• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montclair/Bloomfield area seafood

Pringle

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been to Feeman's but I will be checking it out soon. Caldwell Seafood is solid. Always a great selection, always fresh.

Whole foods is adequate, Caldwell Seafood is head and shoulders above.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I never ate in the restaurant at Caldwell Seafood. I actually grew up in West Caldwell, and my mother introduced me to the store. Back in the day, it had no restaurant and was a hole in the wall. The entire store smelled like the Fulton Fish Market, and had absolutely zero decor.

Over the years, they've made improvements to the appearance of the store, and I'm not quite sure when they added the restaurant portion. I know it's been there for quite some time now, but for me, in my mind, it will always be the hole in the wall fish store that puts out a great fresh product. Not sure when I'll give the restaurant a try.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Anchor Seafood, 177 Outwater Lane in Garfield, is also very good.

A bit far afield from Montclair, of course, but it's easy to get to off of Rt 21 if you happen to be passing that way.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845