• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

We're testing the coffee at Melt before opening and would welcome anyone in the area to stop in and give an evaluation. We're also working on the rest of the menu so there's a chance other goodies might be available. We should be here every day (7 days) until we open and the coffee should be hot and fresh from 9 to 3. We're at 581 Jersey Ave. in Jersey City, 201-459-0008. Best to call first, but okay to just stop in. Thanks.

We're testing the coffee at Melt before opening and would welcome anyone in the area to stop in and give an evaluation.  We're also working on the rest of the menu so there's a chance other goodies might be available.  We should be here every day (7 days) until we open and the coffee should be hot and fresh from 9 to 3.  We're at 581 Jersey Ave. in Jersey City, 201-459-0008.  Best to call first, but okay to just stop in.  Thanks.

Glen, spoke to you on the phone today,

we will see you this weekend! :smile:

Harry

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

The coffee rocks. I'm not saying that because I installed the brewing equipment but because the coffee is from Terroir Coffee of Boston. The only coffee from them that I've tried yet is the Guatemala Huehuetango that Glenn is serving as the house brew when Melt opens. I have no affiliation with Terroir and almost wish I didn't have to admit it but it's better than any coffee we roast where I work. If al other factors are equal (e.g. method and style of roasting, freshness etc.) it all gets down to bean quality. Where I am presently roasting we have the best coffee in our region but it's not of the same calibre as this Guatemalan.

The rest of the menu and the quality of the ingredients looks really good - I encourage anyone in the area to stop by and take Glenn up on his offer. BTW, there's a small Italian take-out place next door that sells very good bread and also their own home-made fresh mozzarella. I didn't have a chance to try the cheese but it looked very good.

Thanks, Owen! but you are too modest. Owen is the consummate professional and gentleman. Not only did he amaze me with his coffee knowledge and skills, but he really knew how to talk the talk in the plumbing supply store (while I sat there wondering what the heck they were all talking about.)

The "mutz" next door (Gabagoolz) is very good - we tested it today and it will be used for one of our "basic" sandwiches.

• 3 weeks later...

Glenn,

How'd your first week go?? It was great meeting you, and I apprciate you taking a little time out of your pre-opening craziness to talk to me. I do have eome general "how do you take an idea from the drawing board to a reality" questions, but I'll ask again at another time.

Congratulations

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85