• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

How about MeltShake?

Edit: Or Melt & Shake? 'tho that could be some sort of sex shop... :laugh:

Melts & Shakes? JC Melts? JC Melts & Shakes? Glenn's MeltShakes?

Oh, help.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You know, you could start a Jersey trend to combat Philly...call it CheeseShakes! :laugh:

Oh, and I loooooove Cheese Louise. Even if Louise has no connection to the place. That's funny, Blondie!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

i can appreciate your concerns about "Melt" sounding too "upscale", but i think you should consider who your customers might very well be: upper middle class folk working/living near your place. or is there another demographic that you're aiming for?

Melt is the clear winner. wfnugent just got wfriggin lucky on that one.

as far as a tag line goes, that's another issue. "Jeez that's good cheese!" came to mind somewhere in the middle of a hotdog earlier. i suppose Jeez is a play on JC, which you don't like, but it's a bit better than "Jesus Christ that's good cheese!", which is probably right out.

edit: i guess it should be "...good *grilled* cheese". bobolink makes good cheese. glenn not so much. but he makes good grilled cheese.

Edited by tommy (log)

"Jesus Christ that's good cheese!"

I officially vote for this slogan. :wub: In fact, I'm gonna make bumper stickers.

Glenn, I'm curious, can you give us a few examples of the types of shakes and grilled c.heese sandwiches. The different types of cheeses, the ways you're going to cook them, will it be only grilled or will you press them. I mean you could specialize in Wisconsin cheese and call the place " The Green Bay Cheese Head Shop". I could use a little more background in your operation.

An name for an establishment is crucial for your identity. It evokes everything you look to present to the paying public. You don't get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression

"Melt" immediately brings to mind the infamous Tuna Melt.

Are you going to be serving that kind of "melt" sandwich, or are you going to be a cheese-only purist?

Melt I think will lead your customers to expect stuff in their cheese.

Personally I like the name Melt, but it may set up certain expectations.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Oooh, ooh, I got it! How's about: SHAKE SHACK!!!

:laugh:

OK, seriously, I was going to suggest "Melting" if you didn't like the simplicity of "Melt" however, it has some other things going for it that the JC references don't. First off, do you think you will ever have another location? Is this a franchisable idea (not just over the horizen, but someday)? Then I don't think you should have a JC reference in the name.

