• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Places Near Arlington Heights?

NancyH

Thanks, George, for sharing your Bob Chinn's experience with us. $21M per year?!?! Wow, I knew they were a heavy hitter but that's a huge number. I don't think anyone could question the quality/freshness of their food but yes, their schtick can wear a bit thin. I LOL'd when I read your description of the sign in the bathroom.

Tough story about your server-friend. I hope she finds happiness on her new path. That's a lot of time to put in somewhere without anyone even questioning her resignation. A very sad detail :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I ate at Bob Chins only once. The place was really noisey and packed so hubby did not like it. I love seafood and they had good crab legs but I really have had no desire to go back. The $21M was not from me! Pardon my ignorance but I only know of the place on Milwaukee in Wheeling-are there others?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I ate at Bob Chins only once.  The place was really noisey and packed so hubby did not like it.  I love seafood and they had good crab legs but I really have had no desire to go back.  The $21M was not from me!  Pardon my ignorance but I only know of the place on Milwaukee in Wheeling-are there others?

Bob Chinn's Chicago Crabhouse is on Clark St. at the Chicago River, but under different ownership/management. They (might be Chinn's nephew) bought the rights to use the name from Chinn (more marketing!). It's a more formal setting (with great views!), but the food is rather uninspired and the prices quite a bit higher.

I love the Red King crab legs (cold, please) at Chinn's, and every so often they go on "sale" for $19.99 for a pound. Not a bad deal, considering they're usually $28.95.

Bob Chinn's Chicago Crabhouse is on Clark St. at the Chicago River...
For all you lushes: $4 Mai Tais on Monday.
You rang?!? :biggrin:

Is this at the Chicago location only?

This I do not know. Might want to call them. For your weekly Mai Tai fix, Thursdays at Trader Vics also does a $4 Mai Tai. Then on Friday go to Mambo Grill for their half priced Mojitos. :cool:

This I do not know. Might want to call them. For your weekly Mai Tai fix, Thursdays at Trader Vics also does a $4 Mai Tai. Then on Friday go to Mambo Grill for their half priced Mojitos. :cool:

Fetch me my diet pills and call the police! :biggrin:

LMAO! :biggrin:

=R=

Plan out your week with restaurant specials from Unbeatable Bargins courtesy of Metromix.

Plan out your week with restaurant specials from Unbeatable Bargins courtesy of Metromix.

But do confirm first. The linked article is dated 4/30/03...

=R=

Mr. Suburban, maybe its time to start an updated eG thread of the Heartland's restaurant dining specials. Edited by yellow truffle (log)

Mr. Suburban, maybe its time to start an updated eG thread of the Heartland's restaurant dining specials.

I'm so there... :biggrin:

=R=

• 4 months later...
For sushi, I've been dying to try this place:

http://www.wildfishcontemporary.com/184829.html

Wild Fish Sushi - Arlington Heights NW Suburb

I was done visiting some clients on Dundee Road yesterday afternoon just about the time that Judi was passing by this area on her way home. Hey, let’s go out to dinner, OK where? I’ve heard good things about Wild Fish in Arlington Heights (closeby), Sure let’s go.

Wild fish is in this strip mall Arlington Heights city center area. It has lots of candles/minimalist decor and serves what it terms as “contemporary” sushi.

Started out w/Blue fin Toro (fatty tuna) carpaccio served w/thin avocado and apple slices, drizzled w/olive oil. $25 but a very good dish, nice start for sure.

Tried a noodle salad for $5, a decent salad, not overly special

A surprise hit dish were the freshly prepared stuffed mushrooms $7, made on site. Mushroom caps stuffed w/crab, very lightly fried, served over a small salad w/a tasty dressing.

We had our spicy tuna roll $6, something we almost always get at any sushi place, Wild Fish’s version was sure spicy, maybe too much as the flavor of the tuna was masked.

Finished up w/Crunchi roll $11, a scallop roll w/avocado, sprinkled w/tempura bits served w/a citrus sauce. This roll we really liked.

My large Sapporo beer was $7 and Judi’s glass of Pinot Grigio was $7.

Service was a bit unpolished (dropped broken dish at my feet, coming back to ask about an order), but responsive which is what I really care about.

Seeing as there were some hits, we will go back and try some other items.

Wild Fish

60 S Arlington Heights Road

Arlington Heights

http://www.wildfishcontemporary.com/

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Mitsuwa is  good rec!  But whenever we go (late morning weekends) the food court is only a half operation.  But you can always suppplement with the sashimi/sushi sold  on premises.

While Mitsuwa is good, I prefer the sushi from Tensuke market which is 1 mile south of Misuwa on the corner of Higgins & Arlington Heights Road (south of 90).

The best kept secret in the Schaumburg area is Jockey's Wok and Roll.  WHAT?  It's a Chinese restaurant which serves some of the best Dim Sum in the lower 48.  Better than many Chinatown restaurants.  Try it!  You will not be dissapointed.

1017 N. Roselle Road, Hoffman Estates, IL 60195

It's tucked away in the crook of an L shaped strip mall.  On weekends, just follow the line of cars turning into the parking lot.

