• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenGadgetMania... what can't you live without?

StudentChefEclipse

If I had no choice but to spend it on kitchen stuff, no guilt about not spending it on groceries? How much time you got? :biggrin:

In no particular order

food processor

stand mixer

immersible blender

cooling rack where the wires go both ways to make squares (like Alton Brown's)

8 x 8 pan

10-inch skillet with straight sides

3 quart saucepan

stockpot

roasting pan with rack

TOAST AND SERVE!

Toaster to go with the Toast-n-serve!

Toaster oven that also broils

Oxo vegetable peeler (b/c my 7-year-old son was all excited about helping me peel potatoes and he just couldn't get my persnickety one to work--he spent a half-hour on one potato before giving up in tears, broke my heart)

New BIG cutting boards!

A chef's knife, paring knife, and serrated bread knife!

baking half-sheets

full set of baking pans

big pot with colander-type insert for pasta

metal colander

mesh strainer basket with handles that stretch to fit the sink

flour sifter

small mesh strainer

cheesecloth

can opener

sharpening steel

set of wooden spoons

spring-loaded tongs

a couple more heat-resistant spatulas (I already have one and it's great)

13-inch spatter screen

a grill

See, I don't ask for much! :rolleyes: I'd better stop now before I think of more stuff. :raz:

Rachel Sincere

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there is a 'Gadget-of-the-Month' Club anywhere...then of course one would have to join a 'Monthly-Storage-Solution-For-Your-Kitchen Gadgets' Club.... :rolleyes:

I'm with the Wolf stove people. Can I add a nice solid butcher block table and about five of the best knives available?

No. Wait. I need a good dishwasher and a larger Kitchen Aid mixer. And some attachments.

Can we make this ten thousand or so, StudentChefEclipse? Pretty please? :smile:

I wonder if there is a 'Gadget-of-the-Month' Club anywhere...then of course one would have to join a 'Monthly-Storage-Solution-For-Your-Kitchen Gadgets' Club.... :rolleyes:

I'm with the Wolf stove people. Can I add a nice solid butcher block table and about five of the best knives available?

No. Wait. I need a good dishwasher and a larger Kitchen Aid mixer. And some attachments.

Can we make this ten thousand or so, StudentChefEclipse? Pretty please? :smile:

Isn't fantasy great? $10K it is! :laugh:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

I love kitchen gadgets!! New, old, weird, odd, pretty, pretty ugly, scary. I love finding "treasures" that have been mislabeled and getting them for a fraction of what they are worth.

Or stumbling across a rare piece of kitchen gadgetry at a yard sale and getting it for cheap.

Being a hidebound know-it-all, I also take great pleasure in sticking a pin in a pompass ass who is going on and on about how desirable something is when trying to make a sale to a novice collector. When said vendor is trying to sell a farm related item to a guy that thinks he is buyin something used by early auto mechanics to pump oil, I sidle up and mention that "Gee, you have a hand-cranked cream separator just like we had on the farm when I was a kid." Then move away quickly.

I could find something to spend 5 k on but I would have to think a bit.

I can already find numerous excuses as to why I have to have something...Right Now!!

I could always use some more knives. I love knives.

There is this site

Toys for Grownups

That discusses gadgets.

Actually there is something I want - a new chocolate temperer. My old machine (14 years old) is not behaving well. The temperature does not remain steady and I have to keep adjusting it. The new ones are really slick. And I think I want to get one of those supersized pasta rolling machines. Oh yeah, I can spend five big ones in a heartbeat.......

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The toy I want the most right now but can't afford:  a laser thermometer for checking serving temperatures of food and cooking surfaces.

Like this???

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love kitchen gadgets!!  New, old, weird, odd, pretty, pretty ugly, scary.  I love finding "treasures" that have been mislabeled and getting them for a fraction of what they are worth. 

Or stumbling across a rare piece of kitchen gadgetry at a yard sale and getting it for cheap.

Being a hidebound know-it-all, I also take great pleasure in sticking a pin in a pompass ass who is going on and on about how desirable something is when trying to make a sale to a novice collector.  When said vendor is trying to sell a farm related item to a guy that thinks he is buyin something used by early auto mechanics to pump oil, I sidle up and mention that "Gee, you have a hand-cranked cream separator just like we had on the farm when I was a kid."  Then move away quickly. 

I could find something to spend 5 k on but I would have to think a bit. 

I can already find numerous excuses as to why I have to have something...Right Now!!

I could always use some more knives.  I love knives. 

You are a lady after my own heart! I think we are twins!

• 3 weeks later...

More kitchen gadgetry to buy. Or rather already bought.

A "friend" who knows my propensity for buying kitchen gadgetry directed me to this item:

Rev N Chef

which I really don't need, but it looks so neat in the video demo I just had to order it.

I already have some of the one-handed pepper mills (also salt mills) which are great in some situations, as well as the one-handed can opener and the safety peeler, so am familiar with this company.

They come up with the neatest gadgetry.

I have a list of several others I have come across in recently perused catalogs.

Anyone else have something new and interesting on their Holiday wish list???

Inquiring minds want to know....

Being a hidebound know-it-all, I also take great pleasure in sticking a pin in a pompass ass who is going on and on about how desirable something is when trying to make a sale to a novice collector.  When said vendor is trying to sell a farm related item to a guy that thinks he is buyin something used by early auto mechanics to pump oil, I sidle up and mention that "Gee, you have a hand-cranked cream separator just like we had on the farm when I was a kid."  Then move away quickly. 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think those thoughts when I look on eBay at the collectible kitchen gadgets. An amazing number of sellers have no clue what a china hat is for, or how a tomato press is supposed to work, and their descriptions are hilarious. I've seen some very strange labels attached to Wearever citrus juicers, too.

Edited to add: I'd really need at least $15,000 to add on to the kitchen so I could fit in more gadgets. At present, $5000 would buy my much-needed range hood but I'd have no place to put the vent outlet!

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and have picked up some really rare finds when the person selling it had no idea what it was and the description was so vague that probably most people didn't bother to look at the photo.

I got a beautifuly made French duck press (which I gave to a very good friend for Christmas last year) for 48.00. It is silverplated and needed polishing. The seller called it a "Pewter-look, fruit juicer".

Heh, heh, heh!!!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

A maid.

:shock: Now why didn't I think of that? :wacko:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown