• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pot de Creme

aidensnd2

Rachel Ray's version ..

please excuse me if this is ignorant, but isn't that mousse? (i thought pots de creme indicated a bain-marie baked custard, but would love to learn more.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Rachel Ray's version ..

please excuse me if this is ignorant, but isn't that mousse? (i thought pots de creme indicated a bain-marie baked custard, but would love to learn more.)

Yes, it is more of a mousse but the request was for no-bake specifically ... sooooo :rolleyes: that is what I remembered ...

and Marie will have to take a shower rather than a bain ... no heat ... cold shower?? :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Here's a bit of a different spin... can't remember whence it came, I think maybe a Jr. League book years ago... Anyway, I have served it at work to great acclaim, either on it's own, or paired/trio-ed with other elements.

Pots de Crème Leopold

FIRST LAYER

2 Lb Ricotta Cheese

1/2 C Sugar

6 Tbsp Orange Liqueur

4 Tbsp Heavy Cream

4 Oz Semisweet Chocolate, chopped

SECOND LAYER

12 Oz Semisweet Chocolate, chopped

2 1/2 C Light Cream

4 Egg Yolks

Dash Of Salt

Toasted Almonds/orange segments for garnish

FOR THE FIRST LAYER:

In a bowl combine well ricotta cheese, sugar, liqueur, heavy cream, and

chocolate. Fill 24 small ramekins half full.

FOR THE SECOND LAYER:

In a very saucepan combine chocolate pieces and light cream. Stir over

low heat until blended satin smooth. Mixture should be fairly thick,

but keep it from boiling. Beat egg yolks and a dash of salt until

thick. Gradually stir the chocolate mixture into the eggs. Spoon on

top of the ricotta mixture. Chill at least 4 hours. Garnish with oranges or

toasted almonds.

Note: sometimes I add Gran Marnier to the choc in the 2nd layer as well, sometimes I omit the choc from the ricotta layer and just make it orange flavored (and the effect is black/white layers). Also I have done this with Amaretto instead of orange, for a more subtle taste, along with other almond based elements on the plate. Both orange and almond complement the ricotta.

Serves 24

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Believe me when I say that I don't wish to spoil anyone's fun. But, I must agree w/ Chezmarie, above, who calmly questioned the notion that Pots de Crème might be mousses. Naturally, a Pot de Crème is analagous to Crème Brûlée, in that they are both oven-cooked (bain-marie) custards, the main differences being that the former are baked w/ lids and the latter version is caramelized after being cooled.

Crème Brûlées are somewhat less rich: For example, to serve 6 to 8 you'd need 4 cups heavy cream, 10 egg yolks, ½ cup granulated sugar; compared w/ 4 cups heavy cream, 10 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, and vanilla for the Pots de Crème.

Custard connoiseurs have no reason to complain, though, as these dishes are among the world's most satisfying desserts. I'll eat any good custardy dessert, regardless of the name or authenticity!

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Redsugar, I strongly disagree, both creme brulee and pot de creme are custards. They can BOTH be made in the oven or on the stovetop. I have been making stovetop creme brulee since 1984- when Wolfgang Puck showed me how.

If you read Harold McGee, he explains why a sirred custard is creamier then a baked custard. It is about the protein bands. A stovetop custard you are more in control of , so all will be consistant. You can also place fresh fruit on the bottom (instead of having it cooked).

If you are looking for the easiest no-bake "crème au chocolat", you could try this recipe which comes from the french TV series "Bon Appétit bien sûr" hosted by Chef Joël Robuchon. It is not a custard.

For 3 ramequins (125 ml each) :

80 g bittersweet chocolate in big chuncks

250 ml crème fleurette (whipping cream - 30 % fat)

Heat the cream until it boils then remove from the stove. Add the chocolate and let melt a few minutes. Stir with a spatula and then whisk until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Put the chocolate cream in the ramequins while still hot. Cover each ramequin with foil and let cool in the fridge overnight. Serve very cold covered with grated chocolate.

It is so easy and so good !

