• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

Jason, I also have an opening on Thursday nights for a standup comedian :))  .... though actually, your last suggestions might be workable!

Melt: The Grilled Cheese Experience is my favorite, actually.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thank you thank you.... there are some great suggestions some of which might work. I have an admissioin though - I cheated. I posted an ad on craigs list about the same time I posted here. The response there was truly amazing (as it was here), many with great potential. I offered $100 if I used one of the slogans. Unless it's against eglutton law, that offer extends here. I'm listing the ones I think have potential - both from Craigs list and here - and if this is not too obnoxious or self-indulgent to ask, I'd love to get some feedback. Here's what I like either in part or whole....

Familiar food, modern twist

Vintage foods, fresh perspective

Classic comfort, fresh perspective

The food you grew up with

For the kid in you

Tastes that Dreams are Made Of

Meals that Warm your Soul

Innovative Dining for Modern New Jersey

Magical Meals Bring you Back Home”

Modern Mom’s Home Cooking”

”Modern Meals, Comfort Cooking

Mouthwatering something

The come back place

revisit goodtimes

memory lane food

memorable taste & satisfaction

21st century soul food

food for the times

come back food

taste*satisfaction*comfort

revisit taste & good times

a cafe

today’s cafe

the taste connection

more than grilled cheese

sit-back*relax*enjoy

Melt: The Grilled Cheese Experience

Melt: Its Cheesegasmic!!!

Melt: We Take Our Cheesegasms Seriously

Melt: Ooey, Gooey, Oh Yeah.

Melt: Say Cheese and Smile

MELT

Modern Eats. Legendary Tastes

MELT

Modern Eats. Lifelong Traditions (or Lasting Traditions)

MELT

Modern Eats. Lifelong Tastes.

MELT

Modern Eats. Lasting Trends.

Melt=Mo melt

Melt=We bring good cheese to life

Vintage Food for a Modern World

Timeless Taste Revisited

Vintage Food with Modern Taste

Vintage Food Prepared for a Modern World

Modern Spirit with Vintage Soul

A Favorite Food Revival

New Vintage

“Feel good food”

Soooo Good.

A classic in the making

Timeless Food Revisited

Timeless Food, Modern Taste

Simple American Fare with a Flare

Food for the kid in all of us

Good and gooey

real old food done modern

oldies but goodies

delicious decadence

we make eating fun

Grilled goodness

It isn’t southern but it is comfort

Comfort-able food

Feel good fun food

Good food, good feelings

Food…It’s back

Grown up food for kids

fun food for grown ups

Say Cheese and Smile

Just a few thoughts, Glenn...anything that says comfort/vintage/warm could turn some people off. You said that you're not even nuts about the phrase 'comfort food'! And it occurs to me that 'warm' could be great during cold weather, but when it's July, you still want customers, right? Getting off the soapbox now.

My suggestions:

Melt: Real ooze and aaahs!

Melt: Purveyors of Happy (or Happiness)

Melt: We cook happy!

Melt: Your happy place

Melt: Make your tummy smile

Happiness starts with a melt

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

"We sell food" :biggrin:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

"Many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese -- toasted, mostly."

Robert Louis Stevenson

Dairy...Daily...Delicious (or Delightful, or Delectable)

Wipe Your Chin << the kids like this one "It's what Mom says"

Sandwiches and Shakes - Day and Night

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Seems to me that it isn't obvious to the uninitiated that "Melt" means grilled cheese - so I think it's important to mention grilled cheese in the slogan.

MELT: Grilled Cheese Reinvented

MELT: Heavenly Grilled Cheese

MELT: The NEW Grilled Cheese

MELT: The Grilled Cheese Dreams are Made of

MELT: The Grilled Cheese Cafe

MELT: The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Cafe

But I think I like this best:

MELT: Grilled Cheese for Grownups

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I think of answering the phone with the slogan.

Melt: More Than Grilled Cheese

or

Melt: The Grilled Cheese Cafe

I could say these without getting tongue twisted or annoyed saying over and over and over and over. Short, to the point, mentions grilled cheese, no reference to mom, comfort, or retro.

Grilled Cheese for Grownups. AWESOME!!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I also think something like:

"Grilled Cheese Raised to New Heights"

or

"Elevating Grilled Cheese"

or

"Grilled Cheese that's Out of This World"

or

"Grilled Cheese as it was meant to be"

I'll keep pondering....

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Melt: A toast to cheese

This is on a slight tangent. Our last 2 times in Portland ME earlier this year, we've walked past a cafe under construction. Big front window, one little sign in the middle, you have to walk right up to it to read it. The sign says:

(Insert name of cafe)

Foot sanctuary & tea parlor

I've totally forgotten the name of the place but the slogan sticks.

Not suggesting that you rip it off, but I think it's an example of a slogan that does what it's supposed to do.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Familar fare, flavors that are rare

Melting for you daily 8-8

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

My suggestions are not witty, but I toss them out anyway. I do think that Melt is quite clever, but back when you were choosing the name, I really liked Glenn's Grilled Cheese (it wasn't my suggestion even) and I think a reason may have been given that it tells people what you actually specialize in. So my suggestion is one of the tag lines that has "grilled cheese" in it. A permutation of one that's already tossed out, such as Grown-up Grilled Cheese, or Grilled Cheese for Grown-ups. Or "Melt: We Make Grilled Cheese Right!", or "Melt: Grilled Cheese with Choices", "Melt: Grilled Cheese Never Tasted So Good", "Melt: Explore the World of Grilled Cheese". Or "Melt: Grilled Cheese with Strings Attached" (or Grilled Cheese, Strings Attached).

And violating my own rule, "Melt: There's Gooey Goodness Inside"

Well, hope this helps.

Edited to add 2 items.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's