• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Malaysian dish to try next?

The last two Malaysian restaurants I've eaten at have been Penang and Singapore Cafe.  I liked the Char Kway Teow at Penang but at Singapore Cafe it was much too dry.  However, Singapore Cafe has a delightful habit of adding crispy pork crackling to their noodle dishes. 

You mean there are places that don't add it to char kway teow?????

The horror.

regards,

trillium

The restaurant formerly called "New Taste Good" on 1 Doyers St. is now called the something-or-other ("Good," I think) Chinese Restaurant. I went there tonight and had some Asam Laksa and part of some Rojak. At a certain point, I got to a piece of fried tofu in the rojak that tasted of mold (or, probably less likely, the mold was in the sauce). Don't go there!

(By the way, please don't confuse this place with the Excellent Pork Shop House at 3 Doyers. I haven't been to the latter and don't want my remarks to be taken against them.)

Michael aka "Pan"

Due to health concerns, many hawkers in singapore have left out cockles and fried lard pieces (they are not cracklings, i.e. not fried pieces of skin, but are cubed lard fried to GBD) in their char kway teow. The horror! Oh the horror! :laugh:

Right, they start out as pork fat, and after most of the oil/lard has been rendered out of them in the pan, they become rather crunchy. There is nothing better! What's GBD?

Are the cockles and fried fat pieces being left out because that's what the Singaporean diners want? If I go to Singapore, I'm gonna request that they add them to my order.