KarenS: I do not think that I mis-stated my opinion in the original post: Pots de crème and Crème Brûlées ARE custards. I would not maintain otherwise. Also, I fully agree w/ you that custards can be prepared stovetop. The point I wished to present was that there simply exists a distinct similarity between the two desserts. I have made stirred stove-top custards and they are, as you astutely noted, even smoother than baked versions. (Using arrowroot or cornstarch can enhance smoothness because these flours help to prevent curdling if the heat gets too intense.) For the ultimate in smoothness, the custards ought to be cooked, while strirring, in the top of a double-boiler pan just until the mixture is thickened. No more! Then cool the custard over iced water.

Thank you for the reference to Howard McGee’s text. In his discussion, he goes on to note some of the standard keypoints (which are technically relevant to the stirred variety) for achieving properly baked custard: “Use a low temperature, never neglect to use the water bath, which slows the transmission of oven to egg, remove the custard as soon as possible after setting, and bring its temperature down in a cold water bath (like scrambled eggs, a custard will continue to cook w/ the heat it retains).” [On Food & Cooking, p. 71]

Additionally, I pull off the chalazae – those little membranous strips in the whites – otherwise there’s a risk that they’ll harden during cooking. And I always pour the custard mixture twice (before cooking) through a seive in order to ensure maximized smoothness.

I have made Crème Brûlée on the stovetop and used the custard to fill small cakes – e.g., individual-sized coconut-angel cakes, served w/ warm rum-flavoured fruit compote. Yet, the cook must note that there is a change necessitated in the formula; for instance, a version based on 12-fl.oz. of milk may require 9 egg yolks -- that is, if an additional thickener isn't used.

Let's also mention another simple but perfect pleasure -- Coeurs à la Crème. A white-chocolate version is a delicate, melt-in-the-mouth confection. And, naturally, no cooking required whatsoever!

Regards,

Lawrence

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I guess I'm not sure why you would want a no bake recipe for this?

I'm just trying to lessen the ways that they could get screwed up in the restaurant. Let's just say that the people who will be making them aren't the most astute people in terms of baking. Also a no bake version will eliminate the struggle of trying to get oven time...

Thanks

I'm just trying to lessen the ways that they could get screwed up in the restaurant. Let's just say that the people who will be making them aren't the most astute people in terms of baking.  Also a no bake version will eliminate the struggle of trying to get oven time...

Which is exactly why I added the recipe (that I posted above) to my restaurant menu! :laugh:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I'm just trying to lessen the ways that they could get screwed up in the restaurant. Let's just say that the people who will be making them aren't the most astute people in terms of baking.  Also a no bake version will eliminate the struggle of trying to get oven time...

Thanks

O.k. now I follow. I'd develop a list/book of desserts that are easy to make, which don't involve baking or they have limited baking so anyone can make them. I'd be happy to help you work on that list on thread here if your interested?

I'd suggest making a stovetop creme brulee or a (pot stirred) chocolate puddiing/pastry cream..........and call that my pots de creme (but only if I'm serving them in individual pots or containers). I still think you need to make a cooked custard/pastry cream/pudding to call this a 'pots de creme'....otherwise I think you'd be better labeling it as a 'creme au chocolat' as previously suggested by AlainV.

I've just recently been converted to stove top creme brulees after reading 'Dessert University' by R. Mesnier and following his recipes. He writes about the stovetop version of making creme brulee: "Stirring the custard as it cooks incorporates air into the mixture, making the finished dessert much lighter then the baked version. To this end, I also whip the egg yolks very well to give them as much volume as possible.

Adding cornstarch allows me to make the custard with fewer egg yolks then is customary, and this too contributes to the exceptionally silky and delicate texture."

Mesnier doesn't have a brulee thats chocolate but he does rave about his chocolate pastry cream in his silky chocolate cream pie. "When covered with whipped cream and garnished eith chocolate curls, the pie is fit for a king".

His recipe chocolate pastry cream/pudding:

6 tbsp. sugar

1/4 c. cornstarch

8 yolks

1 quart milk

8 oz. semi sweet chocolate

4 tbsp. butter

Whisk yolks, sugar and cornstarch together until pale and thick. Heat milk to a boil. Temper into yolk mixture, return to pot continue cooking, whisking constantly until it reaches a full boil. Remove from pot and whisk in the chocolate and butter.