• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

As long as we're having fun, what's next?

Squeat Mungry

New places I hope to get to soon:

1. Tartare

2. Frisson

3. Restaurant Michael Mina

All in San Francisco.

Places I hope to return to soon:

1. Quince (San Francisco), don't know if I'll ever grow tired of this place

2. Bistro Clovis (San Francisco), of the foiled birthday outing

3. Antidote (Sausalito), just curious (oops, I haven't been to Antidote yet, so make that number 4, above.)

Cheers,

Squeat

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

New places (new to me, that is) to try:

Quince

Petit Robert

Frisson

Plouf

Places I'd like to go back to soon:

Incanto

Fringale

Nizza La Bella*

* Nizza La Bella's in Albany. Everything else is in SF

I'm hoping to check out:

1. Aubergine in Newport Beach (never been there before and I got a gift certificate from a silent auction),

2. That Korean samgyetang restaurant in Garden Grove that Melonpan recommended (Gohyang Sancheon), and

3. One of the weekly Italian regional dinner menu nights at Alto Palato in West Hollywood. (Anyone else interested? They are Wednesday nights...could make it a mini-eGullet outing)

Runner-up: grilled cheese sandwich Thursday nights at Campanile -- another one of those things I keep meaning to try.

:rolleyes: Well, after writing about Jojo's yesterday, I couldn't help it, I had to go there again last night. Wonderful as always-dessert was Santa Rosa plum sorbet AND Santa Rosa plum ice cream. But I digress...

I'm looking forward to finally trying Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino this weekend.

I'd also like to eat at Piperade. And Manresa. Definitely Manresa.

I want to go back to Terra in the worst way-we ate there during our anniversary trip and it was absolutely perfect. :wub:

We'll be trying the new Wine Garden in Yountville this weekend...Also, Piccaso in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

We'll be trying the new Wine Garden in Yountville this weekend...Also, Piccaso in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks.

Hey, Sam! When/what time? I'll be heading there on Sunday...

Places I've been wanting to try:

Aziza (Moroccan in SF)

Manresa (Los Gatos)

French Laundry (with those prices, it ain't gonna happen any time soon...)

More realistically, the places that have been on the back burner but will happen sooner than those above:

Wine Garden (Yountville) - this Sunday

La Toque (Napa) - next Sunday

Mirepoix (Windsor) - the Sunday after that....

But tonight is Sonoma Saveurs!!!!!!

I really want to try Antidote.

I wanted to try both Tartare and MM, but the recent mixed reviews have dampened my enthusiasm.

I haven't tried Quince yet either but that's also on my list.

Oh, never been to Kabuto A&S and hoping to make it there soon.

Eventually I'll get into the French Laundry. I haven't been there in at least 7-8 years. I just can't get past the phone system though.

Hmm... Places I want to hit:

Urasawa (L.A.)

The new Bastide (L.A.) (working on a final date, argh)

Tartare (S.F.)

Frisson (S.F.)

Places I'd like to go back to soon:

Quince (S.F.)

Kiss Seafood (S.F.)

Sea Harbour (dim sum L.A. San Gabriel Valley)

Vancouver

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Want to try:

A16: I just found out about this in the Italian thread of Ore's...someone he staged with (I think) opened A16, which is the name of an autostrada that runs through Napoli.

Quince

Jojo's

Fringale (chef Marc Raisic is doing an Outstanding in the Field farm dinner at Knoll Farm in Brentwood next weekend...his chicken last year was the best I've ever put in my mouth)

Manresa (yes, I've eaten there, but my next visit is going to be the Chef's Tasting, ooooo la oui!)

RNM: Justine Miner impressed me so much when she cooked a farm dinner. Not only with her modesty and bearing, which didn't smack of ego in the least, but with her absolutely out-of-this-world food.

Chez Papa, sometime, somehow.

Tried and liked very much:

Le Petit Robert (sat next to Alton Brown, who eats there all the time): perfect bistro food. Calamari salad? Quail? To die. Also, I like how they do their wine list: by the glass, carafe or bottle. Great idea.

Again/also Manresa. First tried some tapas in May, and am looking forward to the full-on experience in the near future. (Also just found out that friends of mine are going there to celebrate her birthday in October. She doesn't know anyone who's ever eaten there, so of course I got to tell her about the Chef's Tasting.)

Pesce

and inspired from egullet,

Quince

Manresa

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Tartare

Rigolo (Pascal Rigo's new place in Laurel Heights)

yet another secret couscous place in the Tenderloin

Is Rigolo in the former La Table space? What type of cuisine? I'm one behind on Pascal Rigo restaurants, as I have not tried Cortez yet, but I have not been very impressed with the ones that came after Chez Nous.

I'm actually running low on new (to me) restaurants that I'd like to try for the first time, but the following are up there (in no particular order):

-That other Tunisian couscous in the Tenderloin

-China Village (Albany)

-Hyde Street Bistro

-Nectar Wine Lounge (more for the wine)

-Thahn Long and PPQ (for roasted crab and garlic noodles)

-Palatino

-Fish (Sausalito)

-Sakae (Burlingame)

-Cafe Rouge (Berkeley)

As for places I'd like to revisit:

-Bacco (I really like this place but do not seem to get there often enough)

-Chapeau (ditto)

-1550 Hyde, Iluna Basque, Bocadillos (I've only been to each of these once and liked them, I need to go back and explore more of the menu)

-Limon, Mochica, Fresca (I really like modern Peruvian)

Like to try:

---------------

Iris - Atlanta, GA

Charlie Trotter - Chicago, IL

Babbo - NYC, NY

Morimoto - Philly, PA

Aqua - SF, CA

Slanted Door - SF, CA

Caprial's Bistro - Portland, OR

To re-visit:

---------------

Manresa - Los Gatos, CA

Nobu - NYC, NY

West - Vancouver, BC

Thai-Lao Kitchen - Redding, CA *

Fat Matt's Ribs - Atlanta, GA

*note: I eat here almost 2-3 days a week, this is a given :-)

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold