespoons of minced almonds
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      200g of plum stew
      1 teaspoon of cinnamon
      Crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      3-4 tablespoons of flour
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      8g of vanilla sugar
      1 egg yolk
      Mix together the dry ingredients for the dough: flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add cream. Mince the butter and add it to the dry ingredients. Quickly knead into smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for half an hour.

Heat the oven up to 200C. Cover a baking pan (e.g. for a tart) with the dough, leaving the edges slightly raised around the sides. Whisk the egg white and cover the dough with it. Sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Bake for 14 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Don't turn off the oven.

Make the crumble topping when the dough is in the oven. Melt the butter, cool it a bit then add the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolk. Mix it with a fork until you have lumps.

Clean the plums, cut them into halves and remove the stones. Cover the baked base with plum stew, add the plums and sprinkle with cinnamon and the crumble topping. Bake for 20 minutes.

• By Kasia
      Pineapple and coconut – the ideal couple

Today, inspired by the recipes from the book "Zielone koktajle. 365 przepisów" ("Green cocktails. 365 recipes") I prepared a light coconut-pineapple dessert. You may make it without sugar if you have enough sweet fruit. If your pineapple isn't very ripe, add a bit of honey to your dessert.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      fruit mousse
      1 pineapple
      300ml of coconut milk
      1 banana
      150ml of orange juice
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      decoration
      50g of butter
      1 tablespoon of caster sugar
      4 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
      4 slices of orange
      fruit

Blend all the ingredients of the fruit mousse. Put it into some glasses and leave in the fridge. Put the desiccated coconut, sugar and butter into a pan. Fry constantly, stirring on a low heat until the butter is melted. Leave to cool down a bit. Put 2-3 tablespoons of it on top of the desserts. Decorate with a slice of orange, fruit and some peppermint leaves before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Smile of the summer – apricot-peach shortcake

Fortunately, the summer is not only about the weather. There is also fresh, sweet-smelling fruit. Today I would like to share with you the recipe for an easy to make weekend cake. It is excellent for afternoon tea or coffee. A little work and a little baking and after that you may serve and eat, and serve and eat again and again ... I remind you that it should be a weekend cake, so if you eat everything at once, you will need to bake another one 

Ingredients:
      dough
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      75g of sugar
      1 egg
      1 egg yolk
      1 teaspoon of baking powder

fruit:
      1kg of apricot
      4 peaches
      2 packets of powdered vanilla blancmange
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and butter onto a baking board. Chop it all up with a knife. When you have the consistency of crumble topping, add the egg and egg yolk and then knead the dough quickly. Divide the dough into two parts – 2/3 and 1/3. Cover the pieces of dough with plastic wrap and put them into the freezer.
      Wash the apricots, remove the stones and cube them. Put them into a saucepan, add a bit of water and boil until they are soft. Stir the blancmange powder in 150ml of cold water and add it to the apricots. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Turn off the heat. Wash the peaches, remove the stones and cube them. Add them to the apricots and mix them in.
      Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Smooth a 23-cm cake tin with some butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Grate the bigger part of the dough onto the cake tin, even it out and bake for 15-17 minutes. Take out the cake, but don't turn off the oven. Put the fruit mixture onto it and grate the rest of the dough onto the top. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By Kasia
      White chocolate whip with aquafaba with crumble topping and fruit.

Today I would like to share with you a dessert fit for a king. It needs a bit of work, but it is easy, and so tasty that you won't regret the time you spent on it. I have already made chocolate whip with aquafaba. Today I added a bit of whisked sweet cream, due to which it is more creamy but it isn't suitable for vegetarians.

You may use any fruit. In my opinion, bilberries, blueberries or raspberries are best. Cherries would also be excellent, but you may use your favourite fruit.

Ingredients:
      crumble topping:
      50g of butter
      50g of flour
      50g of sugar
      1 tablespoon of sesame seeds

whip:
      200ml of aquafaba (from one tin of chickpeas)
      150g of white chocolate
      150ml of 30% sweet cream
      30g of caster sugar
      other ingredients
      fruit
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking sheet with baking paper.
      Make the crumble topping. Make a smooth dough with the ingredients. Make a ball with it, roll it out flat and put it on the baking paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes until it is golden. Cool it down and crumble it.
      Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and leave it to cool down a little. Whip the aquafaba and sweet cream with caster sugar in a separate bowl. Mix them together. Add the white chocolate and stir thoroughly but gently. Put the chocolate whip into some small bowls and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
      Put the crumble topping onto the chocolate whip. Decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

Enjoy your meal!