• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sorta Slight Rubbery Taste From Silex Vacuum Pot

BottomBracket

Whenever I make coffee in my vintage Silex vacuum pot, I swear that I can detect a slight rubbery taste in the coffee. It comes from the rubber gasket, it smells like a new automobile tire whenever the pot is action. Have any of you ever had this experience? Should I wash the gasket thoroughly with anything? Though it is in perfect shape, I know it is quite old (around 30 to 40 years old); I am hesitant to clean it thoroughly because it might crack. Thanks!

Whenever I make coffee in my vintage Silex vacuum pot, I swear that I can detect a slight rubbery taste in the coffee. It comes from the rubber gasket, it smells like a new automobile tire whenever the pot is action. Have any of you ever had this experience? Should I wash the gasket thoroughly with anything? Though it is in perfect shape, I know it is quite old (around 30 to 40 years old); I am hesitant to clean it thoroughly because it might crack. Thanks!

Milk soap and water with a cloth, then wipe with a damp cloth (simply clean water) wipe with food grade mineral oil. This may not help, though. The rubber may simply be old and degrading too fast. It happens.

Your other bet would be to replace the gasket with a modern silicone equivalent. You should be able to find some food grade gasket material that you can cut to fit.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You're in luck! Casco Bay Molding in Maine is making replacement gaskets for the narrow mouth Silex pot and may also have them for the wide mouth model and some Cory vacuum pots as well. They worked with some vacuum pot collectors and enthusiasts to get intact original gaskets and made molds of them. The replacement gaskets are made from food grade compatible silicone rubber and should eliminate your probllem in addition to having good longevity.

Silex Replacement Gaskets

Edited to add: bad low grade Robusta coffee (e.g. Vietnamese) can have a slightly rubbery taste but I'm sure that's not the case here. And vacuum pot coffee rocks!