• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quiznos Subs

lesfen

Did I just order the wrong thing, or are all of their sandwiches this gross?

It was lunch time, I was hungry. I made my deposit at the bank and I remembered that a Quizno's had just opened up down the street. Mmmm... something new. Mm... mmm... mmm... toasty. So I order my Turkey, Bacon, and Guacamole sub... what could be better? I love turkey, I love bacon, and I would tackle my mother to get to a bowl of guacamole. Plus, they're gonna toast it!!! Oh man... this is gonna be great! First things first, I told them to keep their funky ranch sauce to themselves. I don't understand the fixation with ranch dressing on everything... another time. So anyway, I got a bag of their Salt 'N Vinegar chips to tide me over until I got back to the office. They were foul. I can't put my finger on the aftertaste, but it decidedly chemical and wasn't enjoyable, so I pitched them. But who cares! I've got a TBG sandwich waiting for me! It's toasty!! I couldn't get it out of the wrapper fast enough. Big bite.

-Bread... not bad. I'm a sucker for sesame seeds and it was indeed toasty.

-Turkey... had that "smoky flavor", but I'm guessing that it didn't come from actual smoke.

-Bacon... nasty! Very thin and rubbery, also with that suspicious "smoky flavor".

-Guacamole... DEAR GOD, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY GUACAMOLE. You have to understand my love of all things avocado. I adore them. I want to put them on everything that I eat. I think this came out of a can. Is there such a thing as canned guac? It's a shade of green that I thought only existed in pool toys, and it's kind of sour and almost slimy.

I'm disappointed. This combination of flavors is only made worse by a sprinkling of their seasoning. I don't know what's in it, but it's making this sandwich taste like a turkey, bacon, and guacamole pizza... with a side of ass.

Edited for spelling. :unsure:

Edited by lesfen (log)

My ex roomate was obsessed with their Chicken Carbonara subs, he proclaimed the the best subs on Earth. We live in close proximity to lots of great sub shops, I never agreed with him that they were the best on Earth, but the Chicken Carbonara is certainy tasty.

Recently I tried one of their low-carb 'flatbreads'. I found this to be a total ripoff, same price as a sub, much less filling, the Subway wraps are a far better deal here.

Anyway, Quiznos isn't awful, but, for my sub dollar, I'll take Capriotti's any day.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

My personal experience with Quizno's is rather limited, two visits. Both times I found their food to be only marginal. Not really nasty but no where near the being worth the price tag. As NulloModo said, my money is better spent at other sandwich shops.

Fresh Guac is indeed one of the finest things in life, but bad Guac is quite, quite, horrid.

About the worst I've ever had was Goya brand from the freezer section in my local grocery store, wow, that stuff was beyond horrendous.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Just had one open in town. Thanks to you folks I don't have to try them. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The only thing I can eat there is the smoked turkey sandwich. It's passable.

Not great, but it doesn't induce vomiting like the chicken bourbon sandwich they gave me once by accident (I ordered chicken salad).

It's pretty bad when you're ripping of the sample guy in the mall for sandwich flavors. :biggrin:

Rule Number One when ordering at Quizno's:

Never EVER order any sandwich that has their disgusting guacamole on it. :angry:

The other non-guacamole sandwiches I've had there have been quite tasty. I'd say try again now that you're in-the-know.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My ex roomate was obsessed with their Chicken Carbonara subs, he proclaimed the the best subs on Earth.

Death on a roll. Pretty tasty death on a roll, now, especially with that chili sauce, but death none-the-less. Take a look at the chicken carbonara and try to tell me that thing doesn't take like 10 minutes off your life!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I don't know. I happen to like their sandwiches. Their honey mustard grilled chicken is pretty good (this is the Quiznos on St. Mark's Place between Second and Third in the East Village).

Then again, my palate isn't terribly sophisticated so take that with a grain of salt. :wink:

Soba

I think I'm going to try again, (I did like the bread) but this time I'll carefully consider my topping options before ordering. I should probably play it safe and go with a cheesesteak or something.

(my first post here -- yay!)

I'm not a Quizno's fan at all. I've been maybe 4-5 times over the course of a few years, and each time I've been disappointed. Every time I order something that I think must be super-yummy, it comes out super-bland. I tried it for the last time a few months ago, when I received a killer coupon for a new store that opened up a block down the street.

Even with the killer coupon, I was totally underwhelmed.

There's a Togo's 1 block in another direction, and there are 3 Subways in walking distance -- next time I'm craving a chain-sub sandwich, Quizno's won't be making it for me.

here's another hint: if you order something like an "italian", take it home, add dried oregano, salt, pepper, and some extra vinegar. this will help in the case of any chain, or local sub shop (who also, believe it or not, produce mass quantities of crap all over the country).

welcome to egullet pandor.

Edited by tommy (log)

go with the "italian" and call it a day.

I totally agree with this. For some reason my husband loves this place. I can (barely) tolerate it once in a while. But when I do get dragged here for an occasional lunch when we're in a hurry, the italian sandwich is okay.

I brought my neice to my firs Quizno's visit last month. I was mightily confused when I realized it was a HOT sand..so I asked them for just a regular cold italian sub...total confusion, kept asking me why I didn't want it toasted... after a bite, I doubted toasting it would have improved it, other than softening the chewy bread a bit...and its the thinnist layer of low quality meat...as bad as subway, in my opinion.

and its the thinnist layer of low quality meat...as bad as subway, in my opinion.

this is the biggest problem with just about any sub shop, in my opinion.

NJ might very well be the center of the universe as far as subs are concerned, and even our best suffer from too little meat. i generally have to order a sandwich twice the size that i'd want, and transplant the meat from one side to the other to double it up.

my experience at quizno's was certainly no different. a tiny bit of meat. so little that it was an insult.

NYC has notoriously bad sandwiches as well (with a few notable exceptions). the best sandwich i've found is at a supermarket deli counter during lunch. they load up the roll with a reasonable amount of meat, and for 4.95. one of the better deals in NYC, primarily because the sandwich is actually edible.

i take sandwiches very seriously. :wacko:

I think it's the oil they use in the "oil & vinegar" they squirt onto the subs. It has a plastic taste. I think it's soybean oil, but that's just a guess.

I find that Blimpies is the only major chain sandwich that I enjoy. And that's probably cause of nostalgia.

I've been to the Quizno's here a couple of times. I had some fairly plain turkey sandwiches that were OK. I stopped going because they had so much attitude. I came in with a coupon that had been mailed to me once; when I presented it, the one guy turned to the other and said, "We gonna take this coupon?" like it was a very remote possibility. They did accept it, but who needs that?

Anyone been to a TOGO's? We have them all over the place suddenly.

I like Quizno's. It's better than any other sandwich shop I've been to, which isn't that many, but still. Subway sucks, and Panera still pisses me off that they have pre-made sandwiches where the onions are cooked into the damn things and they can't take them out, but that's another story.

Anyway, things I like at Quizno's: the tuna sub, honey mustard chicken, mesquite chicken, and even the turkey guacamole (of course it's not fresh, you really want your "sub artist" to stop everything and mix up a tablespoon of guacamole?). I also really appreciate the fact that they have unsweetened iced tea.

I guess if you really want a kickass sub you have to be willing to make it yourself.