However, the number 1 reason why Melt is a great name: The sign will be cheaper.

~~~

Also, here's a link for Marlena's new book:

0811841294.01._PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg Grilled Cheese: Fifty Recipes to Make you Melt

Another idea: Ever see when restaurants offer books related to their food/restaurant/community/their chef authored/etc. for sale? I think you should have a small section of these types of books. You could offer Grilled Cheese, Cheese Primer, Soda Fountain Classics, and other books like that, maybe one on the history of Jersey City (even a Jersey City Laminated Street Map).

Are you going to have seating, or is it going to be strictly take away? If you have seating, you could have sample copies of the books out for people to look at (boldly write Melt's Sample Copy on the over and along the edge of the pages) while they're in the shop.

Glenn, I'm curious, can you give us a few examples of the types of shakes and grilled c.heese sandwiches. The different types of cheeses, the ways you're going to cook them, will it be only grilled or will you press them. I mean you could specialize in Wisconsin cheese and call the place " The Green Bay Cheese Head Shop". I could use a little more background in your operation.
My concept is to keep things simple and not have a complicated menu. With an expansive menu, I feel I would lose control over quality. Not to mention the many other benefits of keeping things simple.

I don't think specializing in a particular type of cheese is a good idea for JC, though it might work well in NYC. At this point, my menu (in progress) calls for the following cheeses (with combos available) - american, provolone, monterrey jack, mozzarella, cheddar, buffalo cheddar, cheddar & pepperoni, swiss and muenster. Sandwiches will be made with a panini press only. By doing this, I avoid the need to have a vent system and the required permits by the bldg. department. This saves a lot of money as I'm sure you can imagine. Shakes being considered are vanilla, ultra chocolate, strawberry, black and white, coffee, banana, green tea, mango, espresso bean, milk chocolate and strawberry cheesecake. And a cheese and shake of the week.

Up until a week ago, I had a partner who has an established business in which this business was more or less a copy of. We've had a parting of ways. It would have been a good fit - his operational experience with my financial background. As I stated somewhere else, I have no professional cooking experience other than being around restaurants for nearly 15 years. At first I was really bummed and considered (momentarily) dropping the idea. After some consideration, I realized that this guy can easily be replaced and if I may say so, good riddance. I have already found a solution in the way of 2 consultants with very specific experience. One is a pastry chef who I worked with in the past.

I have my doubts at times. Maybe tommy was right - "glenn's crazy folly." My first business. No cooking experience. Scary stuff. On the other hand, I have a financial background, knowledge of the industry, a willingness to learn and research and do whatever it takes to make the business successful. Plus a love for shakes and grilled cheese doesn't hurt.

Location, even within JC, will be a determining factor for the tone of the business and the rest of the menu. For example, if I get space inside one of the major investment firms by the waterfront, I (grudgingly) may add health-conscience items like yogurt smoothies and light paninis. And I couldn't give it the funky decor that I would if it's located on the more grittier Grove St., aka, restaurant row.

Chilltown???  I grew up in Jersey City and never heard that expression. What does it mean and where did it come from?

Whew! I was embarrassed to say I never heard that either.

How about  "Say Cheese Melt??"

Keep trying :-)

I think Melt would be a great name if I'm located in one of the office buildings on the waterfront. I like so many of the names though, it's hard to choose. Cheech's suggestion, "Shake & Cheese", is certainly descriptive enough as well as short. JC Melt is another one I like. In any event, since I have to sort of finalize a business plan (since I have to start presenting it), for the time being, it's Melt.

Rachel, my business plan calls for a certain size establishment which will fit seating for 40. I do have a plan though that would have much less seating (or more). You have no idea how difficult it is coming up with a business plan before having a space. Another unknown - takeout/delivery.

Many thanks to everyone.

Also, here's a link for Marlena's new book:0811841294.01._PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg      Grilled Cheese: Fifty Recipes to Make you Melt

A grilled cheese recipe book? I can imagine:

Recipe 1: Two slices of white bread, two slices of american cheese, butter.

Recipe 2: Two slices of white bread, two slices of swiss cheese, butter.

Recipe 3: Two slices of whole wheat bread, two slices of american cheese, butter.

Recipe 4: Two slices of whole wheat bread, two slices of swiss cheese, butter.

Recipe 5: Two slices of white bread, two slices of amercian cheese, two slices of bacon, butter.

Recipe 6: Two slices of white bread, two slices of swiss cheese, two slices of bacon, butter.

Recipe 50: Two slices of brioche (recipe on page __), one dollop of hollandaise (recipe on page __), two slcies of cave-aged Cabrales (sources listed in index), three rounds of slow-braised Elysian fields pork belly (recipe on page __), two slices of organically grown heirloom tomato.

(I'm just teasing. :biggrin: )

Edited by Stone (log)

First off, do you think you will ever have another location? Is this a franchisable idea (not just over the horizen, but someday)? Then I don't think you should have a JC reference in the name.

that can work both ways, and i can't think of any instances where it was detrimental to a business to be associated with a city or locale. Jersey Mike's Subs is a good example of a local place that franchised and can now be found in states other than NJ, and it's presumably doing well.

that said, i think "Hoboken Melt" would have a lot more legs than "Jersey City Melt" across the country, but that might change what with JC becoming the next hoboken. or whatever it's becoming.

I like Melt and Cheeseshake, but in reading through the thread again, I think Cheese Louise is friendly, adds a personal feel by adding the proper name...but my family always used the expression "jeez louise" to express dismay. ..so as that as my reference,t he name might be more appealing to me. BUT imagine walking by and seeing the sign....the proper name really creates a more "approachable" feel"...less corporate, if you know waht I mean. It also creates an expectation of selections similiar to what you outlined.

Cheesechake is fun and by that name, I'd also expect the selections you mentioned. Melt is more upscale and I would expect more imported cheeses, bread selections, flavored mayos, "brie with rasperry chutney" melts. ( BTW, , this is one of my fav grilled cheeses..I use brie and .don't laugh..a thin layer of raspberry jam, sourdough or hearty wheat..then make it the regular buttered bread way...I digress.)

And Glenn...good for you! I think its great that youare taking the plunge.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

How about Cheesi Panini? Well, Glenn's Cheese Panini. I like the idea of putting your name there. The interesting thing about the restaurant, any restaurant, is the personality. If I'm spending 5.50 for a sandwich I can make at home, I want a lot of Glenn along with it.

Oops, Cheesi Panini was a typing mistake, but it has a ring to it.