• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin

foodietraveler

Could there have been too much fat, even in the 'lite' coconut milk for the gelatin to dissolve easily? It's been a while since I've used powdered gelatin, since the usual form here is the sheet, but my recollection is of sifting it as evenly as possible over cold water, juice, or some other liquid (that didn't have fat), then adding anything else only once the gelatin had gone into solution.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I don't know, but I've made the coconut marshmallows from Talanian's book which blooms the gelatin in lite coconut milk, and they turned out great. For marshmallows, I've folded the gelatin into the bloom, especially when its thicker like coconut milk or puree, just to be sure it blooms before adding the heated liquid, otherwise it does just sit on top. How much coconut milk did you use for the bloom? For the marshmallow recipe it's 2/3 c for 4TB gelatin.

I don't know, but I've made the coconut marshmallows from Talanian's book which blooms the gelatin in lite coconut milk, and they turned out great. For marshmallows, I've folded the gelatin into the bloom, especially when its thicker like coconut milk or puree, just to be sure it blooms before adding the heated liquid, otherwise it does just sit on top. How much coconut milk did you use for the bloom? For the marshmallow recipe it's 2/3 c for 4TB gelatin.

I used one packet of gelatine to a half cup of liquid.

... Shel

Could there have been too much fat, even in the 'lite' coconut milk for the gelatin to dissolve easily?

Based on some articles I read since posting the question, it's possible that there was too much fat in the coconut milk or that I didn't let the gelatine sit long enough on the coconut milk. It's also possible that I did not use a wide enough diameter container for the liquid thereby not getting enough of the gelatine moist. I used a different cup for the liquid this time, and the diameter was about 1/3 that of the vessel I usually use.

... Shel

• 1 year later...

using the calculations i found on this thread + another gelatin one, my recipe calls for 1 sheet of gelatin (and doing the calculations its 2g so i see its a gold sheet). i did the math and came across 1.88g of knox powdered gelatin. my question is this--how much water need i bloom the gelatin in? even if you have a basic ratio in ounces i can drop it down but i've always just followed the recipes and those guide me but when using powdered gelatin i've just got no idea on the basics of blooming it

I think somewhere above it was mentioned that one blooms in 5x water...by weight.

• 5 months later...