Jockey is a every other month experience for my wife and I, we'll go for a long walk in the Busse Forest Preserve and try to get done about 11:15am, perfect time to get to the best (as I know it) Dim Sum place in the suburbs, Jockey Restaurant in Hoffman Estates.

We try to arrive slightly before 11:30am, good thing because in 15 minutes the place is usually packed. On Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-2:30pm, Jockey serves Dim Sum w/the carts rolling around, one simply asks what the cart server has to get served the items on the cart. If you don't like it, don't take it.

There is quite a good, fresh selection at Jockey BUT not all items come out on carts, make sure you request the Dim Sum menu so that you can see all the items available.

Also, if you need a midweek Dim Sum fix, items are available at any time, just ask for the Dim Sum Menu.

Jockey Restaurant

1017 N Roselle Road

(NE corner of Higgins & Roselle)

Hoffman Estates, IL

http://www.jockey2go.com

• 6 months later...
Mitsuwa is  good rec!  But whenever we go (late morning weekends) the food court is only a half operation.  But you can always suppplement with the sashimi/sushi sold  on premises.

Update on the Mitsuwa food court. They now really have their act together and have stepped up the quality of their offerings. Enough customers must have complained about the so-so operations. I've recently been going frequently for lunch and some dinners and the food court is humming.

Jockey Restaurant (listed in this thread) now is in the food court and serves some of their dim sum items.

Torishin (isakaya = japanese tapas)

1584 S. Busse Rd.

Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

847-427-4590

Serious Japanese restaurant. For an adventure, their menu is in Japanese, although they may have an English menu. It has always been an experience every time I go there. Located next suburb over.

FINALLY went to Tori Shin. Living in Des Plaines, I commute past this restaurant each day and have always said we need to get in there.

Loved it, felt like we were back in Japan. No English posted, we were recognized as not being Japanese :wink: and provided an English menu.

I had read of Tori Shin being described as Japanese Tapas, not a bad analogy IMO.

Broiled Squid with ginger sauce was so-so. I do far better grilled squid at home. This was the only ho-hum dish, the others sang.

Tofu and Oyster in broth, w/some sliced scallions was wonderful.

Kaki Oyster - Japanese breaded oysters, fresh and juicy w/crisp breading. Saw the horse mackerel, will get that next time for a change of pace.

Chicken bowl - good but Bowl House does a better bowl

Spicy Tuna Roll - Maguro was VERY fresh.

Sapporo beer on tap and served each time in a new frosty mug.

YUM!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Bakery Crescent – Japanese Bakery – Arlington Heights, IL

I had just finished shopping at Mitsuwa (http://www.mitsuwa.com ) with a friend when it occurred to me to try to find the bakery that a friend had mentioned. It was pretty easy to find, just east ¼ mile from Mitsuwa on Algonquin, in the small strip mall that houses Nikko Sushi and a Korean supermarket (I was intrigued to go in, but did not have the time).

It is a very small bakery with 20 or so options, the options we chose were quite good to delicious. Only one disappointment.

We each split one of each of the following.

Cheesy Petit Pan – Outside was not as crusty as I would like but that seems to be a common issue with bread items I’ve had from Japanese bakeries. But inside were ¼” chunks of a gruyere like cheese, very good roll.

Sausage in a long donut. Sausage turned out to a hot dog and the donut dough was nothing special. This was the lone disappointing item.

Raisin Roll – Chocked full of plump raisins, slight cinnamon taste. A slight sprinkle of large granular sugar on top. I’ll have to go back and get more for breakfast.

Blueberry/cream cheese pastry – good buttery pastry with lots of light layers, crisp exterior that had a browned eggwash to it. Excellent.

Durian cream filled “minicake” – I’m calling it a “minicake” as I don’t know the correct term for it. It was the size of a large cupcake with a large deposit of fluffy durian (stinky fruit) cream. Unfortunately (or fortunate if you don’t like durian) there was no discernable taste of durian in the cream. But still a delicious item.

Curried bread (pan) – a 5” flat foot ball silhouette shaped item, again the crust could have been more crusty, but the curried filling was terrific and abundant. I can easily see getting a couple of these for lunch sometime. Also they have Curried Egg bread which has hard boiled egg inside along with the curry filling. For $1.50, I grab one of these and a green tea for lunch, cheap, delicious and filling.

Takoyaki - a flat roll with Octopus, Japanese mayo, bonito flakes, pickled ginger all baked. Good item.

As we were checking out, there was a heated display of fried items, all with the Japanese panchanko breading crust. There were 6 different items. We chose a crab “cake” and a sardine.

The crab item was not a cake as a cheesy gooey mess inside a surprisingly light crust of breading.

A highlight no doubt was the sardine, a flayed 4” long sardine with tail still on (picture a triangle shape w/tail on top). The sardine had this wonderful strong flavor (not fishy) and the breading was again, light IMO.

Bakery Crescent

270 E. Algonquin Road

Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Closed Mon & Thurs

Open 10am – 6pm other days