• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

I like MELT. If I worked in the building I'd want to give it a try. CHEESE LOUISE is good too, though you are going to forever be asked who Louise is. You might want to make up a fictional Louise character if you go with that name. Then again you might get dubbed cheese lousy if you don't come through with good food.

how about THE BIG CHEESE? Assuming you intend to have fairly large portion sizes. That sounds like Jersey City to me.

I'm afraid my least favorite option is meltshake ... makes me think tuna melt milkshake? ew. Cheeseshake has the same issue for me. It just doesn't sound tasty. Or is it something cheese junkies get if they don't get a fix, the cheeseshakes. :biggrin:

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

that said, i think "Hoboken Melt" would have a lot more legs than "Jersey City Melt" across the country, but that might change what with JC becoming the next hoboken. or whatever it's becoming.

Either would have more legs than "3 Mile Island Melt."

Or at least a better vibe.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Glenn--What add ons will you have besides tomato and bacon?

ham and egg. To be expanded.

And for the record, I LOVE CHEESE LOUISE.

[i'm so dizzy with this business plan! I've only been working on it for 3 months. I thought I only saved a "few" things to the end.]

How about:

Ooze and Ahhs?

ok, never mind.

or if you need to "downscale" a classy name like "Melts", what about "Ultimate Melts" or something like that?

or "Grilled Cheese, Please"

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The decor will definitley not be retro. Wipe all visions of jukeboxes (unless it has the Ramones), Johnny Rockets and Fatburger from your mind! Funky modern was my inititial thought - with internet access of course. Unless I'm in the lobby of one of the investment buildings, then the funk might have to go. But warehouse chic sounds very cool. If only I could figure out what that was.

Rosie, personally the only toppings I would ever put on grilled cheese are tomatoes and mustard. However, in her book, Marlena suggests vinegary pickles, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet, tangy spicy pickles, mustard, sweet tangy homemade chutneys (that sounds cool), vegetables, cured meats, salsa and fresh fruit. However, just so ya know, vegetables are banned at Melt. And if I had my way, so would diet anything.

Forget Cheese Louise. Now I have nightmares of being known forever as Cheese Loser.

And as things move along, I need to start thinking of a logo. Assuming I can think of a name! Regardless of the name, I'd like to incorporate a picture of the Jersey City skyline. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything appropriate. Anyone know of one?

If you're concerned with Melt, what about Melted?

Or, to expand on your idea of Grill and Chill --how about Grills and Chills?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I mentioned this thread to Blovie and he suggests: The Dairy Double.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How about

Hague's Shakes & Curds

in honor of one of Jersey City's own, Frank "I Am The Law" Hague. The logo could be a money bag with grilled cheese sandwiches falling out.

Some sample grilled cheese sandwiches:

The Tommy Gangemi, with provolone, named after the mayor who had to resign when it was learned he wasn't a U.S. citizen.

The Edward I. Edwards, with blue cheese, named after the one-term governor Hague elected who later turned on the boss by founding the State Police (the first commissioner, who pursued the Lindbergh kidnappng case, was none other than Norman Schwarzkopf Sr., yes, father of the Gulf War honcho).

The Bret Schundler, American process cheese food with Oscar Meyer ham.

The Thomas Whelan, with only one slice of cheese, because he was removed from office.

The Gerald McCann, with the other slice of cheese, since he, too, was removed from office.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Regardless of the name, I'd like to incorporate a picture of the Jersey City skyline.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything appropriate.  Anyone know of one?

do you mean today's skyline? or perhaps next week's. don't get too tied in to a skyline. you know better. (that said, the colgate clock is the only thing that has survived the skyline in JC for more than 10 years...and in fact, it will probably remain until we're both dead. with any luck).

Ooze and Ahhs. i like that. i really really like that. excellent work, randi. take a raise out of ePettychash. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

Regardless of the name, I'd like to incorporate a picture of the Jersey City skyline.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything appropriate.  Anyone know of one?

do you mean today's skyline? or perhaps next week's. don't get too tied in to a skyline. you know better. (that said, the colgate clock is the only thing that has survived the skyline in JC for more than 10 years...and in fact, it will probably remain until we're both dead. with any luck).

Ooze and Ahhs. i like that. i really really like that. excellent work, randi. take a raise out of ePettychash. :smile:

As someone who deals all the time with clients naming businesses (and URLs, for those who don't go the eponymous route), I must caution, strongly, against visual puns (such as "Ooze and Ahhs").

You don't want a URL you have to spell, or which uses special pronunciation. It has to be clear from the git-go.

Because.

That's why I couldn't use (as much as I liked) "TasteDuds" or "HotTogs" for my food designs.

Clever is clever, but brilliant contains everything.

If you don't take Melt, someone else may. If they haven't already.

Either way, avoid cleverness that needs an explanation.

i can appreciate that puns are often hard to translate into URLs, especially when one is typing into an address box in a browser. and they are hard to search on regardless. but, there are so many ways of finding URLs these days, that i bet, with smart submission, "grilled cheese jersey city" would return the URL.

in fact, there are a few restaurants whose names i don't remember exactly, or can't spell because they're foreign words, or whatever, and i use google (or one of many other search engine-type sites) as "spell check," with excellent results. one thought is that every business or presence need not be "unique" in the sense that it's "tommy.com". there are plenty of "tommy.com"s. the idea is that there needs to be a path to each of them, given a few more parameters...which is why google is so successful.

i suppose on those points we disagree. it's a consideration, but certainly not a show-stopper. not with the right marketing and the right internet presence.

Edited by tommy (log)