• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2002 M. Cosentino Zinfandel “Cigar Zin” Lodi

Jean Brislance

2002 M. Cosentino Zinfandel “Cigar Zin” Lodi - Really dark in color, almost a blackish red. Nose shows a jammy berry medley of crushed raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries, with some vanilla and black pepper. Flavors are bright, juicy, and fruit-forward, and they very much mimic the nose. A total fruit-bomb. Very smooth in texture, with light tannins, and not a lot of structure. On the finish, there is a lingering sweetness that is kind of off-putting. It kind of reminds me of the Rancho Zabaco "Dancing Bull" in a sense. It is probably a good wine to serve to a crowd at a party, but it is not very satisfying to the wine geek.

All the best,

Jean

I find their wines are designed to impress the newly rich. I remember when they started the "nicknaming" of their wines back in the late 80's. I really wanted to hate them, but I visited their tasting room in 91 and was quite impressed by some of their take no prisoner wines. Would i spend my money on the stuff......don't think so.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/