• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To Market, To Market

doggirl

Well, I finally broke down and bought my husband the Caja China roaster box for our anniversary. Now I need to find the pig!! We live in Northern Bergen County, but I suppose I can travel if need be. Any suggestions of where I could track down a whole pig? Preferably from someone willing to butterfly it for me?

Lastly- if you have any pig preparation tips other than those already offered on other threads, I'd be forever grateful!!

THANKS

I'm betting that Fink could be of some assistance here!! See if you can reach him at Fink's Catering...Phone: 201-634-1319 or Email Fink directly

Hope that's a start!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I think your best shot would be at Bieler's at the PA Dutch Farmers Market in the Kingston Mall on Route 27, a bit north of Princeton. This is where the competitors I talked to at the NJ State Barbecue Championship got their meats.

Call them at 609-683-5260. They're open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays only.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

When I used to work in the Ironbound section of Newark I drove past Seabra's Supermarket every morning (on Wilson Avenue).

There were usually trucks unloading specialty foods and I often saw whole pigs being unloaded and carried into the market.

So I would guess they have them available.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne