• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melt: Naming, Planning, Preopening

glenn

The dream is coming closer to reality. I broke off with my partner and am on my own. As a result, I need my own name.

The store will be located in jersey city. The primary menu items are grilled cheese sandwiches and milkshakes. Quality will be key and the goal is to get voted/rated as having Jersey's best grilled cheese and milkshake. There will be other products but the menu will depend on our exact location. Right now I have several locations pending. So, I need a name, at least to stick in my business plan. Lacking any imagination whatever, help! So far all I've come up with is Jersey City Grilled Cheese Factory or Jersey City Grilled Cheese Company.

[to the all powerful and knowing moderator - please keep this in the jersey section. ]

Glenn's Crazy Folly.

personally i'm not a fan of the "company" and "factory" bit, although i can see how "factory" might speak to Jersey City, depending on your location.

JCGC & Shake - and steal the CBGB omfug logo. and play rock music.

or steal the AC/DC logo. and play rock music.

or don't steal any logo and just go with it. has a ring to it methinks.

what types of locations are you looking at?

Edited by tommy (log)

Glenn's Crazy Folly.

personally i'm not a fan of the "company" and "factory" bit, although i can see how "factory" might speak to Jersey City, depending on your location.

JCGC & Shake - and steal the CBGB omfug logo.  and play rock music. 

or steal the AC/DC logo.  and play rock music.

or don't steal any logo and just go with it.  has a ring to it methinks.

what types of locations are you looking at?

I agree about not particularly likeing "company" and "factory." But as you said, factory is definitlely appropos to JC.

I really really like JCGC & Shake. I was trying to keep away from using "JC" anything so as not to get branded an establishment selling holy water or something. but I do like that.

AC/DC is out. Go get your own place if you want that schlock! In any event, one fo the places under consideration is the Goldman Sachs building. I'd really have to tone it down if that happens, but that's my #1 choice so far. All the other locales are in or around the downtown financial district. It's unbelievable what's going on just outside the finanical district - condos being built left and right all the way up to the water. Kind of like Hoboken, at least 10 years ago.

how about "Grilled and Chilled"

thank you very much

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I like it simple and to the point

Glenn's - For Hot Buttered Fun

or simpler still..

MELT like Craft or March

Edited by wfnugent (log)

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

How are you positioning your concept? Yupscale foodies or Rutt Hut common folk? (please don't say both) I like the name "Melt" a lot, especially for the former positioning, but if you are going after everyman the name may come across as a bit offputting, intimidating.

Now on to more important matters, if you are ready to talk about same. What is going to make your grilled cheese sandwiches the best in Jersey?

Good luck, much success, and keep us all up to date as your quest comes to fruition.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

One other idea. I was taught this by a guy named Coffey who was president of an ad agency named Weightman. He was seriously considering changing the name from Weightman to something like Charles Coffey Associates. His thinking: when Charlie Coffey of Weightman Advertising walks into a company to pitch his agency, it is impressive. But when Charles Coffey of Charles Coffey Associates delivers the same presentation it is very impressive.

(Charlie gave me this advice over lunch as he was firing me because we had lost our fast food client and, at the same time, offering to put together investors to open my restaurant - perhaps the greatest severance package in history)

Anyway despite my waspish lowkeyness, I took his advice - the Upstairs Cafe became Holly Moore's Upstairs Cafe. It was the start of some name recognition in a major city (Philadelphia) that has served me well in a number of ways over the years. And, as I was an active presence in the dining room, it was a plus when Holly Moore of Holly Moore's stopped by a table to chat, as opposed to just the owner of the Upstairs Cafe.

All of which leads to the pedestrian but totally communicating:

Glenn's Grilled Cheese

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It has got to be Melt! And you have to get a really good artist come up with a great conceptual logo that will incorporate both the melted grilled cheese and the melting milkshake.

Melt is too cool!

Melt. It has to be Melt. If you were open right now, and the place was named Melt, I would be driving to JC right now.

Nugent, you are a genius!

edit: Cheeseshakes is darn good too....Real good...

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

If you decide not to use Melt, how about:

JayCee's Grilled Cheese?

or

HotCheez

or JayCee's HotCheez

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

How are you positioning your concept?  Yupscale foodies or Rutt Hut common folk?  (please don't say both)  I like the name "Melt" a lot, especially for the former positioning, but if you are going after everyman the name may come across as a bit offputting, intimidating.

I'm not crazy about the terminology, but the positioning is upscale. However, how upscale can a grilled cheese/ice cream place be? The sandwiches are gonna average about $5.50. That's my problem with Melt. It sounds too upscale.

Now on to more important matters, if you are ready to talk about same.  What is going to make your grilled cheese sandwiches the best in Jersey?

If I told you I'd have to subject you to AC/DC at 200 wattts for 2 hours rendering your life useless.

The honest answer -- I dunno... YET. But I will. In any event, I'll be using the best of ingredients and am looking for the best equipment. I intend to experiment using established ideas from others. I have hands on help from an expert plus Marlena Spieler's book is chock full of ideas. [see below] I'm far from a culinary expert but I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to learn grilled cheese or milk shakes. Just talking to knowledgeable people and reading recipes and experimenting. That's the gist of it.

I recently saw that there is a new cookbook just on Grilled Cheese sandwiches. Don't remember where. Might have been Food Arts.
You must be referring to Marlena Spieler's awesome book, "Grilled Cheese." There's a thread, well 2 threads I think, on eglutton lauding her wonderful book and other things grilled cheese. I picked it up as soon as I heard about it [thank you Rachel!] and it's quite inspiring.
All of which leads to the pedestrian but totally communicating:

Glenn's Grilled Cheese

Go ahead, confuse me some more! I like that! Especially the big bold print. :-)

Thanks to everyone. I'm now totally and completely confused.

Genius may be too strong a word.

Extraordinarily mediocre but devilishly handsome and with a deep affinity for high calorie dairy products served immediately adjacent to fried goodness and too much time on his hands at the office might be a better, wordier description.

I kind of liked Hot Buttered Fun, but if you guys like MELT, I defer to the greater egulletness of this esteemed body of experts.

All I ask in return is a sandwich and a shake to guide her by.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me