• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

Well, it's mostly decided. You should probably all pluck my nose hair out cuz what I was lookiing for was not exactly a slogan but something to put on an outdoor sign. What we decided on is boring and mundane, but goes perfect with the sign. The sign is turning out to be dynamite and I think you'll agree on the wording once you see it. I'll post a picture of the sign when it's finished.

As for the slogans, there's some really great stuff between here and craigslist. I appreciate it very much and let me say again, THANK YOU! We will be looking for a "real" slogan a little further down the road. Personally, my favorite is "The Come Back Cafe." However, I doubt we'll use it cuz you gotta think more than 4 seconds to get it.

My favorite thus far is Jason's suggestion of "The Grilled Cheese Experience" but with other food items on the menu.... do you want the slogan to focus just on grilled cheese?

I really like the remarkably simple and memorable slogan that Heid's Hot Dogs in Liverpool NY uses (just outside Syracuse):

Food You'll Like

Here's what the sign looks like

Heid's pic

Edited to add: "Melted, Shaken and Fried - Not Stirred"

You should get over to the new Dino BBQ in Manhattan. They have very good fresh cut fries that are worth checking out (you should actually go just for the food but this way you can call it a work related research project :laugh: )

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The web site looks great! I like the exclamation mark in place of the L.

This must be very exciting.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That looks great Glenn! We, being me, the wife and kids and the whole gang at work, cannot wait to come by and sample the wares.

The one behind the counter with the big cheesy grin will be you.

(Actually, Big Cheesy Grins is NOT a bad slogan...)

This place is SCREAMIN' Egullet Roadtrip.

Regards

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Congrats Glenn! The site looks terrific!

Good choice on the Bassett's Ice Cream. It's an old-school Philly favorite. I still think their vanilla is the very very best.

Can I put in a vote for my personal favorite grilled cheese combo? Brie with Fig jam is just awesome on multi-grain bread. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Can I put in a vote for my personal favorite grilled cheese combo?  Brie with Fig jam is just awesome on multi-grain bread.  :wub:

Okay, I've read several recipes with fig jam but never tasted it nor have I been able to find it. Is this something that's sold in stores?

Thanks for the comments on the site - credit belongs to Phil Marzo of PM Designs.

Can I put in a vote for my personal favorite grilled cheese combo?  Brie with Fig jam is just awesome on multi-grain bread.  :wub:

Okay, I've read several recipes with fig jam but never tasted it nor have I been able to find it. Is this something that's sold in stores?

Thanks for the comments on the site - credit belongs to Phil Marzo of PM Designs.

Glenn:

Fig jam is usually available in more "upscale" markets and groceries. Williams-Sonoma would undoubtedly have it, as would many gourmet shops or cheese shops. If one of your local cheese chops carries it perhaps you can work a deal to purchase some stuff from them and get them to tell you which purveyor they get it from. Or look through your catalogs from your current purveyors of dry goods and see who might have it. I'm beyond certain it's available to you somewhere.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fig jam is usually available in more "upscale" markets and groceries.  Williams-Sonoma would undoubtedly have it, as would many gourmet shops or cheese shops.  If one of your local cheese chops carries it perhaps you can work a deal to purchase some stuff from them and get them to tell you which purveyor they get it from.  Or look through your catalogs from your current purveyors of dry goods and see who might have it. I'm beyond certain it's available to you somewhere.

Sure enough, Murray's Cheese has it. Never would have thought to look in a cheese shop. I'll finally get to taste it, yippee!

Glenn-

Just read about Dalmatia Fig Spread with Orange on the 101 Cookbooks blog and thought you might like to know about it! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

101 cookbooks blog?! Curlz, you need a life! :) (uh, kettle black and all that.)

Seriously, thanks for the tip. Since first tasting fig jam only a week ago, I'm sold. I got 2 different kinds from Murray's Cheese and my chef whipped up a batch. I think it's a fantastic topping for GC and will go with a lot of cheeses. Plus it's just the kind of item I'm looking to retail. Thanks again, I'm going to contact Dalmatia today.

Let them know they can send my commission any time they're ready... :wink:

And fwiw, that's the first time I had been on the 101C site; it was linked off of The Food Section as an article about the Fancy Food Show. Then the fig jam caught my eye, and it was all over... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Fig jam is usually available in more "upscale" markets and groceries.  Williams-Sonoma would undoubtedly have it, as would many gourmet shops or cheese shops.  If one of your local cheese chops carries it perhaps you can work a deal to purchase some stuff from them and get them to tell you which purveyor they get it from.  Or look through your catalogs from your current purveyors of dry goods and see who might have it. I'm beyond certain it's available to you somewhere.

Sure enough, Murray's Cheese has it. Never would have thought to look in a cheese shop. I'll finally get to taste it, yippee!

Glenn:

So how are the fig jam variations coming along?? Did you end up liking it or not?

The curious want to know... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I love the stuff! It probably goes well with any cheese. As I noted above, I spoke to Dalmatia and they're sending samples. I'm especially interested in the orange fig jam. Chances are I'm going to carry it as a regular topping, though I don't know if it will be homemade (with Rachel's great recipe) or Dalmatia's. And if Dalmatia's product is as good as it's purported to be and it makes sense economically, I will be retailing it. That way y'all can bypass Whole foods and go directly to melt :)

Well, I was in the Montclair WF last night and they didn't have it, which was a MAJOR disappointment...this thread got me all psyched to try it!!