• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

got date

ozgirl06

EGulleteers, I've come to the experts for help.

I have a potentially hot date coming up a week from Saturday and it's my job to pick the locale. I would like to come up with a couple of options in terms of price ranges. I had Restaurant Eve in mind for the higher end of the price scale and haven't really come up with a lower end option. (Lower end price range defined as Spices/Zaytinya equivalent).

I have some restrictions though... I don't eat meat or shellfish (dairy and fish are ok) and my date would rather not do Italian cuisine.

Some of our favourite restaurants include: Zaytinya, Palena, Spices, Jaleo, and DC Coast. We'd love to try someplace new. Ideally, I would love to try Minibar, but I fear that it is cost prohibitive and with such short notice wouldn't be able to land a reservation.

Can anyone recommend suggestions for a fun atmosphere (a la Zaytinya), with food options that could meet both of our restrictions that would fall into either a "cheap-ish eats" or a moderately priced place category?

Oh yeah, geographic locations - DC and N. Va please.

Thanks everyone!!

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

Can anyone recommend suggestions for a fun atmosphere (a la Zaytinya), with food options that could meet both of our restrictions that would fall into either a "cheap-ish eats" or a moderately priced place category?

Bistrot du Coin.

Mussels and accordians.

What could be more romantic?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

BdC is good in that it can so noisy you WILL be forced to lean close to each other. How much hotter can it get? Just make sure your date ends before midnight on Saturday, when the place is taken over by riffraff and all manner of unseemliness ensues.

Seriously, though, Little Fountain Cafe in Adams Morgan has long been a good romantic choice. It's not too terribly cheap, but not all that expensive, either.

Dragonfly is trendy and somewhat romance-ish because it's darkened.

Tabard Inn. Not cheap, of course.

Piccolo in Georgetown (on ambience.)

NOT Mimi's (singing waiters!!!).

Resident Twizzlebum

Ah, the BdC... a well-lknown fave among this group. :wink: (I have been a long time lurker on this board.) Sadly, each time I walk past the restaurant and check the menu there is little/no options for me. Much pork and shellfish... heaven for most, just not for me. (i know, i know, call me crazy.) thanks for recommendation and the lighthearted humour.

Any other ideas, anyone for places along the lines of the BdC, but that might offer a fish (the scaly kind) dish?

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Yikes I have to disagree with two of these, Dragonfly and Johnny Half Shell is not the place for romantic dining. Too loud. And BdC had to be a joke, right?

What about Mantis, Little Fountain, Kuna (again a bit loud), Al Tiramisou, Bistro Lepic (upstairs is very nice and you can eat there)?

Edited by DCMark (log)

If you don't think price or availability for Minibar would work, how about the rest of Cafe Atlantico?

What about drinks at Reef or Local 16 on either rooftop and then on to someplace like Mantis or Cashion's for dinner?

I've had some fantastic fish at Firefly recently (cozy and romantic, sort of opposite of Zaytinya).

I'd also ditto Little Fountain Cafe, but again, might not fit your Zaytinya atmosphere desires.

Have you tried Ceiba?

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

I'm going to make a whacky recommendation. Meyhane on Pennsylvania Ave. Turkish food-- and on Saturday nights they have BELLY DANCING. The wine list pretty much blows, but the food is surprisingly good. There are a lot of veggie options and it's a fun atmosphere. The place has good bang for the buck-- and what's more romantic than a phrase like that? :blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

How about Bistro Bis? And for ambiance and foods not bad Mie N YU? I am pretty Sure Bistro Du Coin was a joke. Nectars has a certain Je ne sais quoi and Jared could sing for you....

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I second (third? fourth?) Firefly. Great food, wonderful atmosphere. Always vegetarian and fish options too. Definitely not Italian.

I also like Mantis if you're up for a lounge-meal-with-cocktails.

BdC is fun and enjoyable, but not at all romantic and yeah, lots of meat.

I hate to disagree with raisab, but the food at Mie n Yu IMHO is awful-awful-awful (and not cheap). It's an OK place for cocktails though.

Still thinking.

Corduroy. Quiet, great food, GREAT wine list.

You can gaze into each other's eyes all night or whatever else people do on dates.

BdC is not a joke. It is a multi-purpose wining and dining emporium.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

A totally non-expert suggestion here, as I'm from out of town, but I enjoyed Komi on my single visit, and found it reasonably priced, and would enjoy it for a date. There's a thread here somewhere a ways back.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Every single word I've read here about Firefly and about/from John W would make that my first choice, instantly and without hesitation.

I am completely impressed. If it's not the real deal, I don't know what is.

The only web site for Firefly that I could find: doesn't the Kimpton Group believe in having a full-fledged site for a full-fledged restaurant? It should stand on its own, shouldn't it?

</"web site designer who wants better online representation for good entities" mode>

Every single word I've read here about Firefly and about/from John W would make that my first choice, instantly and without hesitation.

I am completely impressed. If it's not the real deal, I don't know what is. 

The only web site for Firefly that I could find: doesn't the Kimpton Group believe in having a full-fledged site for a full-fledged restaurant? It should stand on its own, shouldn't it?

</"web site designer who wants better online representation for good entities" mode>

We are working on it as we speak. It's almost finished.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

I hate to disagree with raisab, but the food at Mie n Yu IMHO is awful-awful-awful (and not cheap). It's an OK place for cocktails though.

Still thinking.

No, please do, honestly all I ever eat ther is the Foie Gras and a salad plus wine. But it is a neat place if you can get one of the tent like booths.

-An American in Paris

I beg to differ regarding Bistro Bis. Posh, yes, great food, yes, politico sighting, yes. Romantic, no. To be more accurate, there are, like, three tables in the entire place that qualify as romantic - meaning, a table that I would pick to make pretty eyes with someone. If you are planning a visit, feel free to PM me, and I'll tell you the table number to request.

Resident Twizzlebum

Well after 18 years of marriage and three kids, anything can be romantic al long as I am alone with the one I love! :wink:

-An American in Paris

I just wanted to post a quick message to say thank you for everyone's input.

I decided on Firefly for tomorrow night. I'm really excited and very much looking forward to a great dining experience.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

To turn the romantic date into an amorous one, DEFINITELY order the oysters.  :laugh:

IF they work like they're supposed to, anyway :cool:

For the best sexy-time food, I say, load up on the darkest chocolate known to man. Although the best tip food-wise has to be to Not Get Stuffed.

Resident Twizzlebum

IF they work like they're supposed to, anyway  :cool:

For the best sexy-time food, I say, load up on the darkest chocolate known to man.  Although the best tip food-wise has to be to Not Get Stuffed.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC